heavy duty ethernet cable?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
so far ive gone through two ethernet cables since i got my axe 2
the little locking plastic piece keeps breaking off the cable connector.
does anyone know if a higher quality cable, maybe one with a metal connector instead of cheap flimsy plastic?

thanks

looks like another plastic end cable. is it worth the money or will i have the same problem? i plug it in and unplug the cable very often and the locking piece gets worn out pretty easily.

I added an Ethercon jack (pass thru type) to my TT pedalboard. Also installed one on a single space rack panel in the rear of the rack. 2 short cat5 patch cords from Ethercon jacks on either end to MFC and AF2. I don't trust PCB mounted RJ45 jacks, they all eventually break off internally. The Ethercon connection is very solid and if you use the pass thru type, you don't have to worry about the pin-out--Plug and Play. It's been working well for me.

I added an Ethercon jack (pass thru type) to my TT pedalboard. Also installed one on a single space rack panel in the rear of the rack. 2 short cat5 patch cords from Ethercon jacks on either end to MFC and AF2. I don't trust PCB mounted RJ45 jacks, they all eventually break off internally. The Ethercon connection is very solid and if you use the pass thru type, you don't have to worry about the pin-out--Plug and Play. It's been working well for me.

What a great idea! do you have ay links to what you used?

Like this a lot ... clever idea that makes a lot of sense! thanks

Buy a RJ45 crimper/stripper, bag of RJ45 connectors and some outdoor direct burial Cat5 cable. Probably a network cable tester too. The stuff is fairly cheap and you can put new ends on the cable as needed. The outdoor CAT5 cable has a nice heavy jacket on it compared to the usual CAT5 cable.

Something like this would work. I'm seeing an offer for the crimper, connectors and cable tester for $25
Amazon.com: TRENDnet RJ-11/RJ-45 Crimp/Cut/Strip Tool TC-CT68 (Blue): Home Improvement

The ethercon jacks I used are pass thru type with a regular RJ45 jack on the rear. Similar to what you are looking at but mountable with 2 screws.

Liking the pass throughs. No problem with the rack mount side as I have a 1U blank with 8 D type holes already on the rear of my rack. No idea how Id put one on my pedalboard though :( Unledd I tru and cut out part of the board (its pretty flimsy in truth - good enough to hold the MFC and one pedal though) and screw the adaptor directly into the case.

Another quick Q - only just occured to me. Does the MCF power through the Ethernet as well? Im sure it does - but Im using 7 Pim midi with my standard but was hoping to go ethernet when I get my 2, but I need power downt he same cable.

Yep, sure does.

I went from a 7-pin midi cable powering the MFC from my Ultra to the CAT5 on the Axe-F II and It works great.

Another bonus is you do not need the power supply to be plugged into the back of the Axe-FX II if you use the CAT5 option... The Axe-FX II takes care of the power....nice!

The one problem is that CAT5 connectors are so weak, they are really not designed for this level of heavy duty usage where someone may kick the cable and put quite a bit of strain on the connector.

I'm considering installing Ethercon connectors but don't want to void my warranty so I would have to send it back to the factor for installation if they are willing.

Attachments

• Ethercon.jpg
    Ethercon.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 23
I put eithercon pass through connector like the one above in a small project box and velcroed to the back of my MFC and then put a one in a patchbay in my rig. Eithercon rules!

Back
Top Bottom