Heavy/Djenty FAS Modern - Slate VTM Test

jalonhall

Inspired
Hey guys:

I recently picked up the Slate Virtual Tape Machines plug-in. I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with it, but I definitely like what I'm hearing so far! Guitars are FAS Modern fw10, bass is an Ampeg model preset of mine, and drums are Toontrack Superior Drummer with The Metal Foundry. Please check it, comment, and let me know what you think!

Jalon

https://soundcloud.com/jalonhall/groovy-drop-a-stuff-slate-vtm

Nice dude! So how are you using VTM? I love the plugin but daaaaamn is it a CPU hog. Are you doing an instance on every track as it says? I'm at a crossroad. I love using VTM on every track but if I freeze my tracks (I have to running VTM on large track songs) it renders Stripbus useless. So my current plan is to use it on a bunch of busses to group things together (rhythm guitars, drum bus, synth busses, etc.), thereby avoiding it's huge footprint. What about you?

Thanks Kengtin! I use a t808 OD for boost. With the FAS Modern I keep these settings...Drive:0 Tone:Close to 10 Level:8.50 and everything else default. I a stereo cab block with the German 4x12(58 mic) and an SLM v30 412(r121 mic). And 2 filter blocks and PEQ in the chain after the cab. I love it dude

Hey Spec: So far I've just been putting VTM on my drum track, bass, and the master fader. Ive just been using the FG456 at 30ips with the input at about -2 to -3db. I haven't ran into any CPU issues so far and I'm diggin' it! I still want to experiment a little more with it but for now it has already worked wonders for me.

I've listened to that much djent over the last 6/7 years, i feel like i've heard it all before. Having said that, I could bounce my head and the mix was pleasant to my delicate aural cavities.

Good job

So wait... do you mean you're running it across your drum bus, or are you doing all your SD mixing inside SD and only using a stereo track out? If so, way to use SD's mixer really well!

The only time I run into CPU troubles with VTM is if I'm running it across every single track - like 4-8 different guitar tracks, bass, all my drum tracks (13 tracks), synth tracks, vocals, etc - like 30+ tracks altogether. It's the way it's supposed to be used according to Slate, but I just can't run that many without freezing my tracks during mix-down. Since I've started using it more sparingly I haven't really had any problems - I use it a lot like you, but I also tend to put it on a guitar bus as well if I feel it needs a bit more saturation. To be frank, I kind of like it's effect better when it's used less. I honestly started feeling like it was too much when used on every single track anyway.

Yea man I do all of my drum mixing inside of the Superior mixer itself, so I just have one stereo drum track haha. I've tried other approaches but it just works best for me at the moment. And yea I haven't slapped VTM on a lot of tracks yet. I tried putting it on my guitar tracks but it just added a little too much Saturation for me. Probably because I already have the Saturation switch engaged on most of my high gain patches on the Axe-Fx. The biggest difference I have noticed is the fullness of the lows and low mids and it also really smoothed out the highs in a good way. I just don't see the need to put it on every single track myself. It seems like I would have to intentionally tweak a lot of my original sound to make it work in a positive way. By using it in small amounts seems to make a huge difference.

Yep. Slate says that it's really subtle, but in my opinion it makes a pretty significant difference in the sound. You should give multi-out a shot sometime though, and experiment to see if you like VTM on any one tracks. I kind of find it adds an interesting punch to the kick drum, and can help tame that plasticity that can occur on the hi hat. Nevertheless, if it ain't broke - don't fix it! You've got a nice big sound with your drums and who am I to say you need to do something else? :encouragement:

Thanks Kengtin! I use a t808 OD for boost. With the FAS Modern I keep these settings...Drive:0 Tone:Close to 10 Level:8.50 and everything else default. I a stereo cab block with the German 4x12(58 mic) and an SLM v30 412(r121 mic). And 2 filter blocks and PEQ in the chain after the cab. I love it dude

so how do you have your filter and PEQ set up?

I used 2 filter blocks. The first one is just a highpass at 65hz and I set the lowcut at 100. The second filter block is a lowpass at 11040hz. For the PEQ block I set a blocking cut at about 60hz(F1 tab) and another at 11022hz(F5 tab). And I cut about -1.5db at about 2000hz

i think i got it but then again its a tiny bit confusing since i've never used filters before lol yours sounds so good. On my end it sounds like its missing low end, that's normal for the most part right? lol

I'll do you one better...Here are the exact settings that I used for this patch. I've tried to upload it but Axe-Edit and fw10 apparently do not agree with one another.

The chain looks like this:
Shunt--Drive--Shunt--Gate--Amp--Cab--Filter--Filter--PEQ

Drive Settings:
Type- T808 OD
Drive- 0.00
Tone- 10.00
Level- 8.00
Everything else is default

Gate Settings:
Threshold: -50.0db
Ratio: 3.00
Attack: 1.00 ms
Release: 1.00 ms
Everything else is default

Amp Settings:
Amp type: FAS Modern
Drive: 3.80
Bass: 4.55
Mid: 5.05
Treb: 5.35 (Bright switch ON)
Comp: 15%(SAT switch ON)
Presence: 5.25
Depth: 2.20
Master: 5.15
Level: -0.5db
Everything else default

Cab Block:
Cab Mode: Stereo
Cab L- 4x12 German
Mic L- 58 Dyn
Cab R- 4x12 SLM V30 (OH)
Mic R- R121 Cond

Page2 of Cab settings:
Mode:Stereo
Room Level: 0
Room Size: 5
Mic Spacing: 10.0%
Lowcut Freq: 60hz
Hicut Freq: 11046

Mix Tab in Cab settings:
Level: -11.5db
Everything else default

Filter block 1 is a highpass at 65.1hz- And also set lowcut at about 100

Filter block 2 is a lowpass at 11040hz

PEQ Block settings:

F1 Tab:
Freq:60.19hz
Type Blocking

F3 Tab:
Frequency:2002hz
Gain: -1.50db

F5 Tab:
Freq: 11022hz
Type: Blocking
Default on everything else

I also tweak a few things on the Main Patch Layout screen:

In/Gate settings:
Threshold:-49db
Ratio: 3
Att: 1.0ms
Rel: 10.0ms

Output Tab:
-0.16db on the Main

As always awesome stuff man. I'm two months from having enough to get the axe and the Atomic clr. I seriously cannot wait. Anyrate, I don't suppose I could request you do a demo of the Deizel Herbert patch :eagerness: I would love to hear that post patch 10. Anyrate awesome stuff as always.

Back
Top Bottom