Heart 'Magic Man' - Can the Axe-Fx 3 pull it off?

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
There are a ton of different tones going on with this song, and a couple keyboard parts. Im wondering if it's possible to pull this off live using a single preset. Calling @Moke .. If you are looking for a new song preset to add I will make this my official request.

Anyone have any tips on this?
Is the flanger sound an electric mistress?
The main lead sound is really "hot" . Is this a fuzz pedal maybe?

Shouldn't be a problem. I have programed my AXE III to do an entire Rush Tribute show spanning their entire career in about 10 presets. This includes matching tones for each album, different amps, different fx etc. 70's Rush sound different than 80's Rush for certain.

As I expand, I'm finding new ways to reduce the number of presets via mixer block and or multiplex block. I have recently expanded to running my bass/Taurus pedal through the AXE as well!

First gig next week so we shall see.

I never noticed the intro leads were reversed. Hmm, I wonder if the note attack can be mimicked with ASDR.

Some internet lore seems to suggest the lead tone has a big muff into a fender bassman

If I could pull off all these tones plus the synth parts.... Would be super cool

You can definitely cop the vibe of it. Depending upon your use case, that might be more than good enough. I was in a band in the late '90s with a female singer, we did a couple Heart songs and this was one. I was using a Digitech 2101 and got close enough for the moment.

You won't be able to do the lead bits at the intro and throughout (in real time at least), since they're reversed.

I think you could do this without the reverse, and most of your audience wouldn't hear the difference. Us a volume pedal to help fake the envelope a bit, even.

Man, there is a lot going on in there, lost of layers. A one guitar cover would be pretty striped down?

Coming up with all of the tones, in one preset is most likely possible with the Axe-Fx III. But executing it (live) all at one time would not be possible. There would have to be some compromises?

If I were needing to play this live, I would most likely be playing the dominant part in each section, and use a backing track to fill in the missing stuff?

It can be done well with one guitar and a keys player. But one guitar, period? Not gonna sound good, in real time anyway.

There will be another guitar player but I will likely be doing most of the leads and keys stuff... whatever needs specific tones.

I've read that Roger Fisher used a custom treble booster (his brother made or something?) Look him up on this...not sure.

I wouldn't say that you can nail this perfectly...too much stuff there. Get the vibe of it.

Best cover band I have ever seen played this song with one guitar and keys. Dont remember the name of the band, but it was many years ago. They also played Rosanna and Africa by Toto. Absolutely nailed all of them.

Shouldn't be a problem. I have programed my AXE III to do an entire Rush Tribute show spanning their entire career in about 10 presets. This includes matching tones for each album, different amps, different fx etc. 70's Rush sound different than 80's Rush for certain.

As I expand, I'm finding new ways to reduce the number of presets via mixer block and or multiplex block. I have recently expanded to running my bass/Taurus pedal through the AXE as well!

Any chance you might share all those Rush presets? :)

Any chance you might share all those Rush presets? :)
I'd love to know what your patch for the Grace Under Pressure/ Power Windows era is. I've been trying to get that Time Stands Still chime forever or that Territories blistering tone!

You won't be able to do the lead bits at the intro and throughout (in real time at least), since they're reversed.
I heard a band pull this off many years ago perfectly. Was probably the best live band I have ever seen. They also did Rosanna and Africa by Toto, as well as Reelin in the years. Not easy songs by any stretch.

Back
Top Bottom