Heart - Barracuda amp tone

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
Can anyone provide settings or suggestions for dialling in the tone for Heart's Barracuda? I'm using a Strat which is probably not ideal for this song but even so I'm struggling to dial in the distinctive amp characteristics, not to mention getting the flanging right (it's quite subtle). No idea which amp model to use but it sounds like there's lots of power amp compression going on...

Snarfed from elsewhere:
Roger Fisher’s ‘Barracuda’ Gear (and Other Tidbits)

December 4, 2009 | By admin | 1 ReplyMore
Rog with a bow! (RogerFisher.com photo)

Howard Leese’s Gear Too; Replace Ace?

To me, the Heart tune “Barracuda” is one of those perfect songs. Everything’s great: guitar, drums (watch it on YouTube) and the singing, which is just amazing. We’ve all heard the song hundreds of times, but there’s precious little about the gear Roger Fisher and fellow guitarist Howard Leese used on the tune.
Here’s what Roger had to say about it to WoodyTone, followed by some notes on Howard’s Barracuda gear – as well as some info on how the Wilson sisters got control of Heart, how KISS asked Roger to audition for the band and other interesting items.
WoodyTone: Gear-wise, Barracuda is one of the most studied Heart tunes, in part because of that unique flanger sound. Do you remember what gear you used for that tune?
Roger: A Strat – not sure about the year. I think it was a Music Man head [Leo Fender-designed, solid-state preamp, 6L6 power tubes], don’t remember the wattage. I think we had a little 2×12 cab, maybe custom-made, I would go through, then on stage [at times it was at the front of the stage, facing Roger] we’d throw a baffle in front so I could play it really loud – because the best way I know of getting good sustain while maintaining a fairly clean tone is you just have to go for volume…unless you have the luxury of having close proximity to your amp, pointing right at you at guitar height. The cab had Celestions, but I don’t remember what wattage.
The flanger was a kit that I originally bought from a company called Phoenix Systems from Massachusetts. It’s the same flanger sound used in “Mistral Wind,” and there isn’t really another flanger that sounds like it. This new flanger that came out called the Barracuda flanger, endorsed by Howard Leese, doesn’t sound like that Phoenix Systems flanger. [Obviously his opinion and his ears, but judging by forum activity several folks disagree.]
When I was playing the riff, it was just a fun guitar riff to play so it was just natural to try a few different things. And one of the things we tried was the flanger. It worked, and that was that.
Do you remember where the flanger was in the signal chain? [It was a rack unit.]
I think the Music Man head had an effects loop, and I think the flanger was in the effects loop. I think I had the flanger just about as slow as it could go.
How about those laser-like sounds near the end of the tune? They sound like they have a flanger on them. Was that a synthesizer?
The way that occurred is I was leaning over my amp with my guitar on to adjust something, or maybe a pick had fallen behind the amp or something, and when I got the guitar close to the amp head – the flanger was on – we heard that sound. The producer, Mike Flicker, said, ‘We have to record that sound – it’s really cool! What should we call it?’ I said, ‘Call it Alien Attack.’ So we named it that on the console.
Roger (right) and Howard, a heck of a team. (RogerFisher.com photo, click to see it WAY bigger)

Howard’s ‘Barracuda’ Gear

Howard was also an integral part of Heart, and lasted longer in the band than Roger. the following gear details are from a Vintage Guitar magazine interview, and all quotes are Howard’s.
The guitar was a ’66 Fender Telecaster, used to record ‘Barracuda,’ ‘Magic Man,’ ‘Crazy On You’ and possibly other Heart tunes. Its prior owner was Mars Bonfire, who used it to write and record Steppenwolf’s ‘Born to be Wild.’ Now that’s a Tele with some mojo.
Howard: “I still have it. It’s a ’66 with a painted headstock…. This is the guitar on which the song that contained the first reference to ‘heavy metal’ was written: ‘heavy metal thunder’ [in 'Born to be Wild']. It was originally black but I sanded it down to bare wood; you can see that in old Heart photos. Then I retired and restored it. I’ve had it since high school.
“That Tele took me from Los Angeles to Vancouver, and all around the world. I put a humbucker in it, changed the tuners, and added a Yamaha roller bridge and Bigsby. Like we all did in the ’70s, I took it apart and made it the way I wanted it. The only original parts [now], aside from the body and furniture, are the bridge pickup and its stock wiring.”
He thinks his amp on ‘Barracuda’ was a ’56 4×10 Fender Bassman, presumably a combo. “I plugged into both channels and cranked it,” he said.
“I paid $140 for the guitar and $160 for the amp. My entire gear investment was 300 bucks (laughs)! That’s what I went on tour with, that rig and a folding chair for an amp stand.”

Search the forum and Axe-Change for Javajunkie's very recent Barracuda flanger settings. He painstakingly recreated that signature ADA flanger tone.

Thanks Rex. OK, so a Fender amp, presumably with the Master pushed hard. Anyone else care to chime in on amp settings? Which flanger type would get me closest?

Search the forum and Axe-Change for Javajunkie's very recent Barracuda flanger settings. He painstakingly recreated that signature ADA flanger tone.

Thanks Yek. I found the preset. It's the amp sound I'm more concerned with duplicating though.

Can anyone provide settings or suggestions for dialling in the tone for Heart's Barracuda? I'm using a Strat which is probably not ideal for this song but even so I'm struggling to dial in the distinctive amp characteristics, not to mention getting the flanging right (it's quite subtle). No idea which amp model to use but it sounds like there's lots of power amp compression going on...
So, according to 50 greatest guitar tones songbook, Howard Leese played a Gibson Explorer, Roger Fisher a Fender Start, and both played through Orange OD 120 amps, and then routed the signals through a custom-made flanger built by their amp tech. I have not been able to find anything more specific in my searches, but I have set my Orange 120 amp to the following settings: input: high; color: 4; bass: 9; treble: 4; presence: 7; gain: 4, volume: 5; an Orange pp412 cabinet with 4 Celestion vintage speakers; and a kick flanger: predelay: 4; depth: 6; rate: 4, on/off: latch; resonance: 7; mix: 6; reset: 5; lfo: reset. Playing a Gretsch semi-hollow body with two humbuckers, I get as close to the tone as you can get without the exact gear . . . and it is definitely one of my favorite tones! A side note: I read that the spacy sound at the end of Barracuda was created when Leese bent over to pick up a dropped pick and the feedback running through the flanger produced the sound; my kick flanger and orange amp and gretsch guitar make the exact same sound, if i let feedback build up.

I was able to connect with Roger Fisher, one of the original guitarists in Heart (with Howard Leese), and I asked him what he used. This is a direct quote from him: "Strat and Marshall. It's in the hands, heart, and soul. The gear doesn't really matter."

There are two guitar tracks. At least one has just a tad of chorus or flanger. Maybe they added it in mastering, but at least for Roger's track he didn't mention any effects.

Back
Top Bottom