Hearing loss...think you have it?

I've been tested occasionally. Sub-bass is a little down in one ear from an ear infection when I was a teenager. Other than that, my ears are very good for my age.

But, I also always carry ear plugs in my pocket, and I've been to a concert exactly once without earplugs.

The constant high pitched whistle chorus in my brain says "yes".

On the bright side I can use Steve Vai's gift of tone preset to finish the work he helped start on the Eat Em' and Smile and Skyscraper tours.

pee-wee-herman-what.gif

I'm 27 and have tinnitus around the 16kish range which is also the top end of my hearing.

I played with a loud drummer for years. Now I won't even go to concerts without hearing protection, won't go near acoustic kits, prefer synthesized woodwinds, and have moved to piezos as my go to for acoustic guitar sounds.

Drums now a days are electrics capped out at 85dB at the most.

I also was born deaf and had some cochlear surgery as a kid, tubes in ears too. My naive self didn't think much of it for jam days.

I definitely have hearing loss. Bad notch in my hearing around 5K hz at the high end of guitar. Too many drunk basement jams back in the day, sticking my ear up to my amp trying to hear over everyone else... Playing full bore in my bedroom... Too many loud concerts... Overall stage volume when playing out. It's all taken its toll. I need to get hearing aids but have put it off. Maybe this year.
I should also have mentioned the constant noise I hear. I guess it's tinnitus, but in my case it is a weird hissing/static kind of sound that undulates. Different in each ear so it's sort of a stereo effect. Not a ringing/whistling. If I think about it and pay attention to it, it is annoying, but in general I'm able to ignore it.

I'm 27 and have tinnitus around the 16kish range which is also the top end of my hearing.

I played with a loud drummer for years. Now I won't even go to concerts without hearing protection, won't go near acoustic kits, prefer synthesized woodwinds, and have moved to piezos as my go to for acoustic guitar sounds.

Drums now a days are electrics capped out at 85dB at the most.
You're being smart.

I know I have some as I get some intermittent ringing, in loud rooms it becomes hard to hear people even close to me, and I know from informal testing I have a little high end loss. Earplugs at every show I go to or gig I play as I don't want to risk things getting any worse.

I’m in my 60s, so no doubt I have some loss. But recent tests went pleasingly well, showing above-average sensitivity. I’m happy about it, and feel for those suffering moderate to severe loss and ringing.

I have both hearing loss and tinnitus. I can't sleep without some sort of sound in the room, or else i can't stop listening to the noise in my ears.
When there's some sound of some sort in the room i don't notice it if i don't focus on it.

Some of it comes from practicing loud in rooms with concrete walls when i was younger, but some of the hearing loss on my right ear is because of surgery.
I had a growth removed from my right ear in 2016, and since then i hear almost nothing below 500k on that ear.

My left ear is still quite accurate though, so i use that ear for hearing tones, and my right ear sort of gives me a kind of stereo.

I have both hearing loss and tinnitus. I can't sleep without some sort of sound in the room, or else i can't stop listening to the noise in my ears.
When there's some sound of some sort in the room i don't notice it if i don't focus on it.
Luckily, I don't have much hearing loss, but silence drives me insane.
I finally broke down and bought some bluetooth headbands from amazon to stream white noise from the Zen Tinnitus app on my phone when i go to sleep. The new girlfriend doesn't like having the tv or music on all night.

Luckily, I don't have much hearing loss, but silence drives me insane.
I finally broke down and bought some bluetooth headbands from amazon to stream white noise from the Zen Tinnitus app on my phone when i go to sleep. The new girlfriend doesn't like having the tv or music on all night.
Some folks need to hear something to feel reassured they're not alone. I've learned to live with both noise, music, and blissful silence. Better to hear nothing than a lot of what the broadcast media calls "recreation and entertainment."

Back
Top Bottom