Hear 'n Aid / Stars - behind the scenes

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Wow... Totally just stumbled across this awesome video. The pinnacle of 80's hard rock and metal. Very cool! I really loved this tune... Had a full size vinyl LP!

Standouts vocally:

Ronnie James Dio (of course!)
Geoff Tate
Rob Halford
Dave Meniketti

Standouts on guitar:

Buck Dharma
Vivian Campbell
Brad Gillis
George Lynch
Yngwie J. Malmsteen (not to be confused with all the other Yngwie Malmsteens out there!)

Enjoy my 80's brethren!

Last edited:
I saw Ronnie James Dio at a church gymnasium before Elf.
The band was called The Elves, and they really rocked it.
He had the green leotards and curly tipped shoes...just awesome! :)

I saw Ronnie James Dio at a church gymnasium before Elf.
The band was called The Elves, and they really rocked it.
He had the green leotards and curly tipped shoes...just awesome! :)
They were called The Electric Elves at one point.

I have an Elf LP or two somewhere... :)

Wow... Totally just stumbled across this awesome video. The pinnacle of 80's hard rock and metal. Very cool! I really loved this tune... Had a full size vinyl LP!

Standouts vocally:

Ronnie James Dio (of course!)
Geoff Tate
Rob Halford
Dave Meniketti

Standouts on guitar:

Buck Dharma
Vivian Campbell
Brad Gillis
George Lynch
Yngvie J. Malmsteen (not to be confused with all the other Yngwie Malmsteens out there!)

Enjoy my 80's brethren!

Still Have the vhs somewhere in the attic.

Five things this video reminded me of:
  1. How good this song was.
  2. How good a vocalist Eric Bloom of BOC was in his prime.
  3. How much Brad Gillis could shred.
  4. What a pure vocal instrument Rob Halford had in his prime.
  5. Kevin Dubrow had a really cool timbre to his voice and unique phrasing.

I watched it about a month ago. I was bored and sought it out. I remember an article where Lynch said the guitarist that impressed him the most was Neal Schon because he just came in, set up and got it in one or two takes. The dude can flat out shred and he's got some of the best phrasing out of all them.

I forgot Gillis could shred too! His whammy thing kinda got in the way but he and Jeff Watson really could rip it up.

This brings back memories. Not this song, as it got next to no airplay in the Netherlands at the time, but the genre. The cheesy 80's good cause benefit song. The genre that Bob Geldoff with Band Aid released on the world and which got out of hand until there was like a benefit song for basically anything. And then it died off. I reckon that most artists genuinely wanted to help, but I also suspect a great number of them thought it couldn't hurt their careers either. Especially since Live Aid basically resurrected Queen's career and catapulted U2 from arenas to stadiums. But that's okay. Nothing wrong with enlightened self interest..

Five things this video reminded me of:
  1. How good this song was.
  2. How good a vocalist Eric Bloom of BOC was in his prime.
  3. How much Brad Gillis could shred.
  4. What a pure vocal instrument Rob Halford had in his prime.
  5. Kevin Dubrow had a really cool timbre to his voice and unique phrasing.
All excellent points... 100% agree!

Just found this looking for something else. I've probably watched the original video a hundred times at least over the years, but never seen this making of. Awesome. Thanks for the memories.

Back
Top Bottom