Health Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
^This. Might be a good time to try out a keto diet.
I already eat a keto low carb low sugar diet and will definitely continue to do so. Wife and I started back in September of 2017. We haven’t been quite as strict as we were since Covid started but we get back on track if we slip up.
I gotta have my NY style pizza every once in awhile. 😂

Last edited:
Day 1 of treatment is in the books and it felt so good to finally get this fight started and kick some cancer ass!
I’m home and doing well. No issues thus far. Appetite is good. Had some dinner consisting of baked chicken, ceaser salad, Mac and Cheese and a sugar free pudding cup for dessert.
I feel good just wore out. Been a long day.

Day 1 of treatment is in the books and it felt so good to finally get this fight started and kick some cancer ass!
I’m home and doing well. No issues thus far. Appetite is good. Had some dinner consisting of baked chicken, ceaser salad, Mac and Cheese and a sugar free pudding cup for dessert.
Good to hear! Keep up the good work!

Good on ya. Smile. Eat when you’re hungry. Fart when you must. Tomorrow is another day.

You got this, Yes the treatment is the main part of it, but even more important is the attitude keep it as positive as you can. aside from your immediate family, you've got a lot of people sending the good vibes and prayers your way as well.

View attachment 89956
Picture of the endgame.

1st weak of treatment in the books.
Definitely some tough days but I made it through and glad it’s the weekend. Time to rest up and comeback out swinging on Monday.

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. ❤️
Great to hear! You really can't do better than MDAnderson as well (they're awesome). All the best to ya!

Last edited:
Man I want to see you ring that bell stay strong. :)
Hey and I meant to say looks like the back is long and The top is short. Glad you kept some of your hair man. Now kick that cancers butt. 😃

As a surgeon who has spent decades treating lung cancers of all types, I wish you the very best. I assume you've had biopsies etc to diagnose what type of tumour it is? And presumably it was the PET scan that showed local and regional spread (lymph nodes etc). So the treating clinicians would have worked up a treatment plan specifically for you, through the MDT (Multi-Disciplinary Team).

That's what we have done for 25 years or more - the whole team, including physicians, surgeons (me), radiation oncologists, chemotherapists, etc etc all discussed each case and worked out a plan.

One plan we used a lot for Stage 3 tumours has been aggressive chemoradiotherapy, with the aim being to "down-stage" the disease. If we succeeded in knocking off any disease outside the primary tumour (i.e all those lymph nodes etc), and perhaps even shrinking the primary, then we'd go ahead and surgically remove all the residual disease, followed by "mop up" low dose chemo for a few weeks.

That approach worked impressively well for many patients, and we have long term (as in decades) survivors who had initially presented with Stage 3 aggressive tumours. Without treatment, those patients would have had survivals of only weeks or months.

Treatment of lung cancers has come a long way in the time I've been working on them. All the very best wishes, and although you'll feel pretty crap at various stages of the treatment, keep the ultimate goal in mind - that first gig once it's all over!! :)

As a surgeon who has spent decades treating lung cancers of all types, I wish you the very best. I assume you've had biopsies etc to diagnose what type of tumour it is? And presumably it was the PET scan that showed local and regional spread (lymph nodes etc). So the treating clinicians would have worked up a treatment plan specifically for you, through the MDT (Multi-Disciplinary Team).

That's what we have done for 25 years or more - the whole team, including physicians, surgeons (me), radiation oncologists, chemotherapists, etc etc all discussed each case and worked out a plan.

One plan we used a lot for Stage 3 tumours has been aggressive chemoradiotherapy, with the aim being to "down-stage" the disease. If we succeeded in knocking off any disease outside the primary tumour (i.e all those lymph nodes etc), and perhaps even shrinking the primary, then we'd go ahead and surgically remove all the residual disease, followed by "mop up" low dose chemo for a few weeks.

That approach worked impressively well for many patients, and we have long term (as in decades) survivors who had initially presented with Stage 3 aggressive tumours. Without treatment, those patients would have had survivals of only weeks or months.

Treatment of lung cancers has come a long way in the time I've been working on them. All the very best wishes, and although you'll feel pretty crap at various stages of the treatment, keep the ultimate goal in mind - that first gig once it's all over!! :)
Thanks for your well wishes and especially your insight. Had all my biopsies, testing, diagnosis and treatment done at MD Anderson medical center. It spread to the N2 lymphnodes next to the tumor if I’m saying that right.

Because of the location of the tumor the team decided against surgery and are confident they can get it all with Radiation and chemo.

It is a large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma. Kind of rare from my understanding but becoming somewhat more common. MD Anderson has a GI Dr there, Dr Halperin, that is a leader in research on this specific cancer. Hopefully he was a member of the tumor board and had input regarding my treatment. I’m going to ask my Dr about that.

I’m getting Chemo (2 kinds: Carboplatin and Paclitaxel) every Monday and Radiation treatment Mon - Fri for 6 weeks. Then I believe another 6 week round of treatment with chemo every 3 weeks. Then looks like immunotherapy for about a year.

Any thoughts or questions you think I should ask are very welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom