Heads up - Axe Edit III won't run on a Compute Stick

Mark Scrivener

Inspired
Just in case someone out there is considering running Axe Edit III on an Intel Compute stick....the cheap compute sticks are 32 bit OS only and Axe Edit III was apparently only compiled for 64 bit OS....which is 99% of the world these days.

So why would you want to run Axe Exit III on a compute stick? Well I just happen to have one driving a 22" touch screen that is the controller for my mixer, and the Axe III sits in the same rack as my mixer for my live rig, so I thought "hey why not install Axe Edit III and then I can tweak the Axe FX III without having to bust out a laptop"....but alas no dice....Oh well...Here is the rig BTW...

That looks really slick. What brand monitor is that?

There are 64bit compute sticks available now, but as you say most of the cheaper ones are 32bit, and that doesn’t help you now. :(

Just in case someone out there is considering running Axe Edit III on an Intel Compute stick....the cheap compute sticks are 32 bit OS only and Axe Edit III was apparently only compiled for 64 bit OS....which is 99% of the world these days.

So why would you want to run Axe Exit III on a compute stick? Well I just happen to have one driving a 22" touch screen that is the controller for my mixer, and the Axe III sits in the same rack as my mixer for my live rig, so I thought "hey why not install Axe Edit III and then I can tweak the Axe FX III without having to bust out a laptop"....but alas no dice....Oh well...Here is the rig BTW...

what mixer is that? i don't recognize the interface. i swear i've tried them all.

Thanks mixministermike! Touchscreen is made by Planar - was $190 shipped via Amazon. Figured what the heck - I'm not watching movies on it, just controlling my Soundcraft mixer...already had a cheap compute stick that I purchased a while back as an experiment for another project....$100 or so I think at the time. But yep, I know they make 64 bit versions, and then there are the NUC type machines - which interestingly are designed to bolt directly onto the back of touchscreens like the one I have. But considering the cheap compute sticks come with Win10 installed and cost about the same as a standalone Windows license, it is hard to pass up....unless you need 64 bit. LoL.

what mixer is that? i don't recognize the interface. i swear i've tried them all.

Soundcraft Ui24R. Awesome box, sounds great and a joy to use. No app to install - just point a web browser at it and you are set. They have an online demo you can play with and try out the interface. Short of a modern real console, this is my favorite live mixer. In the studio I'm still pure analog.

Back
Top Bottom