Headrush Pedal board. Eleven modeling

Got some interest on this based on the looks. Reviews seem meh on the sound, which makes me sad.
Any idea on the upgrade program on this guy?

Last edited:
I just got one of these and also have the AXE FX II in my studio. It's a fun unit and the one feature I love is the spill over of an effect when switching patches. It's nice to have the lead delay ring out when you switch back to a rhythm.

That said, there is just no comparison in tone between it and the Fractal. You definitly get what you pay for here.

I just got one of these and also have the AXE FX II in my studio. It's a fun unit and the one feature I love is the spill over of an effect when switching patches. It's nice to have the lead delay ring out when you switch back to a rhythm.

That said, there is just no comparison in tone between it and the Fractal. You definitly get what you pay for here.

The axe fx does this too.

I wonder why the spillover feature is standard disabled on a new Axe. It seems like such a handy feature to have as a standard option.

maybe because some people have trouble using it. If the delay/verb block levels are set differently in different presets then the spillover volume goes up or down and it sounds weird. You need to use the block's "input gain" knob rather than the level control

maybe because some people have trouble using it. If the delay/verb block levels are set differently in different presets then the spillover volume goes up or down and it sounds weird. You need to use the block's "input gain" knob rather than the level control

Fair enough, but then why not make spillover a selectable option in the effect block? Instead of me having to dig around in global settings.

I sold AxeFX as my 11R sounded to me as good, at fraction of the price. Now go ahead and kill me......

We will not kill you. We will just make fun of you. And laugh. And laugh. And laugh. It's the equivalent of trading in a Ferrari for a shiny Ferrari lookalike, with underneath the bonnet some souped up 2nd hand car engine from a local scrapyard.

...why not make spillover a selectable option in the effect block? Instead of me having to dig around in global settings.
Because spillover is a global function. To make spillover work, you need to have the same instance of the same effect available in the next preset, and the effect needs to be dialed in the same in both presets. And to make spillover really work, you need to take the signal chain in the first preset, and duplicate that chain in the second preset. Then you have to add in the blocks for the new preset. Units that allow instantaneous spillover have two separate signal chains—essentially two simultaneous presets—to ensure that the decaying signal retains its sound. To do it right, you need to double the processor count, because each preset is holding two full presets that must be processed simultaneously, and that's expensive.

Last edited:
The spillover implementation seems to somehow have to live with horsepower limitations. If there was enough steam left then the old FX algo could continue working on it's own buffer while the new gets the input signal. Since this is obviously not possible the block algorithm is exchanged but the buffer still contains the old data. Either you turn off spillover and the buffer gets cleared when switching the algo or it's turned on and the new algo does funny stuff to the old data.

Fair enough, but then why not make spillover a selectable option in the effect block? Instead of me having to dig around in global settings.

We will not kill you. We will just make fun of you. And laugh. And laugh. And laugh. It's the equivalent of trading in a Ferrari for a shiny Ferrari lookalike, with underneath the bonnet some souped up 2nd hand car engine from a local scrapyard.

Dang... up until now I only heard stories about Fractal fanboys and them running in herds :) I like my AX8 but A/B 11R against original - as stated by me - Axe made me do what I did. Fractal is best bang for the buck and I wouldn't trade my AX8 for nothing else. I had Kemper, Helix and still have 11R and all of them have special traits. And I won't laugh, laugh, laugh or compare subjectivity of music to vehicle and other physical objects of obsession. I tolerate other opinions, especially in times when some dude living in a pale house is trying to persuade otherwise about...... peace out

I wonder why the spillover feature is standard disabled on a new Axe. It seems like such a handy feature to have as a standard option.

It's not a true spillover. It works okay if the new preset is similar to the old preset. If the delay/reverb settings are significantly different then it doesn't work all that well.

To do true spillover you would have to sacrifice half your DSP resources since essentially you need to run two presets simultaneously. If the routing is a fixed routing then you can do something simpler but with the flexible routing of the Axe-Fx you would essentially need to run two presets all the time. The way you do it is to keep running the current "active" preset and ramp it's input volume down on a preset change. The "inactive" preset is then replaced with the new preset and becomes the active preset and it's volume is ramped up.

I don't know much about the HR but I think the routing is fairly flexible so they are probably running two presets all the time which explains why the unit runs out of CPU so easily.

Yeah, the Digitech GSP 21010 had an extra processor "daughterboard" you could buy and plug in which allowed for seamless switching and spillover.

Basically worked by pre-loading a patch/preset into one of the processors (via a little pedal board tap dancing) so it was ready to go while using another patch/preset, i.e. two patches loaded at the same time, but only using one..which also allowed for spillover.

Or you could link the two processors and make one gigantic patch, which was also kinda fun....all done via that little hardware display. You had to write stuff down and map it out, as the hieroglyphs and arrows all got a little hard to follow three or four clicks in.

Ahh, the good ol' days, painting the house through the letterbox.....

This seems to be the most comprehensive HR thread here so I'll sort of revive it, though it's not that old.

Most of the discussion about the HR seems to revolve around amp modeling. What about just the effects? I have the amps and cabs and speakers I want so my only interest is in FX. Are the editing parameters of the various FX limited to "classic rock" style performing? Are the FX themselves geared toward "classic rock"? My interest is specifically in, non-"rock", "post-rock" , or whatever it's being called this particular hour. Think Brian Eno. Robert Fripp, Hammock, This Will Destroy You, etc.

The gapless thing is key, a interface that is easy to use when performing is key, being able to line up multiple delays or multiple reverbs, or multiple modulation effects in any order is exceedingly important: D>D>M>D>M>R>R.

After almost a year I'm hoping opinions and conclusions born out of real world performing are coming more to light.

Also, can exterior FX be inserted anywhere in the FX chain via a flexible audio loop; stereo sends and returns? If I want to insert an EHX Superego anywhere in the audio path, can it be done?

How do the FX compare to standalone boxes made by Strymon, Eventide, Moog, Empress, etc.?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom