Headrush Pedal board. Eleven modeling

digitech tried the ipad thing, removable, didn't sell. It's a foot controlled modeler, and IMHO I don't want all my eggs in one basket so to speak, prefer my axe back in the rack and a dedicated foot controller. As needs grow, I've swapped foot controllers at least 4 times now, same axe in the rack. Personally there is a breaking point for what I'm willing to spend on something I'm constantly stepping on. YMMV.
Doesn't have to be on the floor for my sake but none of that really explains why the interface should have to suck, even if a nice one had to cost more. It seems a lot of people certainly do prefer a floor unit (because they can carry it) and hence the detachable interface makes a whole lot of sense. I don't know what Digitech did but how many people has an iPad anyway?

Not gonna lie, the Headrush layout is everything I dreamed that the Fractal all in one (ax8/16) would be. That being said, pro's in neck of the woods, are going for the Headrush. These guys are all using tube amps, and only using the Headrush for FX.. I have to admit, the FX sounds good with a real amp..

This is happening................

Having spent a lot of time getting to know and producing three demo videos for the HeadRush, I have to say there's not a chance in hell it would ever replace my Fractal gear. The onboard interface is fabulous, yes, but the sounds are 10 years old and nowhere near the quality of Fractal models. Not even in the same suburb. And with all due respect to the post above, I'd prefer an FX8 every time if I was just using it for effects. The HeadRush effects aren't even close, in my opinion. It looks good though.

Having spent a lot of time getting to know and producing three demo videos for the HeadRush, I have to say there's not a chance in hell it would ever replace my Fractal gear. The onboard interface is fabulous, yes, but the sounds are 10 years old and nowhere near the quality of Fractal models. Not even in the same suburb. And with all due respect to the post above, I'd prefer an FX8 every time if I was just using it for effects. The HeadRush effects aren't even close, in my opinion. It looks good though.

I have to desagree, it sounds great. I test it for a good hour and i did the sounds i like very quickly, to me this unit is a huge win on all counts, maybe its a bit heavy, but it feels solid and nothing comes close to its easy touch interface.

Sure, my AX8 is amazing, but the HR is impresive.

I have to desagree, it sounds great. I test it for a good hour and i did the sounds i like very quickly, to me this unit is a huge win on all counts, maybe its a bit heavy, but it feels solid and nothing comes close to its easy touch interface.

Sure, my AX8 is amazing, but the HR is impresive.

I'm glad it's working out for you. I didn't say that it sounds bad; just not as great (to my ears) as anything Fractal have produced. Have fun with it. That's what it's all about.

from theGearpage... (Interdasting)

benifin said:
On somewhat of a side-note, I just got sent an email from a fellow user here who is a long-time [ and still ] Eleven Rack 11R user ... but who also uses an AX8 .... he sent me the following from the Headrush Offical FAQ .... credit where credit is due .... at least Headrush are being open and honest ..... the key bits are in blue underline ..... it reads as follows:-

" What is Eleven® HD Expanded™, and how is it different from the Eleven Rack/Plug-In?

Eleven HD Expanded is the name of the DSP software that powers the HeadRush Pedalboard™. When we were creating the HeadRush Pedalboard, we disassembled the legacy Eleven Rack/Plug-In code completely, then we reconstructed the whole architecture for our new DSP system. Our modeling now sounds more realistic than ever, there’s more flexibility for users in creating rigs, we’ve added new effects and features, and it has better overall performance.

During this process, we only took the values from the measurements that were calculated when creating the original models. Then the internal oversampling was renewed, and we disabled some previously required waveshaper downsampling, so that our models have a better sound quality with a more authentic realism and definition than the original code.

Even the most basic DSP units were rewritten this way, so we can now do parallel processing and fit it to our new DSP platform. In the original code, there were many restrictions on where you could place your effects in your signal chain. For example, the amp and the cab acted as one big block and you could only insert effects before or afterward. As a guitarist, you want to be able to insert effects wherever you want, including before the cabinet simulation like an effect loop in a real amp—and with Eleven HD Expanded, now you can put effects wherever you want.

Our new DSP platform also allowed us to expand the feature set with other popular user-requested features, including a faster and more guitarist-friendly UI, reverb/delay tail spill-over between presets, the ability to load custom/third-party impulse responses, a looper with 20 minutes of record time, and so much more
"

As he noted to me, and I agree .... the absolute best possible reading of what HR have done is to take the original 7+ year old 11R code ..... decompress it ... clean it up ..... and as a result of more processing power, they have recompiled it with less data compression and re-arranged and isolated some of the efx/cab etc... blocks

So .... what does this mean ?

In short, as has been known all along and to HR's credit and openness and honesty:-

- there has been no remodelling of any Amps or EFX from the original 7+ year old code
- there have been no new measurments made of any of the Amps or EFX
- all exisiting Amp and EFX core / base measurments and modelling data are unchanged from the same 7+ year old 11R technology

He cant belive all the "hype" ... or to more honelty quote him .... how much people are being "bedazzled" by the shiny new box and screen.

Yet .... despite all this, there are people here on TGP who are saying it sounds virtually as good as an Axe XL ..... hi Nick :) ...... and others who want us to belive it is at least as good [ or better ] than the Helix ....... the only thing left is for someone to do a Kemper vs HRush where - of course - the HR will "win" :)

Of course ...... 3 months or so ago ...... anyone who would have serioulsy suggested that an 11R running in to a Cab Loader was [essentially] on par with the Axe or Helix or Kemper would have righlty been "not taken too serioulsy" ..... mind you, an 11R running in to a Cab IR loader will sound like a really good 11R ... but its still an 11R .....

You want to pay $999 for re-packaged 7+ year old tech .... when you can pay $999 for the Helix LT [ state of the art that does everything more and better ] or only $300 more for the AX8 which some belive is "the best" [not me, but thats irrelevant] then spend your money and enjoy :) ... that to me would be bizzare ... but its your money :)

Imagine if Fractal re-packed their 5+ year old Axe Std and Axe Ultra modelling and put it in to an " AX6 " .... mind you again, this would still be better than the HR .....

I cant stress this enough again ..... if you think all of the HR "good" demo's from PThorn, Rabea, Ola and Marco sound "great" ... do this:-

- take an audio-out feed from you PC
- run it in to your mixer or direct in to you FRFR of choice
- set up your FRFR of choice angled up to your ears
- turn it up to stage / live level
- hit play
- then do the same with some good Fractal or Helix or Kemper demo's

Once youve done that, then be honest / unbiased / "not commericially motivated" with yourself :)

Then again, its may be possible* that in the last 7+ years, Avid had the modelling down perfectly and Fractal and L6 and Kemper and Atomic have just been wasting their time since then :)

Ben " yes if you have read any of my posts you will know I am a Kemper Fanboi " Ifin

* - its not - they didnt :)

Yep. The HR is that good, since the unit its not mine i need more time to really hear the differences on my tones done with the AX8. Fender amps sounded killer and the edge of breakup on the marshalls was so good, really impresive unit.

The Fxs are really good too.

Ah so it's an Avid product?
I had an eleven rack for years and made a pact with myself - no more Avid!.
It's no use telling customers that something is software upgrade able if you only update it once every three years!
Sheesh
Thanks
Pauly

Ah so it's an Avid product?
I had an eleven rack for years and made a pact with myself - no more Avid!.
It's no use telling customers that something is software upgrade able if you only update it once every three years!
Sheesh
Thanks
Pauly
No they just licensed out their modeling code to another company since no one is interested in Eleven or Eleven Rack (due to Fractal and Line6 domination of the modeling world). But yeah at the core it's their abandonware repackaged into a 3rd party floor unit.

No they just licensed out their modeling code to another company since no one is interested in Eleven or Eleven Rack (due to Fractal and Line6 domination of the modeling world). But yeah at the core it's their abandonware repackaged into a 3rd party floor unit.

Not trying to defend HR, but i praise where is due. For me, the quality of the amps and FX is not dated or inferior in any way to Fractal or Line 6. The launch and disclosure of the HR was poorly managed, but they did deliver on with a great modeling unit, the best screen and user interface to date.

Just cant get past this part of the quote

benifin said:
So .... what does this mean ?

In short, as has been known all along and to HR's credit and openness and honesty:-

- there has been no remodeling of any Amps or EFX from the original 7+ year old code
- there have been no new measurements made of any of the Amps or EFX
- all existing Amp and EFX core / base measurements and modelling data are unchanged from the same 7+ year old 11R technology......

You want to pay $999 for re-packaged 7+ year old tech .... when you can pay $999 for the Helix LT [ state of the art that does everything more and better ] or only $300 more for the AX8 which some believe is "the best" [not me, but thats irrelevant] then spend your money and enjoy :) ... that to me would be bizarre ... but its your money ..........

from theGearpage... (Interdasting)
I was originally getting exited when I found that site with more "in-depth" data - until I realized what it actually said! Auch!

However, it's still not computing in my brain why the state-of-the-art stuff needs to have what seems like a +17 year old interface. The effectiveness of the process of tone creation gets no points at all? I ill claim that the average user would get a lot more value of the stellar Axe sound quality if it had an HR-like interface. (And I mean multiple factors more than the cost of the stuff).

I saw this unit demoed at a guitar show. The unit sounded good. I was early to the show, so I had the rep to myself for a while and the touch screen is slick. Funny, I told him I have been an FAS guy since they hit the market and he agreed FAS is good, but then he talked price point, etc. If this unit was closer to $600.00 - $700.00, I might consider it as a backup to my AX8

I just picked one up. It's fantastic and the drives are REALLY good even directly into a tube combo. I'm not even using the amps and cabs and I absolutely love this thing.

spent some time with one the other day, it was fine. got some decent to good tones out of it. sounded like i remember the 11r sounding, which was good....not fractal good, not even close. interface was fun.

Delays are great. Reverbs seem sterile/lifeless to me but I'm only had it for a day. I can't seem to create a decent chorus either.
Thanks, I appreciate that. Need lush verbs so not buying into this. Same reason for Helix to fail in my book. I thought either might have been the perfect effects board since I don't care much about the sims anyway. Seems they are not really there yet.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Need lush verbs so not buying into this. Same reason for Helix to fail in my book. I thought either might have been the perfect effects board since I don't care much about the sims anyway. Seems they are not really there yet.

No problem. I think the Helix and Helix LT kill the HeadRush because they have great reverbs, mod delay and particle verb. You can definitely get the same or better sounds with the AX8/FX8 but it takes so much more effort. I still might switch over to an FX8 MKII.

Back
Top Bottom