Headrush Pedal board. Eleven modeling

Geez, the Digitech GSP 2101 or the Johnson JM-150 sound much better than this Headrush thing...

And the previously mentioned units are 1990's technology.

I was really hoping this was going to be good.

Looks like they're "rush"ing them out to all the usual internet demonstrators. Burgs?

Yep, there's one headed to my place shortly, I believe. Should be interesting. I liked Ola's video and the sounds he pulled although he doesn't really go where I tend to dwell - low to medium gain. Pete built a great song around it, but the IR he used mostly - a stock IR or one of Celestion's? Anyway, its incredible interface notwithstanding, I have a feeling it will be suited more to a price-conscious demographic more so than a pro-level bunch like many of us. We shall see..!

Any initial impressions?

The hardware is nice and built like a tank which makes it a little heavy. I really liked the touch screen but after bending down so long my back started to ache. It would have been nice for the screen to be removable or have an app for my laptop. (AXE Edit runs on my dedicated rig laptop which sits on top of a gigbag on a keyboard stand.)

I was trying to do a "out of the box" HeadR vs AX8 with like amps and cabs but even after some tweaking the HR doesn't even come close to the AX8 tone wise. I think anyone coming from the AXE-FX camp will find the the tones on the HR lacking especially Hi Gain players. Nothing blew my mind about the amps, cabs, effects or factory presets.

The HR will need the help of extreme tweakers and a vast IR library. Maybe time and some updates will help as its just out of the gate.

Looks cool but it seems that's where it stops. Seems to me they would benefit from a lower price range. Snag all those who find the helix and ax8 out of reach still. More like the POD HD/ Boss boards....

@GuitarDojo , thanks for basically confirming what also seems apparent to me from all the evidence thus far. Ola's
assessment also appeared qualified at best, he's not my go-to guy as an arbiter of tone..but he is usually fairly spot on in his evaluations even as a semi-promoter , and he focused his positive comments on the useable UI, and made no judgment on the actual tone .

Yep, there's one headed to my place shortly, I believe. Should be interesting. I liked Ola's video and the sounds he pulled although he doesn't really go where I tend to dwell - low to medium gain. Pete built a great song around it, but the IR he used mostly - a stock IR or one of Celestion's? Anyway, its incredible interface notwithstanding, I have a feeling it will be suited more to a price-conscious demographic more so than a pro-level bunch like many of us. We shall see..!
Just can't help wondering why "pros" have to be stuck with hopelessly outdated interfaces crammed in designless DIY-looking boxes?

I just remember how easy it was to access everything with the 11R from the front panel in terms of dialing in a tone.

I also remember how frickin' frustrating it was to actually dial in a tone because it just wouldn't ever get to where I was trying to go. One of the few units that I have ever owned that I actually had to use other's presets because I couldn't get it to sound right.

The 11R followed AVID's business model which is make it look pretty, hype the crap out of it, hold back a few critical features and charge for an upgrade path, keep it completely proprietary, and when it isn't flying off the shelf just drop development and sell it off. I'm glad to see another company pick it up and hopefully they will break away from that, but the bottom line is that it could be made of gold and be controlled directly from my brain and it wouldn't matter one damn bit if it doesn't have the sounds.

....but the bottom line is that it could be made of gold and be controlled directly from my brain and it wouldn't matter one damn bit if it doesn't have the sounds.
Very true but how awesome would it be to have both/all? Imagine a slick looking AX8 with XL+ power and interconnects and a detachable Headrush'ish touch interface. Who cares it will be 3 grand+ when it will make life soooooo much easier?

(Or just make an optional tethered touch interfaced working that darn good and realize that YES, folk will pay for it!)

I guess that you don't work in Sales?
You mean those guys who take the systems I design and offer them for half their actual cost including features not even developed and expected install before production has even started? Thank God no!

My point is just; I think Fractal would be surprised to see how many costumers would happily pay a couple 100 extra for a decent interface.

digitech tried the ipad thing, removable, didn't sell. It's a foot controlled modeler, and IMHO I don't want all my eggs in one basket so to speak, prefer my axe back in the rack and a dedicated foot controller. As needs grow, I've swapped foot controllers at least 4 times now, same axe in the rack. Personally there is a breaking point for what I'm willing to spend on something I'm constantly stepping on. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom