guitarair

Dear adept Axe-Fx users,

Newbie here. I just bought my Axe-Fx II XL+. Now I am confused how to use my Axe-Fx, whether an FRFR speaker or studio monitors. I will be using it basically for home practice. I won't be gigging next few months, so my main purpose is home practice and recording. I can't afford to buy a good FRFR speaker/cab and also they are not available in my country. Musical instrument shops in my country don't sell FRFR speakers. But only one shop has Headrush FRFR-108. And also studio monitors of some famous brands are available here. I have done my research and gone through lots of posts here that made me more confused. Please help me make a right decision whether should I opt for a pair of decent studio monitors or Headrush FRFR-108. I will soulfully appreciate your help based on my entire situation and purposes. I have some specific questions:

1. A pair of decent studio monitors vs Headrush FRFR-108 (maybe a pair of them), your vote? And which one is better for an untreated bedroom?

2. If I choose Headrush-108, is it necessary to buy a pair of them for stereo sound? Or just one piece will suffice? I mean how much is the difference between one piece and a pair?

3. Is there any big difference between Headrush-108 and 112? I can't buy the 112 though as they are not available in my country

4. Is Headrush-108 truly FRFR? Is it a good match for Axe-Fx II XL+?

5. If I opt for Studio monitors which one will be better with Axe-FX between Yamaha HS80M, KRK Rokit8 and JBL LSR308? I am a progressive rock/heavy metal player. I heavily follow 'Dream Theater'. You can answer to this question based on my style of playing as well.

I apologize for asking too many questions. I will be forever grateful to you all if you help me take the right decision. Thanks in advance.

Studio monitors are a must-have for recording and are good for home practice. Out of the monitors you listed, I've heard people recommend the HS80M.

If you gig then eventually you'll need a good FRFR for a monitor or backline speaker (if you don't have a PA). Some people like the FRFR-108 but I found it lacking volume/clarity when used with a loud rock band. If you get one, I think eventually you'll probably want something better.

Studio monitors are a must-have for recording and are good for home practice. Out of the monitors you listed, I've heard people recommend the HS80M.

If you gig then eventually you'll need a good FRFR for a monitor or backline speaker (if you don't have a PA). Some people like the FRFR-108 but I found it lacking volume/clarity when used with a loud rock band. If you get one, I think eventually you'll probably want something better.
Thanks a lot for the response. Even if I buy the studio monitors I won't be using for recording as I don't have my personal studio. I and my band are working on our next album. We will be recording everything in a professional studio. So I will use my AXe-Fx at my home. I will start gigging next year after the album release. I hopefully will buy a Mission Gemini 2 when I will start gigging. But for now I need a solution for home/bedroom practice. Anyway so your goes to a pair of studio monitors over Headrush FRFR-108??

Studio monitors are far more useful at home. I use mine for listening to and learning songs. I only use my FRFR (CLR) at band practice and gigs.
Thanks again for your valuable response. If I use Axe-Fx with studio monitors do I need to buy an external audio interface, OR Axe-Fx itself has a built-in audio interface?

Thanks again for your valuable response. If I use Axe-Fx with studio monitors do I need to buy an external audio interface, OR Axe-Fx itself has a built-in audio interface?
The XL+ can attach directly to a PC or Mac via USB to record and playback with whatever DAW software you use.

Dear adept Axe-Fx users,

Newbie here. I just bought my Axe-Fx II XL+. Now I am confused how to use my Axe-Fx, whether an FRFR speaker or studio monitors. I will be using it basically for home practice. I won't be gigging next few months, so my main purpose is home practice and recording. I can't afford to buy a good FRFR speaker/cab and also they are not available in my country. Musical instrument shops in my country don't sell FRFR speakers. But only one shop has Headrush FRFR-108. And also studio monitors of some famous brands are available here. I have done my research and gone through lots of posts here that made me more confused. Please help me make a right decision whether should I opt for a pair of decent studio monitors or Headrush FRFR-108. I will soulfully appreciate your help based on my entire situation and purposes. I have some specific questions:

1. A pair of decent studio monitors vs Headrush FRFR-108 (maybe a pair of them), your vote? And which one is better for an untreated bedroom?

2. If I choose Headrush-108, is it necessary to buy a pair of them for stereo sound? Or just one piece will suffice? I mean how much is the difference between one piece and a pair?

3. Is there any big difference between Headrush-108 and 112? I can't buy the 112 though as they are not available in my country

4. Is Headrush-108 truly FRFR? Is it a good match for Axe-Fx II XL+?

5. If I opt for Studio monitors which one will be better with Axe-FX between Yamaha HS80M, KRK Rokit8 and JBL LSR308? I am a progressive rock/heavy metal player. I heavily follow 'Dream Theater'. You can answer to this question based on my style of playing as well.

I apologize for asking too many questions. I will be forever grateful to you all if you help me take the right decision. Thanks in advance.
In my opinion frfr108 not so good for me, so I prefer a studio monitor like KRK, but I have r6g3. So you can try with KRK, in other hand you can sell it if it worth for you.

In my opinion frfr108 not so good for me, so I prefer a studio monitor like KRK, but I have r6g3. So you can try with KRK, in other hand you can sell it if it worth for you.
Thanks for your suggestion, appreciate it. Glad to know that you are happy with your KRK. But many people say KRK is too bassy and muddy and flat response is not 100%, colors the sound a bit. Do you have a say on this? Have the ever tried Yamaha HS series? Another question, what's your room size and is it treated or untreated room?

For me personally, I don’t find playing through studio monitors as inspiring as something that moves air more and can fill the room. I know others disagree. I just prefer something more amp in the room like for playing at my house or rehearsals. The 108 isn’t pro quality by any means, but for the price I’m not sure how anyone can complain. Wait to find a blemished or used one AND then apply those saving to a set of studio monitors and then you have the best of both worlds!

Hey thanks a lot for your two pennies. Tak
For me personally, I don’t find playing through studio monitors as inspiring as something that moves air more and can fill the room. I know others disagree. I just prefer something more amp in the room like for playing at my house or rehearsals. The 108 isn’t pro quality by any means, but for the price I’m not sure how anyone can complain. Wait to find a blemished or used one AND then apply those saving to a set of studio monitors and then you have the best of both worlds!
[/QUOTE
Hey thanks a lot for your two pennies. Really appreciate it. I have some problems as I live in such a country where I have a very limited options. Some limited shops are selling limited products. I can't even buy any used or blemished frfr speakers as nobody uses this (as far as my knowledge is concern), as well as shops don't sell any frfr speakers/cabs. Only one shop is selling Headrush FRFR 108, that's it! This is why I am facing difficulties to find a right solution. Shops are weird as hell, they don't even allow people try things out unless you promise that you buy something. So there's no frfr speakers here except that Headrush FRFR-108. And these only these studio monitors are only available here - Yamaha HS series, KRK Rokit series, JBL LSR and PreSonus. Now you understand my situation. Now I think you can precisely advise me. If you think I should go for studio monitors, the which one should I go for among the above mentioned monitors? Or opting for that Headrush 108 over those monitors will be better for home practice? Thanks in asany

Last edited:
They are all more similar than they are different. 99.9% of people couldn't tell which is which if they were blindfolded. You might hear a slight difference, but that doesn't really make one "bad" and one "good". Coke taste different than Pepsi, but is one actually better ? No, not really... bit more subjective than anything

Its just like buying a TV.... different brands look slightly different, but once you start watching do your really find yourself in 6 months or 2 years later saying I wish I got the Sony, not the LG.... Probably not, you just watch what you've got.

People own, enjoy, and make great music with all the different brands of monitors or FRFR speakers. No one is being "held back" from being a rock start because they got JBL's, not Adams

Buy what you like, what fits your budget and needs, and then learn exactly how that translates to other systems and start making music

They are all more similar than they are different. 99.9% of people couldn't tell which is which if they were blindfolded. You might hear a slight difference, but that doesn't really make one "bad" and one "good". Coke taste different than Pepsi, but is one actually better ? No, not really... bit more subjective than anything

Its just like buying a TV.... different brands look slightly different, but once you start watching do your really find yourself in 6 months or 2 years later saying I wish I got the Sony, not the LG.... Probably not, you just watch what you've got.

People own, enjoy, and make great music with all the different brands of monitors or FRFR speakers. No one is being "held back" from being a rock start because they got JBL's, not Adams

Buy what you like, what fits your budget and needs, and then learn exactly how that translates to other systems and start making music
Wow, great insight! Truly appreciate your effort for making me understand something very important. You totally make sense. But still I have to go for an option eventually. I live in such a place where scarcity of musical instruments shops is astonishing which diminishes the opportunity to learn and try out different options. This makes me more confused. If I had the chance to go through lots of options to try out, I would have chosen the best option for me already. This is why a new AFX user like me is here to interact with all the AXF fanatics to understand things. As I can't try out different monitors in the shops in our country (They don't allow), I actually have to make a decision out of all these advises people are giving here. Anyway, eventually I must make a derision. I have never played guitar with a device like Axe-FX through any studio monitors. So people's advises/ suggestions are my only guideline here.

Now I have some questions. Do you run your AXF through any studio monitors or FRFR speakers? If yes, which model? What's your take on that?

Please help me choose between Yamaha HS series, KRK Rokit Series, JBL LSR series and PreSonus if I eventually go for studio monitors. Which one do you think will be a better match with AFX for practicing at home? Which option would you opt for if you were asked to choose between any of these studio monitors and Headrush FRFR-108? I will be forever grateful to you if you share your more precise help and suggestions. Thanks again.

Wow, great insight! Truly appreciate your effort for making me understand something very important. You totally make sense. But still I have to go for an option eventually. I live in such a place where scarcity of musical instruments shops is astonishing which diminishes the opportunity to learn and try out different options. This makes me more confused. If I had the chance to go through lots of options to try out, I would have chosen the best option for me already. This is why a new AFX user like me is here to interact with all the AXF fanatics to understand things. As I can't try out different monitors in the shops in our country (They don't allow), I actually have to make a decision out of all these advises people are giving here. Anyway, eventually I must make a derision. I have never played guitar with a device like Axe-FX through any studio monitors. So people's advises/ suggestions are my only guideline here.

Now I have some questions. Do you run your AXF through any studio monitors or FRFR speakers? If yes, which model? What's your take on that?

Please help me choose between Yamaha HS series, KRK Rokit Series, JBL LSR series and PreSonus if I eventually go for studio monitors. Which one do you think will be a better match with AFX for practicing at home? Which option would you opt for if you were asked to choose between any of these studio monitors and Headrush FRFR-108? I will be forever grateful to you if you share your more precise help and suggestions. Thanks again.
In the same situation here in Montreal.
Looking at the Headrush 112 and of all the stores I contacted, there is one 108 in the city it seems.
I tried it out and was somewhat impressed but I plan on getting 2 12s because I need stereo.
So now I need to base my decision on playing one 108 to buy two 12s.
This type of thing is holding me back from a making the purchase.

In the same situation here in Montreal.
Looking at the Headrush 112 and of all the stores I contacted, there is one 108 in the city it seems.
I tried it out and was somewhat impressed but I plan on getting 2 12s because I need stereo.
So now I need to base my decision on playing one 108 to buy two 12s.
This type of thing is holding me back from a making the purchase.
Did you ever pickup the HeadRush, if so was wondering if your happy with it...

If you have to choose one get the best studio monitors you can
Adam A7 (used) is my particular favorite and recommendation
Also is the Yamaha hs8 which is cheaper

Aside from that the best FRFR is Xitone Active 12” Wedge IMHO but that’s 900 new but one just sold here for only 600

If you want Xitone PM me and I’ll try to sort you out with the owner , hook u up
Thanks for the chime and offer however the Xitone is out of my budget, I'm interested in the HeadRush cuz I can get two 12" for $600 ++, so that makes it attractive as a Unicorn, I'm reading the reviews on Sweetwater and while mostly positive reviews there are others that are not, so was hoping that someone in the forum may have had experience with it and satisfied with its tone, some of the yt videos on the unit are informative but the individuals making the videos are not using a Fractal product and I'd really like to know how the Fractal stuff works through it, I did really like Marco's video.

Oh wow, that’s crazy ....are you sure its FRFR ??? A PAIR for $600???
Still Xitone for $600 single woulda been perfect, i wish you caught that
But if you want talk to REID BRIGHT at sweetwater, tell him Chris from NY sent you
Hell take care of you
yup, FRFR while I'm unsure of the quality here is the link if your interested, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FRFR112--headrush-frfr-112-2000-watt-1x12-inch-powered-guitar-cabinet be great if someone that owns these in the forum can chime in on what to expect.

I have 2 Headrush FRFR 112 setup in stereo as my main studio monitors, they work very well, sound dynamic and deep even at low volume levels. They translate what's coming out of the modeler accurately, when you modify the patch you can hear it clearly. I would say that the headrush accurately translates roughly 90% to 95% what I'm hearing in my headphones or monitors(Don't use the monitors anymore), except now you have 2000 watts aimed at you to get the power and feel of a real speaker cab. I just tweak the patches to match the headrush to get that 10% of what I lost in translation back. There incredibly loud when needed, two of these in front of you at head level and you can melt your face off if that's your goal.
One observation that I have noticed is that they seem to be slightly voiced for guitar. When listening to music the guitar in some songs is slightly more pronounced and clearer than normal, I actually prefer it. That being said if your looking for professional studio level accuracy in your monitors there are better options. But as all around speakers for listening to music and killer amp tones they are awesome. I know they both have high range drivers in them that give you full range to hear most frequency's. For mixing your own music they will get you close but not perfect. I would use a good set of studio headphones if you want to get that accurate.
For $300 each you cant beat them. they will meet most of your needs at home, they are loud enough and clear sounding enough to play in almost any live setting.
To answer the original post. I have only played through the 8 inch once they did sound smaller than the 12 inch modal but still clear and loud with good low end. I can reasonably say that I think you would be happier with a pair if the headrush cabinets in front of you than you would a pair of average studio monitors. The Headrush cabinets will give you the sound and feel of an in room air pushing amp. As a guitar player using modelers I would choose a pair of these over my JBL 5 inch monitors any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
I cant Imaging showing up to play with a band a busting out a pair of studio monitors and saying lets rip this!!!!! With the Headrush you could feel confidant knowing that you can easily keep up in volume and retain sound clarity with a band and you can still have the low practice volume levels without sacrificing tone. Especially if you have 2 of them to achieve that wide stereo room filling sound. Having Stereo capability can't be over stated it makes guitar tones sound so much more full and dynamic. Especially when using the excellent delays, reverbs and other effects on the Fractal Products. Stereo is why I will never go back to a traditional rig. I would love to get my hands on some of the more high end FRFR's out there but I'm more than content with my Headrush's. Bottom line is that I'm much more satisfied and inspired while playing through the headrush than I am playing through monitors and I think you would be to.

Last edited:
I have 2 Headrush FRFR 112 setup in stereo as my main studio monitors, they work very well, sound dynamic and deep even at low volume levels. They translate what's coming out of the modeler accurately, when you modify the patch you can hear it clearly. I would say that the headrush accurately translates roughly 90% to 95% what I'm hearing in my headphones or monitors(Don't use the monitors anymore), except now you have 2000 watts aimed at you to get the power and feel of a real speaker cab. I just tweak the patches to match the headrush to get that 10% of what I lost in translation back. There incredibly loud when needed, two of these in front of you at head level and you can melt your face off if that's your goal.
One observation that I have noticed is that they seem to be slightly voiced for guitar. When listening to music the guitar in some songs is slightly more pronounced and clearer than normal, I actually prefer it. That being said if your looking for professional studio level accuracy in your monitors there are better options. But as all around speakers for listening to music and killer amp tones they are awesome. I know they both have high range drivers in them that give you full range to hear most frequency's. For mixing your own music they will get you close but not perfect. I would use a good set of studio headphones if you want to get that accurate.
For $300 each you cant beat them. they will meet most of your needs at home, they are loud enough and clear sounding enough to play in almost any live setting.
To answer the original post. I have only played through the 8 inch once they did sound smaller than the 12 inch modal but still clear and loud with good low end. I can reasonably say that I think you would be happier with a pair if the headrush cabinets in front of you than you would a pair of average studio monitors. The Headrush cabinets will give you the sound and feel of an in room air pushing amp. As a guitar player using modelers I would choose a pair of these over my JBL 5 inch monitors any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
I cant Imaging showing up to play with a band a busting out a pair of studio monitors and saying lets rip this!!!!! With the Headrush you could feel confidant knowing that you can easily keep up in volume and retain sound clarity with a band and you can still have the low practice volume levels without sacrificing tone. Especially if you have 2 of them to achieve that wide stereo room filling sound. Having Stereo capability can't be over stated it makes guitar tones sound so much more full and dynamic. Especially when using the excellent delays, reverbs and other effects on the Fractal Products. Stereo is why I will never go back to a traditional rig. I would love to get my hands on some of the more high end FRFR's out there but I'm more than content with my Headrush's. Bottom line is that I'm much more satisfied and inspired while playing through the headrush than I am playing through monitors and I think you would be to.
Thank you for a very nice summary on this speaker system, I have been on the fence on purchasing a pair of them for my band rehearsals and small club gigs as my full Marshall stacks that are loaded with EVM12Ls are just too heavy and large for my current situation so sounds like based on your evaluation it’s going to be a viable low cost solution for me. Best...

Best reply to any post I've seen in any forum in years.

Back
Top Bottom