Headrush FRFR 108 monitor opinions from long time users.....?

Roadrunner

Power User
So, I'm on the hunt again for an FRFR set, main application is own monitor for live עןעד.
For those who use it for long time, what are the things you really don’t like about it?
I clearly see and know all the added value of that monitor, size, weight, volume and price etc but obviously the less good things is something you discover only after some time of use when the honeymoon phase ends.
Thanks.

I want to know the same thing. I’m about to start gigging with an FM9 and have always been a half stack guy. Very new to this world. I have an Axe 3 in my studio rig but never used live. Looking to get a solid FRFR.

Yeah, I am looking at them too. Just for rehearsals or as a monitor for myself on stage. I have been googling for an hour now but can’t find out if they have any oomph to it. The weight makes me scared of lacking low end.

Honestly, save your money for a better solution.
The Headrush will be your weakest part in the chain, it’s like putting bicycle tires on a sportscar. You will never release the full potential of the FM3/FM9/Axe III etc.

There are many many good options like Xitone, CLR, Friedman, RCF, EV, or my personal favorite Red Sound.
Grab your unit, go to the next store and try out as much as possible.
You always get what you are paying for, don’t expect a good sound from a 300 bucks monitor.

Honestly, save your money for a better solution.
The Headrush will be your weakest part in the chain, it’s like putting bicycle tires on a sportscar. You will never release the full potential of the FM3/FM9/Axe III etc.

There are many many good options like Xitone, CLR, Friedman, RCF, EV, or my personal favorite Red Sound.
Grab your unit, go to the next store and try out as much as possible.
You always get what you are paying for, don’t expect a good sound from a 300 bucks monitor.
Red Sound is the best I have ever heard. I have had most of them side by side.

If you want something inexpensive, I'd recommend hitting the used market, where you can often find something for 350-400.
QSC HPR, JBL PRX, Yamaha DXR, RCF ART are some that come to mind.
Those will sound MUCH better than the Headrush.

I agree with what others have said - it's going to be the weak link in your chain if you go with the headrush.

I've had a pair of them for over a year. They're okay for practice in that they get the job done, but I'm rarely satisfied with the experience. They always lack something. At practice awhile back, I brought in a tube amp and cab and ran into the effects loop and the bandmates liked it better. I'd like to NOT haul around a tube head and 412 cab though, so I'm in interested in other FRFR options.

just ok. there's an eq correction post floating around that helps it sound better. It's not in the dame universe as my CLR, but it's also the size of loaf of bread and weighs like 40lbs less so it's nice for just grab and go where I just need a little volume....or even just playing on my patio etc.

I had one, ditched it for a Dynaudio AXM12A (similar to the EV version). Massive improvement.

just ok. there's an eq correction post floating around that helps it sound better. It's not in the dame universe as my CLR, but it's also the size of loaf of bread and weighs like 40lbs less so it's nice for just grab and go where I just need a little volume....or even just playing on my patio etc.
I already made the mistake of buying the 108... could you share the link where that EQ correction post is floating that helps it sound better? Thank you very much.

My buddy just purchased one of these. I helped him last week flatten the curve by using the EQ correction and adjusting the output to +4 db. Sounded ok, not as good as my 2 Atomic CLRs....but it was not bad for an expensive rig.

The current flavor of the week is the EV PMX 12PM not a cheap solution by any means but a pretty decent one and it checked a lot of boxes in my list of concerns.

To the OP you should layout a budget and let everyone know what you're looking for... size, weight, type, There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to a monitor(s) I personally like the Coaxial type just because they are more compact and sound closer to how a guitar speaker sounds (sound coming from one location)

Back
Top Bottom