Headrush & Alto for Guitar and Vocals

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Hi all

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

A while back whilst owning a Yamaha DXR10, the Headrush was released and seemed to receive a lot of praise for its ability to run modellers.

I have since sold the Yamaha (dumb Covid sale) and I am now in need of a monitoring system.

From reading it seems the Alto and Headrush are from the same manufacturer with the only difference being that speakers being the Headrush does not have a Mic Pre or any built in EQ curves. There seems to be some hinting towards the Alto being voiced for Vocals and the Headrush being voiced for guitars.

For those of you who use the Headrush, or have experience of both:

How do you find it worked for vocals?
How do you find it worked for guitars?
How did you find it worked when running both through the Monitors?
Did you find any drawbacks in using the 108 in a loud hard rock band situation?
Are there better alternatives in that price range?

My plan is to purchase 2 and use them for vocals for one band and for Guitar potentially also vocals with a new band. I doubt these will ever leave the rehearsal room so are not needed to be FOH speakers.

Any opinions would be great, I need a set for Wednesday so placing the order tomorrow.

I am also considering racking up my IEMs and using them, but I would be the only person in the IEMs so monitors seem the best option.

Mike

My first FRFR speaker was an Alto and it was pretty awful. I was able to return within 30 days and got a DXR10 and it was night and day. That being said, I've read in the threads here on this forum, that the Headrush is better or more people are happy with them. I would shy away from the Alto but that is strictly based on my experience with the Alto I bought/returned from Guitar Center. Maybe it's voicing is suited for a PA/Vocals like you mentioned above. But you'd still need to run the band through them if they are your 'mains' that the audience is hearing. For a rehearsal situation, you can probably mix and match and EQ to get you where you need to be.

That's interesting as the DXR10 was such a good clear PA speaker, I fear the Headrush will be disappointing but a lot of people switched to the 108 based on more than just portability.

I may just order a pair of 108s and see how they work in rehearsal on Wednesday. Only way to truely know.

I own good IEMs but as the only person using them in the band, they only work with the one ear in method, but I have heard about volume compensation when you do this and I don't want to damage my hearing.

I think I just need to test the 108s

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using a pair of CLRs for years and last week I decided to get a pair of Heardrush 108's just for the size and weight and not beating up my clrs for live use. I have eq'd and eq'd with parametric and graphic to no avail. For me they are almost unusable. Maybe I'm just spoiled from using the good stuff. My two cents.

I own a pair of the Headrush 8" model.
They sound good. A lot of low end , but that can be adjusted with global EQ.
Very loud - which for me is a plus if Im going to play with a drummer.
It's always been my experience in that you get what you pay for - they are inexpensive so good value in my opinion.
The only FRFR I have used so no point of comparison.

I have been using a pair of CLRs for years and last week I decided to get a pair of Heardrush 108's just for the size and weight and not beating up my clrs for live use. I have eq'd and eq'd with parametric and graphic to no avail. For me they are almost unusable. Maybe I'm just spoiled from using the good stuff. My two cents.
That's my fear, have the Yamahas set a benchmark the Headrush are unable to meet.

I have my IEMs which I am going to take with me along with the Headrush.

The room layout is dreadful too, the PA is behind the drums, meaning that the vocals have to be so loud to get past the guitars I cant hear a thing without a lot of feedback.

I may try the IEMs, Headrush and have the guy move the PA to the other side of the room so the speakers are facing the band and see what sounds best, I rather he moved the speakers and the drummer had a monitor.

I think the PA speakers they use are crap too.

Ah 3rd world problems.

I own a pair of the Headrush 8" model.
They sound good. A lot of low end , but that can be adjusted with global EQ.
Very loud - which for me is a plus if Im going to play with a drummer.
It's always been my experience in that you get what you pay for - they are inexpensive so good value in my opinion.
The only FRFR I have used so no point of comparison.
I think I just need to try these out and see. The DXR was the first PA I owned and that seems to be the most compared speaker against the Headrush and people prefer the latter most of the time.

I have the Headrush 8s in my studio. My band uses them for rehearsals. They sound plenty good We have a AXE3, a Helix, a Tech 21 Geddy Pre and a Kat 4 kit going through them as well as the vocals.

We all use IEMs live.

Headrush will get you by if you are on a budget. You are better off spending more on something better or going the diy f12-x200 route. I have a couple headrush FRFR12s and a couple diy f12s. The headrush don't even compare.

Dont waste your money on HR. Get something good. When you a/b them to anything good they are underwhelming. Yamaha DXR10 is as cheap as Id go 👍

I use i pair of headrush 108's. In my home studio I mix them with my studio monitors. Sounds awesome and full! I also have used them with a live drummer with his kick drum being triggered through pair of 2x15 p.a towers and 1500w pa. Headrushes hang no problem, crazy loud. Eventually I'll get a Mission Engineering 2x12 passive frfr cab and power that with my Matrix power amp. I'm sure that'll blow the headrushs out of the water.

I started with RCF Art310a and used that for years. Then bought a Yamaha DXR10 after the RCF died.
It took me a while to adjust to the different tone of the DXR10.
I then thought I'd like to run in stereo on large stages so I bought a Headrush 108 to pair with the DXR10.
The 108 is louder than the Yamaha for sheer volume. That was a surprise.
It also sounds pretty good for a cheapy.
BTW: these monitors are a supplement to my stereo IEMs so I don't run them massively loud.

Back
Top Bottom