Headrush 108's good choice for "lightening the load" with FM3?

Fredlos120

Inspired
I have Axe FX II XL with QSC K 10's and a small rack (with power conditioner, Axe, CD player and Touchmix 8 on top). I play with backing tracks. K 10's work very well. In an attempt to "lighten the load, I have FM3 and just received the 108's. So now I am trying to get away with a MacBook or iPad with the FM3 and the 108's for the rig for smaller rooms. The 108's are under 20 lbs.! Am I crazy for sacrificing the sound quality for the size and weight difference? Is there something in that weight range that is better for this purpose? TIA - Always appreciate.

I have one, great bang for the buck, super easy to carry around, and sounds quite good and gets quite loud. I do like my CLR better of course, but for what I paid, no regrets on the extra options a 108 gives me

I use one for band practice and I think it sounds fine. Easily loud enough for the band I am currently in. I love it!
Little guy can get crazy loud. Now, I have played in bands with drummers where it would have no chance of hanging. But the drummer I have now and this band, it works great.

No, I don't think you crazy at all.

I bought a Headrush 108 because everyone says they are so great, but to me it sounds terrible. Cleans are useable but distortion sounds absolutely horrendous. High gain tones are especially bad, and there is no way to make it sound good. Cheap JBL 305 studio monitors sound way better, though not nearly as loud or as powerful. Not to slight those that like Headrush speakers, but maybe those people just aren't using them for high gain tones. Personally I cannot understand how Headrush speakers have developed such a positive reputation.

Last edited:
I have Axe FX II XL with QSC K 10's and a small rack (with power conditioner, Axe, CD player and Touchmix 8 on top). I play with backing tracks. K 10's work very well. In an attempt to "lighten the load, I have FM3 and just received the 108's. So now I am trying to get away with a MacBook or iPad with the FM3 and the 108's for the rig for smaller rooms. The 108's are under 20 lbs.! Am I crazy for sacrificing the sound quality for the size and weight difference? Is there something in that weight range that is better for this purpose? TIA - Always appreciate.
Depends on what you are want to spend.
If you are interested, please take a look at my Red Sound Elis 8 review (or the MF10 review from FSM) in the Amps and Cab section.
Cheers
Sash

If you are interested, please take a look at my Red Sound Elis 8 review (or the MF10 review from FSM) in the Amps and Cab section.
Cheers
Sash
OK - will do! What I want to spend and end spending are sometimes 2 different things. 😊

I use a Schertler Jam. I haven't seen any mention of them on this forum, but it gets back to @Sashman's comment that it depends on what you want to spend. It's very portable and loud with a full frequency range.

You mention playing backing tracks. This amp can handle your guitar, backing tracks, and still have a channel for vocals. It's loud enough for small to medium venues or to be used as a monitor for a large area.

Cheers
Sash
They look awesome! Marco wouldn’t back any junk. I wonder how much they weigh?

I have had the 108's and the 112 Headrush for over a year. No complaints only good!
They may be a tad bass heavy, just according to your taste.
I would buy again for sure. I'm not playing metal. Progressive rock to cleaner stuff.
Love the weight and footprint.
I had the QSC k10.2 and thought they were sterile sounding, couldn't find a good sound for me.

Our other guitarist had a 108 and it doesn’t sound bad at all. That said my matrix fr12 blows it away and is also light. There are other options but they cost more. IMO the 108 is good for the price.

I use a single 108 for band practice and it sounds great..used a 112 before and did not like it much..but it might have been that I just could not dial in...

my bigger question is would the HR108 cut it in a live setting without a PA?? I’m wondering if using a pair might be more efficient..

Ive got one 108 and thinking of getting a second. I use it for my own monitor and go to FOH anyway. Used it this past weekend for an acoustic gig. Was fantastic. Just set it up behind me and was more than enough and didnt have to go through PA. It is a little bass heavy with the acoustic and I had to dial back my bass knob significantly. Im sure there are better units out there but it sounds great to me and noone has said anything negative. The size and weight are added benefits.

Ive got one 108 and thinking of getting a second. I use it for my own monitor and go to FOH anyway. Used it this past weekend for an acoustic gig. Was fantastic. Just set it up behind me and was more than enough and didnt have to go through PA. It is a little bass heavy with the acoustic and I had to dial back my bass knob significantly. Im sure there are better units out there but it sounds great to me and noone has said anything negative. The size and weight are added benefits.

Totally agree...so you would say that having two would be sufficient without going to the PA for small/medium rooms?

Totally agree...so you would say that having two would be sufficient without going to the PA for small/medium rooms?
I mentioned getting another but only so I can get some stereo effects going. I have not relied on the 108 by itself for anything other than an acoustic gig. With the full band scenarios I am always going to PA also so I would let others chime in on whether the 108 is good as a stand alone solution (no FOH) with a full band.

I just got two of them for here at home. At the Jamnasium with the band I use a pair of Friedman ASM 12s. Although they aren't in the same league as the Friedmans, they're not bad at all for using at home........FAR better than the sub mediocre JBL 305's I had, or the Yamaha HS-5s for that matter. For a little over $400 brand new and delivered, I feel I got some pretty good bang for the buck.

The ELIS.8 cabinet from Red Sound looks like a good alternative, albeit a little more expensive. They just hit the market, and were designed with help from Marco Fanton. Marco starts the demo at about 10:50...

and

https://www.redsound.it/bundle-2x-elis-8-active-passive-cabinet-cavo-di-potenza-top-3m

I went with their stereo bundle of a powered cab, a non-powered cab plus the connecting cable. Two will fit into the width of a Headrush 112 cabinet, and are a little taller and deeper.

G66 is the European distributor, who also handles Fractal Audio over there. They're available direct from Red Sound for the US market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom