Headrush 108 vs 112

I just thought I would get this back up to the front for any new opinions. I had the 108s and I thought they sounded fine I'm getting ready to get an FM3 and thinking about getting the 112s

I have the 112. That’s why I’m building a cab for the Celestion F12-X200. Bought a speaker already and have been playing through it in an open back 112 I made years ago. Getting the best tones I’ve had yet on the FM3.

I have the 112. That’s why I’m building a cab for the Celestion F12-X200. Bought a speaker already and have been playing through it in an open back 112 I made years ago. Getting the best tones I’ve had yet on the FM3.
Nice. I'm going to give the fm3 another try I've been going back and forth whether to go 108s or 112s. It sounds like the 108s will be just fine.

Yes, the 108's have plenty of bottom end for guitar (actually I used have to dial quite a bit out). I don't know that I would play bass through them live, but plenty for guitar.

Yes, the 108's have plenty of bottom end for guitar (actually I used have to dial quite a bit out). I don't know that I would play bass through them live, but plenty for guitar.
I hear a lot of people put them down but I read the reviews, there are hundreds online from everybody that loves them so much. For the price I don't think you can beat them.

All these Headrush powered boxes remind me of the Alto TS210s and similar powered boxes (I have 4 of the TS210s). If only because they look like they're sourced from the same manufacturer. I am aware there are some internal differences between the Alto TS312 series and the Headrush112, but I'm curious how the Headrush boxes actually sound for modelers.

They'd need to sound way way better than the Alto TS210s I used for both monitors and sometimes my AX8. I now use an older XiTone for my AX8. Which compared to the Alto stuff ... there's a huge difference. The XiTone crushes the Altos. Period. Which shouldn't come as a surprise.

Still, the size (weight) and power the Headrush108 brings is appealing, but even at $199 delivered, it would need to sound righteous to make me not want to lug the XiTone around. Has anyone compared any of the Headrush boxes to thything from the Alto TS2xx or TS3xx series? If they sound remotely similar to one another I'd say that's not exactly a good thing IMHO. If the Headrush boxes are notably better sounding with things like the AX8 I might be open to trying one out. I could take my rig down to a local GC and try out a 108, but I'm not sure if I'm curious enough to go to a GC. You know, on purpose.
I have a XiTone wedge and an Accugroove Latte... both sound great, and I haven't heard anything else that compares. For instance, I tried a QSC 10.2, which is a nice little speaker and works just fine as a small PA. But side by side as a guitar rig with the Axe, it wasn't even close. I haven't tried the Headrush myself, but I've been assuming if the QSC doesn't hit my mark, it's unlikely the Headrush would...

IMO you haven't heard how good guitar FRFR can sound until you've tried one of the better guitar-specific rigs. The average PA speaker is ok, but still not in the same league.

Any more opinions or new opinions between the 108 and 112?

Since I started this thread I now own both. The 108 since '19. The 112 since last year I got one used for $85. It has some road wear but is otherwise fully functional. Quite the bargain!

Over all, the 112 sounds more balanced. Specifically the low end is somewhat tighter and more transparent. But it is noticeably bigger. So much so that it remains parked in my practice space at home. And the over all sound isn't night and day better. Especially at lower, monitor volumes. I use the 108 with my band as a monitor and it does 100% just fine. The only place I think the 112 wins over the 108 is if you're going to use it as the main source of your sound for the audience - using it as your un-mic'd amp for the band.

Otherwise, I use the line out to the PA and it doesn't matter one way or the other for the audience. They're just hearing the PA anyway. And the portability of the 108 is a massive win over the 112, which is much larger to lug around.

Unless you're fixed on having a marginally better sound or using it as your main amp, I'd get the 108 and count the combo of sound and portability as impossible to beat. The 108 is loud enough to be your main amp, just not quite as large sounding at highest volumes.

fwiw

Since I started this thread I now own both. The 108 since '19. The 112 since last year I got one used for $85. It has some road wear but is otherwise fully functional. Quite the bargain!

Over all, the 112 sounds more balanced. Specifically the low end is somewhat tighter and more transparent. But it is noticeably bigger. So much so that it remains parked in my practice space at home. And the over all sound isn't night and day better. Especially at lower, monitor volumes. I use the 108 with my band as a monitor and it does 100% just fine. The only place I think the 112 wins over the 108 is if you're going to use it as the main source of your sound for the audience - using it as your un-mic'd amp for the band.

Otherwise, I use the line out to the PA and it doesn't matter one way or the other for the audience. They're just hearing the PA anyway. And the portability of the 108 is a massive win over the 112, which is much larger to lug around.

Unless you're fixed on having a marginally better sound or using it as your main amp, I'd get the 108 and count the combo of sound and portability as impossible to beat. The 108 is loud enough to be your main amp, just not quite as large sounding at highest volumes.

fwiw
Perfect thank you for the info I was leaning towards the 108 just because I have a pretty small house and they are never going to go anywhere I pretty much just play at home and I'm not in a band or anything sound is important but if the 112 isn't twice as good or even more I think I will like the 108 just fine thanks again for the info👍🤘

i have both , 2 108's and 2 112's . the 112 is of course much more powerfull than the 108 , but both sound exellent .imho

Perfect thank you for the info I was leaning towards the 108 just because I have a pretty small house and they are never going to go anywhere I pretty much just play at home and I'm not in a band or anything sound is important but if the 112 isn't twice as good or even more I think I will like the 108 just fine thanks again for the info👍🤘
This is definitely the direction you should go.

They are both terrible IMO but the 112 sounds the better of the two, Take your modeller to a PA stockist and play it through all the power monitoring in your price range and buy that. Hopefully they may have a 112 to compare. Opinions differ so much on these I would really suggest you need to audition them at volume. Flat has nothing to do with either.

Last edited:
Opinions differ so much on these I would really suggest you need to audition them at volume.
Most definitely. Loud!

When I wanted time to test amps loud I’d ask when was the best time at the store to be able to turn it up undisturbed. I’d go in then, and the sales people and manager knew I wasn’t just kicking tires so they’d basically clear out the amp room and let me have it for an hour.

Back
Top Bottom