Headrush 108 vs 112

hbucker

Inspired
I'm looking for experienced opinions as I consider these two FRFRs for my Ax8.

I'm trying to avoid the "bigger is always better" approach to this and find the 108 size to be very appealing. The 112 size doesn't put me off though. Volume seems to not be an issue with either one.

How different is the sound these make? Would the 108 help filter out some of the boomy low end reported on the 112?

Does the 108 sound boxier/less open than the 112? Would the 108 transate to backline band use? Or just home and monitor use?

Any other comparisons from folks with hands-on experience are welcome.

Thanks!

I can’t compare since I don’t have the 112s, but I’m using two of the 108s as output for my rig. VERY happy with the range, presence, and power. Lots of low fill from backing tracks, and the guitar mixes in great.

I’d venture to say very usable for small and certain medium venues.

I use the AX8 with a FRFR108 and I'm extremely happy with it - It's a lot more powerful than it looks and the unit itself it tiny.
It can seem too bassy/boomy IF you stand too close too it - The speaker is highly directional and if you ensure that the speaker is pointing directly at your head/ears it sounds great.
I'll probably buy a second one soon.

I have both a Headrush 108 and an Atomic CLR. The CLR wins on clarity for sure, but I love the 108 for portability (<20 lbs) and price. It’s my go to rehearsal rig as it’s so easy to move around. Plenty of volume and I’d argue in a full band mix you can’t tell much difference between the two speakers. I’m currently experimenting using the 108 on both an amp stand as well as directly on the floor in wedge format, both as my back line in full band rehearsals. While I prefer the CLR off the ground, I’m kind of liking the 108 on the ground in a traditional floor monitor position.

I have both a Headrush 108 and an Atomic CLR. The CLR wins on clarity for sure, but I love the 108 for portability (<20 lbs) and price. It’s my go to rehearsal rig as it’s so easy to move around. Plenty of volume and I’d argue in a full band mix you can’t tell much difference between the two speakers. I’m currently experimenting using the 108 on both an amp stand as well as directly on the floor in wedge format, both as my back line in full band rehearsals. While I prefer the CLR off the ground, I’m kind of liking the 108 on the ground in a traditional floor monitor position.

CLR seems like what would sound the best. I've never heard a bad thing about how it sounds. But the small/portability thing is also something that holds value for me.

Do you find the 108 to be extremely directional?

I'm glad to hear it works well in a band setting.

No, wouldn’t say it’s extraordinarily directional. I think it’s a no brainer for the price. There’s one for sale on the forum now for $165 for anyone looking. I’d go for it. It can get ridiculously loud!

All these Headrush powered boxes remind me of the Alto TS210s and similar powered boxes (I have 4 of the TS210s). If only because they look like they're sourced from the same manufacturer. I am aware there are some internal differences between the Alto TS312 series and the Headrush112, but I'm curious how the Headrush boxes actually sound for modelers.

They'd need to sound way way better than the Alto TS210s I used for both monitors and sometimes my AX8. I now use an older XiTone for my AX8. Which compared to the Alto stuff ... there's a huge difference. The XiTone crushes the Altos. Period. Which shouldn't come as a surprise.

Still, the size (weight) and power the Headrush108 brings is appealing, but even at $199 delivered, it would need to sound righteous to make me not want to lug the XiTone around. Has anyone compared any of the Headrush boxes to thything from the Alto TS2xx or TS3xx series? If they sound remotely similar to one another I'd say that's not exactly a good thing IMHO. If the Headrush boxes are notably better sounding with things like the AX8 I might be open to trying one out. I could take my rig down to a local GC and try out a 108, but I'm not sure if I'm curious enough to go to a GC. You know, on purpose.

Hi, I own Ax8 and I dial my amp tones on my KRK RP5 reference monitors on a sufficiently high level (as suggested in many forums and videos around 90-95db). However, I am not satisfied with my tones on stage PAs. I think the natural coloration of my KRK monitors and insufficient low end of 5" speakers deceive me a little. It may also depend on room/desktop conditions as well. Anyways one cannot be sure about whole Fq spectrum with just 5" monitors for sure.

And at stage I use FX LOOP (put in front of CAB block) of Ax8 in conjunction with EHX Magnum 44 mini Power amp connected to a ENGL Gigmaster 110 Cab to monitor myself. This seems to satisfy me a little with its warm tones, but of course I cannot monitor the modelled CAB which I send to PA via XLR out.

In order to solve these two issues (namely, dialing tones more transparently as they should come out of Ax8 for stage PA or DAW recording & having a desired, tasty stage monitor sound), I decided to buy a FRFR speaker as thaousands of amp modeler users prefer. My observations around forums and videos led me to Headrush FRFR112 being the most clear, flat and budget friendly product on the market. (I also read the comparisons with Alto TS312 having a preamp section inside which we - amp modeler users - wouldn't prefer much)

My question is:

Since Headrush FRFR108 is more budget-space-travel friendly, it seemed more appealing to me to tell the truth. I have to think about every aspect eventually. I am sure that I would anyway be happy with what I would hear from it during home practices and studio rehearsals. However, I wonder if it would suffice to fulfil my needs about true / flat tone dialing for big PA systems and tasty sounding monitoring at larger stages.

I would be thankful for opinions.
Best regards to all.

My question is:

Since Headrush FRFR108 is more budget-space-travel friendly, it seemed more appealing to me to tell the truth. I have to think about every aspect eventually. I am sure that I would anyway be happy with what I would hear from it during home practices and studio rehearsals. However, I wonder if it would suffice to fulfil my needs about true / flat tone dialing for big PA systems and tasty sounding monitoring at larger stages.

I would be thankful for opinions.
Best regards to all.

Honestly, I wonder if dialing tone in on any speaker will guarantee you won't want to tweak your tone in a live setting. PAs vary from venue to venue as well as the person working the board and how they choose to eq/mix you. One size fits all just doesn't seem realistic. That leaves me with dialing in my tone as best I can at home or at practice and then hoping for the best. BTW: this is no different than traditional guitar gear and PAs at a venue. In fact it's probably easier with the AX8 because there is no issue with mic placement.

I've dialed in my AX8 tones using small studio monitors, a SS power amp and traditional 2x12 cab, and a two-way powered floor monitor with a 15" driver and horn tweeter. - With this, today my Headrush 108 was delivered and I spent about an hour running some patches through it. It sounded really nice with virtually no tweaking required. It is more detailed and balanced than my powered wedge but my presets all sound like some version of fine through it.

First impressions of the 108: Volume seems to be no problem. At times it can seem just a little bit boxy sounding. This isn't bad though and I'm assuming it's because of the size. If someone needs lots of low end chug at loud volumes, they probably need something with a 12" driver. I'm guessing this will fart out in those situations, but arguably, I haven't tried this and don't really care. I won't need any high volume chugging.

As for the contour button: I can't imagine this being necessary unless you're playing at very low volumes. Anything from normal amp volumes up to loud means that the button will be disengaged for me.

Will be happy to post more opinions as I work with it some more. Until then, it seems the positive reviews I've read seem to generally coincide with what I'm experiencing with the 108.

I'm looking for experienced opinions as I consider these two FRFRs for my Ax8.

I'm trying to avoid the "bigger is always better" approach to this and find the 108 size to be very appealing. The 112 size doesn't put me off though. Volume seems to not be an issue with either one.

How different is the sound these make? Would the 108 help filter out some of the boomy low end reported on the 112?

Does the 108 sound boxier/less open than the 112? Would the 108 transate to backline band use? Or just home and monitor use?

Any other comparisons from folks with hands-on experience are welcome.

Thanks!
I have both the 112 and 108. The 108 is boomier due to the smaller speaker. I just drop the three lowest global eq sliders and it takes care of it. ( I just drop the two lowest sliders when using the 112) Its loud, cuts through the mix and sounds great. It came in handy when my band played a show with Crowbar in Dayton, Ohio. Small stage and only had room for my AX8 and the Headrush 108.

I have both the 112 and 108. The 108 is boomier due to the smaller speaker. I just drop the three lowest global eq sliders and it takes care of it. ( I just drop the two lowest sliders when using the 112) Its loud, cuts through the mix and sounds great. It came in handy when my band played a show with Crowbar in Dayton, Ohio. Small stage and only had room for my AX8 and the Headrush 108.
Do you find the amp on these speakers running pretty hot to the touch? It makes sense to me, but I was a little surprised at how hot my 108 was getting tonight at moderate to high volumes.

Do you find the amp on these speakers running pretty hot to the touch? It makes sense to me, but I was a little surprised at how hot my 108 was getting tonight at moderate to high volumes.
Yes. Mine does run hot but not so hot that it shuts down. I’ve had no issues with it yet.

Agreed that they do run a bit hot, but has never been an issue for me
Yes. Mine does run hot but not so hot that it shuts down. I’ve had no issues with it yet.
. Also have to say that this little guy (the 108) kept up just fine at practice tonight indoors. I had the 108 output at 4 and the AX8 volume at just past noon. Kept up with a full band easily with plenty of headroom to spare.

I have a newbie question for all of you who use FRFR cabs...... how do you set up your AX8/FRFR cab volumes? (AX8 Output 1 vs the FRFR Volume knob). There seems to be 2 different schools of thought regarding this: either crank up the AX8 ouput and adjust FRFR accordingly, or set your FRFR cab at a certain point, and adjust the AX8. There may be no "right" answer, but I'm looking for the best performance answer. Thanks!

I think you’ll hear many points of view on this. Personally, I set my AX8 output 1 volume at noon and then adjust the the FRFR output to the volume I need. Then if I need more volume I can easily adjust from the AX8 on the fly given the knob is only at noon.

I think you’ll hear many points of view on this. Personally, I set my AX8 output 1 volume at noon and then adjust the the FRFR output to the volume I need. Then if I need more volume I can easily adjust from the AX8 on the fly given the knob is only at noon.
Makes sense to me! Thanks Matt007

Agreed that they do run a bit hot, but has never been an issue for me
. Also have to say that this little guy (the 108) kept up just fine at practice tonight indoors. I had the 108 output at 4 and the AX8 volume at just past noon. Kept up with a full band easily with plenty of headroom to spare.
Does the 108 have plenty of low end

Back
Top Bottom