Headphones

youngmic

Inspired
So I've had the II for quite a while, but I hadn't ever tried the headphone jack. Out of curiousity, I plugged a cheap set of Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones in. Uh...wow. I may invest in a good pair and practice a lot more through headphones. Quite enjoyable actually - and surprising. Because of past experiences with other headphone solutions that will remain nameless, I was expecting to be disppointed. But it was all there. (I know, why wouldn't it be?) Cool.

Last edited:
I have a wide range of headphones from fairly cheap to ridiculously expensive. Mostly I use my Sennheiser RS220’s because they are the best quality wireless cans out there. Combined with the Line6 G90 I can roam the house cordless and am a nuisance to nobody. It’s sweet to sit out on the back patio unbeknownst to anyone and have a pro setup and sound at my fingertips.

Flip the switch on the monitors or Atomics and I can play in the neighbor’s garage and my place literally becomes a speaker housing. :) Amazing times!

I play pretty much exlusively through Grado 120's. Sounds amazing, and my wife and neighbors are happy.

I really enjoy it as well. Currently using AKG-702's and love the sound. One thing I notice is a bit of digital clipping with the output set above about 7.5. So I leave it just below and love it. I am thinking of getting some type of a headphone amplifier so that the AXE can serve as a pre amp of sorts , with output set lower, say about 6 and then get more volume with the amp. I know that a lot of higher end cans run at a bit higher OHMS, which in turn looses some volume. (My 702's run at 62 OHMS and are also available in 600 OHMS which are very quiet and strictly need an amp, and that after reading other threads here, I knew to order the 62 OHM version) I think if you are getting any fizzle on you quiet cleans like I get right now at the level I enjoy, using a secondary amp is the best way to a nice pure signal at my desired volume (Not blast out your ears, but where I can have a bit more head room. Particularly for my cleans.

Anybody running a headphone amp? Thoughts/Experiences/Type?

I bought the LCD-2 headphones and loved them, but they were too uncomfortable for me to wear for more than 10 minutes or so. I wear glasses and that makes a big difference with some of the snugger fitting headphones.

I'm thinking about trying the RS220's wireless with the Line 6 transmitter (which I'd like to use with my band as well). Is the Line 6 one of the better wireless systems for guitar? Wireless AXE FX sounds like a heavenly set up for gigs and home.

I bought the LCD-2 headphones and loved them, but they were too uncomfortable for me to wear for more than 10 minutes or so. I wear glasses and that makes a big difference with some of the snugger fitting headphones.

I'm thinking about trying the RS220's wireless with the Line 6 transmitter (which I'd like to use with my band as well). Is the Line 6 one of the better wireless systems for guitar? Wireless AXE FX sounds like a heavenly set up for gigs and home.

I cannot compare the G90 with others because it's the only wireless I have ever used but reviews across the board are good from many that are much more experienced than myself. I'm such a goober that I was always getting caught up in my headphone and/or guitar cables and yanking them off my head, out of the guitar, or out of the Axe-Fx. The G50 or G90 was a no brainer for me at its price point compared to other systems it was being compared to un reviews.

The RS220's are not completely flat but are very much comparable to my HD650's in sound and quality. They are by far the best wireless headphones out there today IMO. I create my patches most often using my monitors. It’s not difficult to adjust accordingly for whatever headphones you use. I have some high end Grado GS1000i’s that I love to listen to final mixes with. It’s all about being comfortable with your equipment and understanding your reference points and making the proper adjustments.

For freedom and maneuverability I just love the G90 and RS220 combo.

Did you send them back, I am looking to buy a set.
Chris

im using dt770 vom beyerdynamic .. canceling out backround and string noise pretty good so you dont have to turn up the volume too much

If you use cans all the time, which I do, I find that adjusting the room parameter in the cab block makes it sound more open. Not sure how it translates to a mix or recording, but I like it.

Back
Top Bottom