Headphones

Cooldrewb

Inspired
Hi Guys,

Quick question I always play through my speakers but the wife has been complaining about it night. So, I plugged in my Bose headphones and was surprised at how different it sounded. It is very fizzy. Anyone use headphones and have any tricks.

You need headphones that are designed for monitoring. I personally use Blue Mix-Fi, but everyone on here has their own preference.

Ya, I think maybe tweaking might be the option for right now. I just spent all my money on the axe and speakers.

I just A/B listened to as many headphones as I could and chose the one that most closely matched my monitor-listening experience. The one's I ultimately chose were not expensive.

I just A/B listened to as many headphones as I could and chose the one that most closely matched my monitor-listening experience. The one's I ultimately chose were not expensive.
How did you A/B before you bought because you need your Fractal to hear it.

I tried using my Bose QC35II with Axe-Fx III and the result was exactly as you described. These headphones sound really bad with Fractal. I got myself Mackie MP‑220 IEM's and I'm very happy with them. I tested as well Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and they worked pretty well, but I decided to go the IEM way.

I tried using my Bose QC35II with Axe-Fx III and the result was exactly as you described. These headphones sound really bad with Fractal. I got myself Mackie MP‑220 IEM's and I'm very happy with them. I tested as well Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and they worked pretty well, but I decided to go the IEM way.
I tried the entire AT line, and to me, the ATH-M40x sounded the most natural. I prefer it to even the most expensive of the line.

I use the Audeze LCD-X’s and they sound very similar to my FRFR and studio monitors. I like them because they are open back, and don’t have that pressure build-up that can happen with lower tones.

I would agree with @yoitsmegabe.
If you think a preset sounds too “fuzzy or fizzy or ?” I’d recommend changing IRs.
While jamming with a live band in the studio last week , I was playing thru a Bassman factory preset , with a Les Paul. It’s was sounding great. I was cutting thru in the mix , and life was good. When we stopped playing , I played a few riffs alone. I didn’t care for the Fizzy sound I was hearing at that time , so I changed the cab and found one much more pleasing to my ear. Flat response , smooth......

Then we started playing again. My guitar kind of just disappeared , and sounded lifeless. So , I reverted back to the original “fizzy” IR , and Voila ! My guitar was back. Loud and “clear”. I think we all tend to forget how electric , distorted guitars actually sound in real life and in recordings. Certain reference sources may mask the available frequencies, which may in turn sound more favorable , but I think those fizzy sounds you’re hearing are proper ; and in most cases , perfect for recorded and live sound. They just sound a bit harsh and buzzy , etc - alone , thru a good reference monitor / headphones.
Anyways , not trying to tell anyone what to do or not. If something works for you , by all means. Just wanted to share my experiences and opinion.

Hi Guys,

Quick question I always play through my speakers but the wife has been complaining about it night. So, I plugged in my Bose headphones and was surprised at how different it sounded. It is very fizzy. Anyone use headphones and have any tricks.

Is your main output OUTPUT 1?

I'm experiencing the same thing. I've spent two weeks playing through my Spacestation MK II, and the Axe FX III sounds fantastic and three dimensional. Today for the first time I plugged in my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x phones and it seems to have way too much reverb. I guess I can go into globals and reduce the reverb amount, but either my Spacestation is a wonderful enhancer or my headphones suck.

EDIT: It also seems to have a noticeable latency, whereas I can't perceive any latency through the speaker.

After further experimentation, I realized I hadn't set optimum levels in the Global I/O section. My Strat has GFS Noiseless pickups which I set the height pretty low (I hate Stratitis). I moved the input level to get an occasional blip into red and it sounds much better.

I'm experiencing the same thing. I've spent two weeks playing through my Spacestation MK II, and the Axe FX III sounds fantastic and three dimensional. Today for the first time I plugged in my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x phones and it seems to have way too much reverb. I guess I can go into globals and reduce the reverb amount, but either my Spacestation is a wonderful enhancer or my headphones suck.

EDIT: It also seems to have a noticeable latency, whereas I can't perceive any latency through the speaker.
The headphones are stereo, the Space station is not. It's also not flat response...

Headphones will make Reverb and Delay more apparent than playing through a speaker because there is no "room" ambience to absorb the effects.

If you dialed in presets on the Space station then they may not translate to other speakers or headphones.

There's no latency to the headphones unless you're not listening from the headphone jack of the Axe Fx. Are you plugging in somewhere else?

There would be "trouble in paradise" if anyone ever complained at my house. Feel for you, nobody should ever have to play with headphones in their own home :sweat:

If your main output is output 1, add an output 2 block and put a PEQ or GEQ block right in front of it and shape your tone to sound good with whatever headphones or in ears you choose.

Hi Guys,

I use Massdrop's Sennheiser HD 6xx, but the HD 58x are sonically as good, and $45 cheaper. These are damn good for the price.

The headphones are stereo, the Space station is not. It's also not flat response...

Headphones will make Reverb and Delay more apparent than playing through a speaker because there is no "room" ambience to absorb the effects.

If you dialed in presets on the Space station then they may not translate to other speakers or headphones.

There's no latency to the headphones unless you're not listening from the headphone jack of the Axe Fx. Are you plugging in somewhere else?
I think the reverb levels were so high it made it seem like latency. Bumping up my input and reducing reverb in the globals has it sounding better, but I realize I really need to get my reference monitors set up.

Back
Top Bottom