Headphones without getting behind the unit!

WillSchil

So totally newb question as I'm a little late to Axe FX II game. I've done plenty of searching and can't find anything on this specific thing.

My default setup is no headphones, and output 1(L and R) going out to my studio monitors. Currently to use my headphones(and not use the monitors at all, ex: at night) I have to plug my headphones in the front of the unit and then unplug the outputs on the back of the unit or move them over to Output 2(L/R).

Now I thought about the obvious simple fix. Since obviously the headphones out is the same as the Output 1 path on the back of the unit, I should just be able to plug my monitors into Output 2 and have that turned all the way down on the front knob, only messing with the Output 1 knob. But this doesn't seem to work because when I want to use the Axe FX in Pro Tools, it only has the Output 1 listed. So I have to get back behind the unit and move them over anyways.

Sorry if this is so stupid that you just rolled your eyes at it, but I can't figure it out. Lol. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

If you are recording via USB then you should set the USB/Digi out source from the I/O -> Audio screen to Output 2. That should fix your issue.

I agree it's annoying that the unit is set up like this. I've just started using my audio interface with headphones and Axe going to it over SPDIF rather than the Axe-Fx so I can have it connected via XLR to Output 1.

can you turn off your studio monitors?

Unfortunately I can't, I have my Axe FX and monitors powered by the same power conditioner. I was hoping there was a way to do internal routing but it doesn't sound like a possibility. I'll probably just end up getting a cheap mixer like Bakerman suggested, seems like that would solve the issue. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Unfortunately I can't, I have my Axe FX and monitors powered by the same power conditioner. I was hoping there was a way to do internal routing but it doesn't sound like a possibility. I'll probably just end up getting a cheap mixer like Bakerman suggested, seems like that would solve the issue. Thanks for the replies everyone!
Are the power switches on the rear?

Your powered monitors must have power switches. Surely you don't leave them on all the time? I only turn mine on when I want to use them.

I run my Axe [and keys and stuff] into a mixer and the monitors and headphones connect to the mixer
from the mixer I have complete control over over where the audio is sent

a mixer don't have to be huge and expensive if money and / or space are issues..
you can get a small 8 channel for a little over a hundred bucks

I use a small power strip with only three outlets and most importantly an on/off switch, just for my monitors. It doesn't matter where they get their power from, they need to be off, they stay off!

Your powered monitors must have power switches. Surely you don't leave them on all the time? I only turn mine on when I want to use them.

I use a pair of little M-Audio powered monitors as my computer speakers (and occasionally for guitar practice via the Axe-Fx). I don't recall ever turning them off in the 14+ or so years I've owned them, other than to move them into a new house.

Back
Top Bottom