Headphones usage

I went with the KRK's ($100 whatev model, 6400 I think) and sort of regret it...
Ordered online after being told by a certain retailer's customer service dept that it would take a standard, non-proprietary 1/8" cable (lie). I was working overseas a lot at the time, so ease of keeping it up and running was important.
Their high end is unbearable scratchyness, the lows aren't great, but do hit. All and all, not a good choice IMO. The cheapo Senns I had before sounded better, but didn't last long.
I've gotta' give those 880's a try. Baby in the house = lots of headphone time (when there's time to play).

but to be honest better headphones aren't going to solve the perception of the way things sound at high vs. low volumes. Better headphones will be more accurate for sure, but there will always be a difference thanks to human perception of frequencies at different levels, ala Fletcher Munson. I always dial in and tweak things at fairly high volumes because it's closer to what things will be actually heard at. Then after I turn down a bit and if there's a significant issue I may go back and tweak again. There's no easy solution. The fact cliff says it sounds better at high volumes is a great thing because it used to be that bedroom levels aon the Axefx were stellar then at gig volume it was thin and wimpy (for some people). This is exactly the way real amps sound, low volumes there kind of murky then turn them up and they sound beautiful. Crank it!

I have the DT880 Pro's in 250 Ohm too. I agree, they're quite nice. Nicest I've ever owned. With Output 1 set at 12:00, my ears are starting to bleed.
That's good to know (their ability to be driven by the Axe, not your ears bleeding, lol), as I'm in the market for new headphones and have my eye on these.

I give a third vote for the DT880s. Outside of the ax fx, best money I've spent. My reasoning is, if you have the best amp box on the planet, why would you go cheap on the cans?
In retrospect, I would rather get good headphones and use a POD HD, than cheap cans (or non FRFR) with the Ax Fx. If you you already have the Ax Fx, spend the extra $ and get some flat response cans. It makes all the difference. Also, if you play live, the sound from the PA will not match what you've dialed in.

Based on the glowing praise here, I've gone ahead and ordered a pair of dt-880s. I'll report back my findings after evaluating them.

May be too late but you might consider open back as opposed to closed back headphones. You will get a more natural and flatter frequency response with open back. The trade off is you don't get perfect isolation (ie they put out some noise through the back of the cones) It wouldn't be something that annoys the neighbors or anything but you would get leakage if recording with a microphone. I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 when I need complete isolation from any microphones, like when recording vocals or acoustic instruments. My main monitoring pair, which I even use to tweak presets, is the Sennheiser HD 650's (not cheap). I live in a condo building and I have kids etc. etc. so in the evening the bulk of my monitoring actually, out of necessity, is headphones. I am a mixer by day so I can always check stuff at full volume on Genelecs at the studio but as far as a very flat headphone with good bass response, not hyped, they are very high quality. I find the AXE FX II has no problem giving me gobs and gobs of output when driving them. I would never ever approach a fully cranked output knob. YMMV

In what respect(s) do you prefer them? I own a couple sony mdr-v6 which I understand are pretty much the same as the 7506 but have been considering the dt-880s.

Bass is much nicer. Overall tone too. DT is also more comfortable.

I should add that over the ear is much more comfortable than on ear. I can wear my pair , if needed, for 8 hours with no fatigue since the cans fit over my ears completely.

So I tired my other pair of headphones which are an Ultrasone Pro 600 and it sounded softer then the ones I use for DJing. I was able to turn them to up to about 40% and had some decent tones. Both of my headphone are rated at about 35ohms which from what I can tell, the lower the ohms, the louder the sound. Since my Ultatones sound decent turned up, I may just stick with them. Maybe in the future, I will look at the DT880 which seems to be everyones favorite.

joe...

I have the 770s (80ohm) which are great in most respects, good lows and mid detail, but just a little too harsh in the top end. I will probably switch out to a set of 880s now. I have a range of in-ear monitors which i use for 99% of my work on stage and the priciest of which are £800 5-driver custom molds. In nearly all cases the top is not as pronounced as the 770s would have you believe. Though, interestingly, the presets i have tuned on the 770s, once coming through the front of house system sound great. Probably because the slight recess in the highs rounds off the sound of my presets in a ear-pleasing way.
Whatever works, right?

Last edited:
I find open back headphones to be a much clearer representation of the Axe FX through a live system for tweaking. I was using Grado's but recently changed to Audeze LCD2's. Both are great (and pricey) but I spend so much time with them on, I figured what the hell. The Audeze are a little flatter response than the Grado. With the open back vs. closed back, I find the ambiance makes it easier to tweak the Axe.

I've tried a variety of different headphones. The all sound so drastically different from one another that I don't trust any of them. My favorite are probably the Sony MDR-7509HD. I imagine Grados or Audeze would be a lot better, or at least they should given the prices.

I have several Sennheiser (wireless and wired 650HD's) a very expensive pair of Grado GS1000i, and a couple lower end Sony and AKG cans. As Cliff stated they all sound different. By far my favorite are the Grado's. They are not a flat headphone and accentuate the bass and treble a bit. For low volume listening this is ideal for me what with Fletcher-Munsen and all. The soundstage on them is amazing. You feel like you are standing on stage as opposed to in the audience.

I have found you can dial in your presets with headphones and have them translate to your non headphone monitoring solutions regardless of the difference between them. You just need to know your gear.

I have found you can dial in your presets with headphones and have them translate to your non headphone monitoring solutions regardless of the difference between them. You just need to know your gear.

I think that sums it up perfectly!

Not forgetting once you've got your sounds dialled in, you can always make use of the global EQ place to place, headphone to headphone..

You could run a small headphone amp allowing you to open the volume up on the AXeFX to 50% and dial back the headphone amp..
SMSL Sap VI HiFi Portable Headphone Amplifier for Small and Medium Impedance Amp | eBay

this is just a quick search online.

WARNING - Running anything too loud in your headphones will damage your ears and hearing over time. i know we can all joke about it but it does happen and the last thign you need is early tinitus or losing frequencies from your hearing in the top end.. Distorted audio signals are harsh for the ear drums so best to get some way to be about to turn up the axefx and then attenuate the headphone send..:)

Has anybody compared the grado's ( sr 125i,sr225i or sr325i) with the dt880.
I'm in the market for some headphones,too. I've tried the dt 770 pro but didn't like the closed back feeling. They sounded pretty good though.

Back
Top Bottom