Headphones usage

godwentpunk

Inspired
I just upgraded to 14.2 and was playing around with the presets.

As I was, I was still not liking many of the presets... most sounded like they have a blanket on them... those presets that were clean sounded much better.

My headphones are the one I use for DJing so they are more bass oriented so I can hear beats over high end...

I then recall Cliff saying that the presets were designed to be played loudly... and I thought and noticed that my output1 level was at 25%... so I turned them to 50% and OH MY GOD... 1000% better.. the blanket was gone and those more gain presets sounded MUCH better... I never really put the level at 50% before because it is rather loud, not ear bleeding.. but I decided to live with it for a bit.

So, my question is... can I somehow adjust the FX2 so I can experience that %50 headphone experience at a %25 volume?

thanks!

joe...

I only use the Axe with headphones and rarely go past 25% - sounds great to me.
Using the ATH M50's.
Same for me... ATH M50's, usually run the Axe around 30%, and that's with the Output 1 Gain at around -9db (in Global Settings).

Unless you've got flat monitor headphones there are gonna be some frequencies that need tweaking. Especially since most consumer headphones have some feature like "UBER-XTREMEZ-BAZZ-ULTRA" so commuters can listen to deafening bass with their dance music on the train. :nightmare:

ive gotta second the dt880. i bout some sony 7506 for computer games but they seemed a little shrill for listening to music so i upgraded to the dt880 and they sounded so good that i got rid of my k12. fixed a lot of the frfr strangeness that can be found

Best to go with studio phones, I prefer the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (250 Ohm)

I went through several headphones and once I picked up the DT880 Pro's it was like a whole new world with the Axe FX. Def. recommend you invest in a pair if you are going to use headphones!

I wasn't thrilled with the price, but I love my LCD-2s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't thrived with the price, but I love my LCD-2s.
Wow! Serious money! How do you find them in practice, are you able to dial in sounds at headphone listening levels that work well in a gig volume environment?

Do the DT880 Pro 250 ohm require a headphone amp or will the Axe Fx2 drive them properly?

Thanks

Gregg
I tried the DT 770 Pros, which are 80 ohm. I know they are not the same thing, but I thought the Axe had a little trouble driving those.

I have the DT 880 Edition, 250 Ohm.

With the output cranked the Axe-Fx can just drive them. For silent Jamhub rehearsals with the band I need a headphone amp inbetween, which is no problem. They sound great, not hyped, I don't get ear fatigue.

And they are very comfortable.

I prefer them over the Sony MDR 7506 which I also have.

For silent Jamhub rehearsals with the band I need a headphone amp inbetween

Is the sound better with this headphone amp than without. I think yes but I'd like to have your opinion on this.
What headphone amp is it ?

I have the DT880 Pro's in 250 Ohm too. I agree, they're quite nice. Nicest I've ever owned. With Output 1 set at 12:00, my ears are starting to bleed.

Back
Top Bottom