Headphones question

Eliju

Experienced
Well my Sennheiser HD535s are at the end of their life. I must have blown out a diver at some point because I get a slight crackle sometimes on the right channel.

I've narrowed my search for new cans down to the AKG k702s and the Beyer DT880s. Anyone have any useful info I should be aware of before I make a choice? The Beyers are 250ohm, will they need a pre-amp? I'll only be using them at home. I also have a Matrix Q12 that I use on stage if anyone has any experience with how either of those cans translate to that monitor. I'm sure I will eventually learn the nuances of each, but the more similar to start, the better.

I have some DT880s that are 250 ohm. You don't need an amp for it. However, it won't get mind-numbingly loud unless you do.

I have some DT880s that are 250 ohm. You don't need an amp for it. However, it won't get mind-numbingly loud unless you do.
I don't need it to make my ears bleed, just be loud enough to dial stuff in properly. Would the 600ohm models need the pre-amp?

I use Sony MDR-7520's. They are excellent reference headphones. I use them to place sound in the stereo field and to fine tune mixes. I do not use a pre-amp. Just my $0.02.

Does Beyer no longer make 32Ω 880's? I got a pair a few years back and think they're the bomb.

Never mind. Found a set on Amazon (link).

Same for me.. I love these headphones and I've had several similarly priced sets over the years. Very comfortable and they sound great. I use them for around the house and to play late at night through the Axe FX (not a fan of using headphones to play guitar, but they work very well for this application for sure).

Back
Top Bottom