Headphones? If you have no choice but headphones...

FPFL

Experienced
Which I do when I practicing after 9 PM in my own house. Wife, daughter asleep.

I know all about -not- tweaking patches for headphones if you expect them to sound good in any other setting
but the Sony's I have from forever ago make the Axe sound so bad its borderline depressing.

I'm not Jay, but I'm guessing they've got the same "Dr. Dre" EQ curve most things have adding sizzle and boom, neither of which I want.

Any good flatter, no I'm not going to scope them, headphones in the 100-200 dollar range? I figure the Axe will sound more like itself this way.

-P

Give a look in the "Amps and cabs" forum, there are a lot of threads about headphones.

FPFL said:
Which I do when I practicing after 9 PM in my own house. Wife, daughter asleep.

I know all about -not- tweaking patches for headphones if you expect them to sound good in any other setting
but the Sony's I have from forever ago make the Axe sound so bad its borderline depressing.

I'm not Jay, but I'm guessing they've got the same "Dr. Dre" EQ curve most things have adding sizzle and boom, neither of which I want.

Any good flatter, no I'm not going to scope them, headphones in the 100-200 dollar range? I figure the Axe will sound more like itself this way.

-P

I use the Shure SE210's, love em.

Morphosis said:
AKG K271 (MKII) Studio headphones - love it, very accurate!
Just to offer a (perhaps) valuable comparison to higher priced cans, the K271's are well respected among the pro community and if you stumbled into a studio with them you wouldn't be told to take them back to your car. Closed back/high isolation, so are intended for tracking/monitoring in a high SPL environment. I have a set and for closed back they are (imo) superb, all-around usage phones.

Also have a set of AKG K702's. Open back/lousy isolation and intended for analytical/critical listening. Yeah - a bit more accurate than the 271's but certainly (imo) not worth 100 bucks more when used for evaluating guitar tracks and such in a home environment. The additional price you pay for accuracy may not offset the limitations open back cans impose upon general usage either.

Still use the classic Beyerdynamic DT100's as well, and in comparison to the either of the above these old things really suck.

yek said:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Yeks_How_Tos#How_to_use_it_with_headphones

Includes mr Fractal's own recommendations.
That was easy. :D

Clark Kent said:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22659

Here's a trick you can also consider... I'd probably do this trick even though I had more expensive headphones to get them really flat.
Clark...please google 'glutton for punishment'

Clark Kent said:
Clark...please google 'glutton for punishment'

:lol: I'm not sure if your intent was negative or positive but I agree. I'm a glutton for punishment. But! I'm also bad! I didn't make those IR requests people asked me to. That's really evil!

thanks for all the info!!!

if "leakage" isn't a concern do folks generally prefer open headphones to closed?

the point of this is to enjoy the axe at reasonable volumes, versus whisper settings on my QSC's (which they can do)

generally speaking, open headphones are more favorable than closed (as you say, if leakage is not an issue)

I been using some old AKG K141 Monitor headphones for 6 or 7 years. They sound pretty good and are nearly indestructable.

Morphosis said:

+1
Probably one of the best ones for the AXE.
I have many others, some in the $400-$500 range but
the K271 is my favorite.

;)

Jase2677 said:
yek said:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Yeks_How_Tos#How_to_use_it_with_headphones

Includes mr Fractal's own recommendations.
This makes it easier;
FractalAudio said:
Headphones vary so much it's ridiculous. I've tried about eight different ones and the best are the MDR-7506 and DT-770 Pro. The other ones were terrible.

In general I can't stand listening through phones though. I get ear fatigue really fast.

I have a pair of the DT-770 Pro and they are indeed the best I've heard too.

To make the sound less like headphones, I created a crossfeed using the delay block and it works surprisingly well IMHO. I tried using the enhancer block to create space while wearing cans but there were notes which would sum to mono and that was disconcerting.

Supposedly, you could create an IR of your head to simulate the way it introduces phase and time delays to create an even more real image of listening to speakers at a certain distance but that's beyond my skill set...what would be really cool is a dynamic program which could track head movement and modify the virtual listening space respectively.

Just ordered me some Beyer Dynamic DT 770 80ohm... I've been drooling over these headphones for yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssss... can't wait to get them in!

Morphosis said:

+1
Not sure they are the best with an Axe (but no headphones are great anyway), but you'll love them also for any other application.
:twisted:

Back
Top Bottom