Headphones Choice

deakle

Experienced
So I found a set of Blue Ella headphones brand new @ $399. I want a nice set for my Axe III MK II Turbo and the full res IR’s. I am torn between the Blue Ellas, a set of Blue Mix-Fi (the new Mo Fi’s), or a set of Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X open back headphones. So what’s everyone’s opinion of these 3?

I haven't used Blue Ella headphones before. Though I have used the 900s, quite similar to the R70x I use.

For casual playing I use ATH-R70x, they sound gorgeous but you can hear the strings acoustically (because it's open back), ATH-M50x are great too and you can't hear the acoustic string noise.

In terms of using headphones for playing live or in a jam session, Shure se425s do a pretty decent job especially with the comply foam tips.

I think you'll struggle to find anyone that has used all three of those together for a comparison.

I have the mix-fis and they are amazing, easily the best headphones I've owned. But, they are very heavy, not uncomfortably so, but just be aware.

I can't recommend the OLLO S4X enough. Super comfortable for hours, most neutral headphones I know, servicable parts...

i have the Shure 1540 closed cans and the Sennheiser HD 600 open Cans, like them both, the Sennheiser is more neutral to me. The Shure is a bit bass heavy but also nice.

Since you're looking in the under $500 range, here's my recommendations. I've tried all the common recommendations you'll see.

Ollo S4X are by far the best I've ever used in this price range for this purpose. Very flat frequency response, super fast transient response (even with kick and bass), amazing clarity in the lows, mids, and highs (i.e. for the first time I was able to hear the separation between bass guitar and synth bass in headphones), great soundstage / stereo separation, great support from Slovenia, serviceable parts, etc. They're also semi-open-back, meaning you won't hear as much of the acoustic string sound through the headphones as you will with the HD600 or other open back models. Also important to note is that they are 32ohm, meaning they can be easily powered to loud volumes from your phone/laptop/etc. AX3's headphone output is 35ohm which is higher than ideal for a 32ohm headphone but unless you're really into headphones and have other very expensive headphones and top tier headphone amps, you won't notice any downsides. I have an RNHP and it really is something special, but with these headphones the audible differences between RNHP and AX3's headphone amp are minuscule.

Second place is Sennheiser HD600 (not HD650 or HD6XX which have a more rolled off high end which can be less fatiguing for music listening but is not a good choice if your goal is accuracy). HD600 is a step down from the S4X in every area except weight, it's lighter and slightly more comfortable for long sessions. Although I still frequently wear the S4X for hours at a time without problems. It's also much higher impedance which makes it more "compatible" with AX3's headphone amp (again, not a big deal), but the sound from a phone or laptop headphone amp will suffer.

Everything else I've tried in this price range doesn't even come close to the HD600, let alone the S4X.

Last edited:
Bayerdynamic have got a really hyped treble response, not everyones cup of tea, certainly not mine...
Which ones are you talking about exactly? In my experience the DT770 pros are pretty bass heavy, not much hype in the treble. Seems to be the general consensus as well. I haven't tried any of their open-backed offerings though so I'm going to guess you're referring to one of those

Sennheiser HD650/6XX are my choice. They are reasonably flat out of the box with less hyped frequency response than my Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros.
+1, I can keep these on a long time without ear fatigue. My Blue's sound great also but I can only wear them for limited amounts of time...perhaps that's just me :)

If you're mixing on headphones you can't beat Slate VSX - I also was using mine to monitor guitar through my DAW by setting an AxeFx output to output 2 and monitoring through VSX before Full Res IR's came out with great results

Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro. I wont use anything else. they are amazing
Been thinking about trying these my HD6XX are nice but not sure if its going to be much better going to Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro's - you wouldn't happen to know the difference between these two headphones ? thanks

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I ordered a set of Blue Ella's. Found a tremendous deal on them at Sweetwater, $300 off!

Back
Top Bottom