Headphones Choice

Keep in mind Guys I think - an amp is being used or not being used

In my case 300ohm HD's I am using a powerful amplifier these lower ohm headphones mentioned will not require a headphone amp

I prefer headphone amp being used and open back headphones hence my question about buying Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro's - wondering if they are much different than Sensi HD,s

Well my HD280pro are 64 ohm, should not need an amp, and they sound hollow and weak. I get audible microphonic transfer if the cord rubs on my shoulder, and the circumaural cups sound like I have water on the ear when there's no sound going through them.

Headphones and earphones all seem to need some amount of compensation to improve their response.

I drop a PEQ or GEQ block into the grid just before the OUT 1 block, and set the compensation according to the measurements on https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results. Then I save the block to my library for later use. I have two different types of headphones and a set of Shure earphones with curves for each on different channels in the block, and the sound quality change with the EQ enabled is very nice.

I enable the block when editing the EQ of the preset with my headphones, and turn it off or remove it when I’m sending output to something else where I don’t need or care if it’s compensated or I’m happy with the sound.

Headphones and earphones all seem to need some amount of compensation to improve their response.

I drop a PEQ or GEQ block into the grid just before the OUT 1 block, and set the compensation according to the measurements on https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results. Then I save the block to my library for later use. I have two different types of headphones and a set of Shure earphones with curves for each on different channels in the block, and the sound quality change with the EQ enabled is very nice.

I enable the block when editing the EQ of the preset with my headphones, and turn it off or remove it when I’m sending output to something else where I don’t need or care if it’s compensated or I’m happy with the sound.
@deakle I recently went through the process of getting some new headphones. Ended up with a pair of AKG K612 and Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 Ohm) in addition to my Audio Technica M40x I have for a while now. All of them have pros/cons but I can't really stress how much my experience changed (for the better) after I came across calibration curves like the one posted above. You'll then have to decide based on factors such as soundstange etc.
Out of these 3 pairs of cans I now have, can't really decide which one I like best so I'll probably end up keeping all of them. The AKG seem to be the better value for money though while the Beyers (600 Ohm) have a slight edge on how the low-end responds and stereo field / wideness.

Thanks for the heads up, Just ordered a pair. What a great price! Doubt I'll like them better than my Audeze LCD's but who knows. They'll be great for the CD player anyway.
Got 'em. Has to be among the best hundred bucks I've spend. Compared to the LCD's it's like switching between two different cab IR's that you like about the same, The LCD's are more clear annd refined and the Blue's are more in your face. Only I paid 650 used for the LCD's.

I think hey are about as comfortable as their weight allows. My weigh next to nothing Bowers & Wilkens are my most comfortable phones, but they sound horrible plugged into the Fractal. One weird thing I noticed is when I used the Mix Fi's on my CD player the difference between the ON and OFF setting was huge. On the Fractal there was a much less increase in volume. Finally, if I had to choose between the Blue's and the Audeze I would go with the LCD's. They're more natural sounding to me, and at the cost they should be.

If you're mixing on headphones you can't beat Slate VSX - I also was using mine to monitor guitar through my DAW by setting an AxeFx output to output 2 and monitoring through VSX before Full Res IR's came out with great results
Can you give a detailed explanation of the settings ? I just got those headphones and I wanted to pass the Axe sound through them in real time, using a DI track. Thanks !

I haven't messed with the new DAW settings in 18.03. I have sent to output 2 in the preset grid on the unit to avoid direct monitoring on the output one. Then monitor that through the daw. So DAW track is then input 2 through the VST to output 1 and you should hear the VSX plugin processing the signal

I don't recommend Blue headphones just because they don't make replacement parts. Not even the earpads which should be considered as consumables for headphones. Not providing 5-10 bucks replacements parts for headphones that are in the 300-500 dollar range seems odd and not environment-friendly.

I had the OG Mo-Fi which got replaced with the Sadie under warranty because they didn't have replacement pads. They do sound good but there are more sustainable alternatives.

Right now I sport some HD600 which are much more comfortable for longer sessions but this depends also on your head shape, how much your sweat, how much you headbang while you play (in this matter the Sennheiser are much much better than the Blue), and so on.

Also consider that open back are not a good fit if you use the virtual capo or something else that electronically changes the pitch of the guitar strings.

Since you're looking in the under $500 range, here's my recommendations. I've tried all the common recommendations you'll see.

Ollo S4X are by far the best I've ever used in this price range for this purpose. Very flat frequency response, super fast transient response (even with kick and bass), amazing clarity in the lows, mids, and highs (i.e. for the first time I was able to hear the separation between bass guitar and synth bass in headphones), great soundstage / stereo separation, great support from Slovenia, serviceable parts, etc. They're also semi-open-back, meaning you won't hear as much of the acoustic string sound through the headphones as you will with the HD600 or other open back models. Also important to note is that they are 32ohm, meaning they can be easily powered to loud volumes from your phone/laptop/etc. AX3's headphone output is 35ohm which is higher than ideal for a 32ohm headphone but unless you're really into headphones and have other very expensive headphones and top tier headphone amps, you won't notice any downsides. I have an RNHP and it really is something special, but with these headphones the audible differences between RNHP and AX3's headphone amp are minuscule.

Second place is Sennheiser HD600 (not HD650 or HD6XX which have a more rolled off high end which can be less fatiguing for music listening but is not a good choice if your goal is accuracy). HD600 is a step down from the S4X in every area except weight, it's lighter and slightly more comfortable for long sessions. Although I still frequently wear the S4X for hours at a time without problems. It's also much higher impedance which makes it more "compatible" with AX3's headphone amp (again, not a big deal), but the sound from a phone or laptop headphone amp will suffer.

Everything else I've tried in this price range doesn't even come close to the HD600, let alone the S4X.
I ordered the Ollo S4X today and I will give them a try, thanks for recommending.
I will also receive my custom molded In Ear Monitor next year and I’m excited to try them out on stage.

Massive, massive thanks to @strabes and @tla for recommending the Ollo S4X.
My Headphones arrived this week and they are absolutely stunning, they give me a full new hearing experience.
Those are truly eye... ehm.. ear opener!
I used a lot of headphones over the past 25 years in a lot of studios etc. and I wish I had discovered them before.

What I also like is that you can order every single piece of the headphone as a spare part, awesome.
So for everyone that not has found the rigt headphone yet, you should really give them a try.

Cheers
Sash

Ok, I've just pulled the trigger on the Ollo S4X now because of what I have been hearing about them. You guys are such a bad influence on me!! :D

With the right EQ-correction-curve, I´m finally happy with my DT 880. In my opinion you don´t have to spent more money when you use the correction.

Totally agree, I applied a bit of EQ correction to my DT770 Pros and they sounded much better, but I think the game changer for me is going from closed back to open back headphones for mixes. I will continue to use the closed DT770s for recording, but for dialling sounds in I am hoping the more open Ollos will be easier on my ears.

After reading your comments, I think that I personally will opt for the Sennheiser HD600.
Will I need then a Headphone amp for the Axe III?
I like to play with loud volume.

Totally agree, I applied a bit of EQ correction to my DT770 Pros and they sounded much better, but I think the game changer for me is going from closed back to open back headphones for mixes. I will continue to use the closed DT770s for recording, but for dialling sounds in I am hoping the more open Ollos will be easier on my ears.

I'm just curious, what did you exactly do EQ wise? If you don't mind to share. Thanks.

Will I need then a Headphone amp for the Axe III?
I like to play with loud volume.
No. It can drive headphones quite loud. I have a pair that are 250 ohm and can get them loud enough that I have to be careful switching sound sources that are feeding through the FX3, like switching to YouTube to listen to something where the volume often is on full.

Back
Top Bottom