Headphones and Axe Need Help!

LVC

Fractal Fanatic
I tried to use the Axe with headphones and it sounded beyond crap.

I have searched and searched and based on my reading I purchased a Mackie 402.

I have connected the Axe output 1 (left) into channel one of the mackie ----

Everything at noon (on Mackie) -- and it still sounds like crap (very metallic and thin) -- even though I was able to boost the signal and I can hear it through the headphones.

On output two I have Axe going to a small monitor (JBL EON 10) --- patch sounds great through it (nice simple Black face clean patch)

Headphones I am using are AKG k240 Studio

What am I doing wrong?

It's possible that you're only getting the left output of a stereo signal. If it's set to Stereo, that may be the problem. You can check by going to the I/O Menu (press I/O) and Page over to the Audio Tab. See what your output modes are set at. You probably want L+R Sum on Output 1 to get a full signal in the Left output.

Shaloha said:
It's possible that you're only getting the left output of a stereo signal. If it's set to Stereo, that may be the problem. You can check by going to the I/O Menu (press I/O) and Page over to the Audio Tab. See what your output modes are set at. You probably want L+R Sum on Output 1 to get a full signal in the Left output.

that is the way i have it set up

-- sounds great through monitor -- like absolute junk through headphones .... any help would really be appreciated it --

I know I must be doing something terribly wrong because I cannot believe what I am hearing is an acceptable standard for these devices.

You didn't provide a lot of details... it's difficult to assess blindly. In your patch, do you have an Effects Loop block? Because if you do, your Output 2 is NOT the same as your Output 1. How is your patch set up? Do you have a cab model in the signal chain? What is your input level set to on the Axe-FX front panel? What do you set your Output 1 level to to feed the Mackie? The Axe-Fx puts out a VERY strong level, and can NOT be fed to a mixer or a board that expects microphone levels (i.e. into a mic pre)... it would seriously clip the mixer's input, and sound like total crap. If your Mackie's input *is* a mic pre, you'll need to pad the signal down (there may be a pad funtion on your mixer) or set the Output 1 level to the absolute minimum.

You need to provide more info so that people on the forum can try to help.

Daniel

Dpoirier said:
You didn't provide a lot of details... it's difficult to assess blindly. In your patch, do you have an Effects Loop block? Because if you do, your Output 2 is NOT the same as your Output 1. How is your patch set up? Do you have a cab model in the signal chain? What is your input level set to on the Axe-FX front panel? What do you set your Output 1 level to to feed the Mackie? The Axe-Fx puts out a VERY strong level, and can NOT be fed to a mixer or a board that expects microphone levels (i.e. into a mic pre)... it would seriously clip the mixer's input, and sound like total crap. If your Mackie's input *is* a mic pre, you'll need to pad the signal down (there may be a pad funtion on your mixer) or set the Output 1 level to the absolute minimum.

Daniel
1) patch is basic Blackface Blues patch (it is attached)
2) Cab - yes Black 4x1O Bass
3) Level -- had them all over the place from zero - ?

Attachments

• Blackface Blues.syx.zip
    517 bytes · Views: 7
LVC said:
Dpoirier said:

Daniel
Ok I tried to load that patch into my Ultra but it doesn't want to go... are you in a previous firmware release (i.e. not 8.09)? There appear to be some patch incompatibilities between patches from some previous releases and the latest.

Not having tried the patch, there are still some pieces of info that could help. Does your Mackie's input expect mic-level or line-level signals? Do you have global cabs on (global menu, Config tab, Cabinet set to Active, not Bypassed)? Is your Input1 knob turned up until the Left level LEDs light up yellow (and occasionally tickle the red, but no more than that)?

The horrendous sound you describe could be caused by either (1) clipping the mixer's input, or (2) using a distorted amp model with no cabinet block (or with the cab models bypassed either globally or in the patch itself).

Like I said, I can't check that patch, so I'm half-guessing...
Daniel

Dpoirier said:
LVC said:
Dpoirier said:

Daniel
Ok I tried to load that patch into my Ultra but it doesn't want to go... are you in a previous firmware release (i.e. not 8.09)? There appear to be some patch incompatibilities between patches from some previous releases and the latest.

Not having tried the patch, there are still some pieces of info that could help. Does your Mackie's input expect mic-level or line-level signals? Do you have global cabs on (global menu, Config tab, Cabinet set to Active, not Bypassed)? Is your Input1 knob turned up until the Left level LEDs light up yellow (and occasionally tickle the red, but no more than that)?

The horrendous sound you describe could be caused by either (1) clipping the mixer's input, or (2) using a distorted amp model with no cabinet block (or with the cab models bypassed either globally or in the patch itself).

Like I said, I can't check that patch, so I'm half-guessing...
Daniel

I have 8.09 -- received the Axe- Last week. I exported the patch using the editor (I am on a mac) any other way I can export it?

PS -- thanks for you help ... I am really struggling with this thing --- sounds great -- but man ... I have spent all weekend messing around with it instead of playing music.

some trouble shooting tips:

-check the mixer's output with a different set of headphones
-check the output with a different source, e.g., ipod, cd player
-check you monitor's curve settings, if they are not set flat, then your patch is not optimized for a flat response
-check your mixer's curve settings, low pass filter activated?

some trouble shooting tips:

-check the mixer's output with a different set of headphones

Already did that -- same result -- brand new Mackie 402 (itunes from Mac sound great through mixer/headphones)

-check the output with a different source, e.g., ipod, cd player

sounds great with itunes --

-check you monitor's curve settings, if they are not set flat, then your patch is not optimized for a flat response
Not sure what you mean .

-check your mixer's curve settings, low pass filter activated?
Not sure what this means either

Here are some images -- maybe this will help

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

amp.jpg

cab.jpg

eq.jpg

output.jpg

As for the EQ curves, I looked up the manual for the JBL EON 10 and it doesn't have adjustable response curves so never mind.

What do you have plugged into LINE IN on the mackie?

Also, you don't need the mic preamp nor the EQ of the mackie's channel 1 for the AXE-FX output. I suggest using the mackie's channel 3/4 as the input for the AXE-FX output.

I wanted to add that I have to modify patches that are to be used with headphone monitoring because it's necessary; there is a significant difference in sound reproduction between speakers and headphones.

Nothing that I would describe as "beyond crap," but there is an unmistakable difference.

goodwill559 said:
As for the EQ curves, I looked up the manual for the JBL EON 10 and it doesn't have adjustable response curves so never mind.

What do you have plugged into LINE IN on the mackie?

Also, you don't need the mic preamp nor the EQ of the mackie's channel 1 for the AXE-FX output. I suggest using the mackie's channel 3/4 as the input for the AXE-FX output.

I have Axe - Output 1 >Mackie Line 1 (will change to Mackie 3/4)

itunes/MAC -firewire > M-audio 1814 (output 3/4) > Mackie Tape in

I would set the Axe, Mackie and phones up for stereo first. Not familiar with your Mackie but if the channels are mono then Axe L to Ch. 1 and Axe R to Ch. 2 and pan hard left and right or if it's a dual channel then pan center and set the pad at -10. This would provide a reference. With all things defaulted there is no reason for this rig to not be stellar thru a Mackie w/phones.

Then work your way to mono and monitoring. Might be easier to troubleshoot.

I use a Mackie 1402 and Sennheiser HD650 and it's thick and juicy.

I'm just about out of ideas.

But here is one more consideration-the placement of your monitor.

If it is near a wall, you will get a boost in the lower frequency range which means your patches are not optimized for flat response and the result is a thinner or buzzier sound compared to a truly flat response environment.

Have you tried making adjustments to the patch while monitoring through the headphones? There is ample programming flexibility within the Axe-Fx to get a sound you like in almost any environment.

Try feeding your JBL monitor with the main output from the Mackie, the same Mackie that you're using to monitor with headphones (instead of feeding the JBL with the other AXE output).

That way you're feeding both the headphones and the monitor with the same signal. If the signal is being corrupted by the mixer you should hear it in the monitor as well as the headphones.

If the monitor still sounds good but the headphones don't, best of luck to you.

Stephen Cole

sampleaccurate said:
Try feeding your JBL monitor with the main output from the Mackie, the same Mackie that you're using to monitor with headphones (instead of feeding the JBL with the other AXE output).

That way you're feeding both the headphones and the monitor with the same signal. If the signal is being corrupted by the mixer you should hear it in the monitor as well as the headphones.

Stephen Cole
That's a great idea. And to further add to this, if the monitor still sounds good but the headphones don't, then it's either the Mackie's headphone preamp circuit, or the headphones themselves, no?

Dpoirier said:
sampleaccurate said:

Stephen Cole
That's a great idea. And to further add to this, if the monitor still sounds good but the headphones don't, then it's either the Mackie's headphone preamp circuit, or the headphones themselves, no?

I agree.

I have a Mackie 802. Plug the Axe output 1 L&R into line in 3/4. Turn your main mix down.

Dpoirier said:
sampleaccurate said:
...... if the monitor still sounds good but the headphones don't, then it's either the Mackie's headphone preamp circuit, or the headphones themselves, no?

so what is the best solution?

I can return the Mackie 402.

My needs are very simple

1) clear/clean and strong output from the AXE that I can listen to through my headphones comfortably (I want to be able to hear it at a reasonable audio level without having to dime the input and output dials on the Axe. additionally, I want to be able to increase vol as needed on Axe)

2) ability to mix with another audio source (i.e. itunes) for headphones only listening/playing

That is it --- nothing more.

tell me what I need and I will go buy it (within reason of course)

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with the Mackie unless you got a 'bad' one. I have a 1402 VLZ and a 1202 VLZ and they both are superb with the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom