Headphone sound vs speaker/cab sound?

Nsurround

Inspired
I own an FM3 and really enjoy the audio/sound from a good pair of headphones connected to that unit. However on trying multiple setups using active speakers and or speaker cabs find that the sound is dynamically not in the same ball park. I have tried active Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors, Tannoy 5s, hi-fi speakers, various guitar cabs with IR removed in preset and an acoustic amp. All in various rooms. Have listened both very close to the speaker(s) and more in the room location(s). None of these produced really what I hear in the headphones. That is, more of a dynamic tightness with some snap to it in the mids and higher ranges. That quality just does not seem to get produced by room speakers/cabs etc. I believe I have heard others say something similar. Given that the transducers in headphones are small vs larger transducers/speakers in room monitors and the like the physics of production maybe be the reason for this but not sure. I have tried to take out the room sound out of the difference as much as possible. I have tried various eq methods but really does not get much closer. It is more of a dynamic difference than anything else. Not sure there is an answer to this but would still like to get closer to the headphone sound using actual room speakers/cabs etc. Any thoughts?

Think it’s the room and distance that does it. I don’t have any treatment on my room but it’s a big high ceiling. Sound whizzing around everywhere. I play phones more than speakers out of necessity. The drivers are very close to your ears. It seems very immediate and clear. I’ll work on my presets and then finish them on the speakers. 85db or better. Volume will get you closer. It sounds like you tried it all, but hopefully you can find what you’re looking for. I’m not sure it’s possible to make speakers sound exactly like phones.

I did a little experiment. I positioned my monitors so Ihey were about 4-6" away fom each ear and turned up the volume to equal what I hear through my headphones. The monitors sounded better.

I did a little experiment. I positioned my monitors so Ihey were about 4-6" away fom each ear and turned up the volume to equal what I hear through my headphones. The monitors sounded better.
Well that is interesting but not very practical. Obviously what ever room or environment you are listening and your listening location will make a difference in the overall sound. Headphones remove most of that. Room equalization and or delay compensation may help to some degree but that is not going to make much of a difference to the dynamics. I am beginning to think it has a lot to do with the responsiveness of headphone transducers vs larger room speakers especially at lower listening levels. I think you are right about the volume having something to do with it, as the more energy you pump into a larger speaker the more transient responsive it might be. There is always talk of the difference in lower volume (bedroom volume) vs high volume in guitar amps and such. Still would like to get closer to the headphone sound without blasting my ears to death.

There are a lot of things that go into this...part of me wants to say that some of it might have to do with the specific speakers/amps you're using...but if it's also happening with guitar cabs and a clean power amp....

That leads me to believe that there's something weird about your room. What does recorded music sound like when you use the speakers in the room? Does that have similar problems?

There are a lot of things that go into this...part of me wants to say that some of it might have to do with the specific speakers/amps you're using...but if it's also happening with guitar cabs and a clean power amp....

That leads me to believe that there's something weird about your room. What does recorded music sound like when you use the speakers in the room? Does that have similar problems?
Well the room obviously has its effect but even up close listening, not getting the same vibe in articulation etc. My next go around is a Stagecraft Black Jack Studio 1x12 cab with a Flex back (open/close) paired with a celestion f12-x200. Will test with various power amps incl a Bryston to see how that goes. Its possible that I will not get the headphone sound completely but still want better articulation and transient response at lower levels (70-80db).

I’m running a power amp and F12 in a ported cab. Not the same as phones. I like it better than phones provided I can turn it up to a decent level. Decent meaning not ringing ears but enough to feel it.

Well the room obviously has its effect but even up close listening, not getting the same vibe in articulation etc. My next go around is a Stagecraft Black Jack Studio 1x12 cab with a Flex back (open/close) paired with a celestion f12-x200. Will test with various power amps incl a Bryston to see how that goes. Its possible that I will not get the headphone sound completely but still want better articulation and transient response at lower levels (70-80db).
So...does that mean that you're not getting the same articulation on speakers (with recorded music) as you are on headphones?

It could be that you strongly prefer (or are used to) a binaural presentation rather than a stereo one. If you're using any stereo effects in your fractal and dialed it in with headphones, that'll also end up affecting transients (among other things) when you switch to speakers.

I’m running a power amp and F12 in a ported cab. Not the same as phones. I like it better than phones provided I can turn it up to a decent level. Decent meaning not ringing ears but enough to feel it.
I looked into a ported cab with F12 specs and seems like a road to take but decided to go for a fairly large volume cab that could be resold as a regular guitar cab if it does not work out. Will try and post my results when it all comes together.

Back
Top Bottom