Headphone recommendation ( Really need one)

jin1995x

Inspired
I am aware this is the most despised kind of thread, however i am unable to make a choice currently. Would appreciate some help .

I use axe fx 3 in my bed room without any treatment, and the mids and lows are all over the place, making it difficult for me to accurately mix through my monitors as well as create presets through my axe 3, yet to get a proper table / stand for monitors as well.

I play mostly extended range( drop A to double drop d) metal stuff.

I need some help to decide on which one should I go for
1) Closed back or open back
2) What impedance( to be used with axe for making presets and during recording, also to be used with pc)
3) Any specific recommendation ( budget 200-250$ tops)

So far i am looking at beyerdynamic 770pro (closed) and 990 (open back)

What about iem's , im not going to be on stage any soon. but if there some which can help for the above please recommend.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes time out to reply to me.

Last edited:
I am a long-time fan of Grado headphones. Wonderful sound, very comfortable for extended wear … they’re all open-backed, so if you need silence for mic recording or those around you, they’re not the best choice … but that’s not an issue with me.

The Grado SR225x comes in at – you guessed it - $225. There are many models available for less or more.

If you’re interested at all, I’d suggest visiting their site, and searching for reviews. I’ve been using one pair of SR325 for a couple of decades … every few years I replace the ear cushions, and they’re good as new. I also have a pair of their high-end Reference Series wooden cup models with the huge ear pads that hold the drivers away from your ears … they’re glorious.

There’s a Grado for every price point; I recommend them to anyone who asks about headphones. Love ’em.

Other than listening, what else would you possibly be doing with headphones?
Playing…

I don’t enjoy HP playing however. I use monitors and cabs 98% of the time.

But, I did find that the blu MoFi worked quite well (after trying the standard/usual recommendations … went through 4-5 pairs), although heavy.

I use axe fx 3 in my bed room without any treatment, and the mids and lows are all over the place, making it difficult for me to accurately mix through my monitors as well as create presets through my axe 3, yet to get a proper table / stand for monitors as well.
If your main use cases are creating presets and mixing, then you want headphones that are as neutral as possible. In my experience, the most neutral bang for the buck headphones I've found are the Sennheiser HD600's. I have both, the HD600's and HD650's, and the 600's are the more neutral of the two.

I use the Sennheiser HD600's as well and really enjoy listening through them. If you wish to go down another rabbit hole, do a search on this forum for "headphone correction EQ curve" to further flatten the EQ curve.

Sennheiser HD280 Pro's are my standard studio headphones. Closed back, for use when tracking, especially on vocals. They also keep things quieter when I need to let loose in the wee hours. And they are $80 thru end of May at a couple major online retailers. '

If you're mixing +1 on the Sennheiser HD600's

If I had a need for wireless but wanted wired input too I'd look the the Hifimann Deva's

Some people here commented that 250 Ohm HP's were too high for the Axe, but that's simply not the case. I landed on Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250 Ohm, and use a headphone EQ correction curve, and while there may certainly be better choices for neutrality, I'm happy with them, and the Axe drives them fine.

Back
Top Bottom