Headphone Presets

nandro48

I play mostly metal and enjoy the sound that comes out of my HS8's. I can't seem to dial in a similar tone on my DT 1990's. I've played around with Proximity, Spacing, Gain Enhancer in Amp Block, Output EQ, etc. I can't seem to get that gratifying sustain and chug when I try to convert my HS8 presets to a headphone preset. I've messed around with the AutoEQ stuff but didn't care for it. I also notice a drastic difference in default volumes between amps / cabs. This is a side note but figured I would mention here too. Thanks in advance for your help!

The spacial proximity, and stereo spectrum, between monitors (facing you) and headphones (directly into ears) is night and day. I don't have a solution to offer other than realize you are in two different worlds so 'converting' a preset might not be as effective as 'creating' one for your headphones.

I’m not sure if this is the same issue as you, but I find metal tones through headphones can be very sterile and cold, which grates on the ears after awhile. I use an amp in the room reverb preset to warm it up a bit. This is not a full solution as it gets you farther away from what they should be in the mix, but I figured it is worth a try.

I’m not at my FM3 right now, but the AITR verb preset was posted on the FullRes thread a few weeks ago.

Edit: here's my AITR reverb block

Attachments

• AITR Verb_20211003_115748.blk
    702 bytes · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have two very different cab blocks. One has been created especially for Bowers & Wilkins P7 headphones and the other one especially for Focal Alpha 80’s monitors.
My preset banks are organised accordingly.

If you haven't tried it yet you might want to consider adjusting the EQ to match your specific model of headphones. Since I haven't hit the required number of postings yet I can't add the URL so just Google "jaako headphone eq"

I have always preferred the sound of my headphones to any speakers. My headphones always sound phenomenal and my monitors or any other speaker never sound as good. I play 80's hard rock and hair metal. I guess I have the opposite experience.

My patches never sound good thru headphones but I figure this makes sense since it's a close mic'd tone so listeing thru headphones is like having my ear pressed up against a guitar cab's grill cloth. Adding room reverb when playing thru headphones helps by creating some perceived distance between ears and guitar sound. Room reverb can be accessed either from the Cab's room parameter, reverb block, or mixing in fullrez room IRs

Sonarworks makes a plugin that you can use for both manual capture with any monitors to make the room flat and tons of presets to use with headphones. I am currently using Senheiser HD600's and Beyerdynamics 990 DT Pro 250's and it works great along with my Dynaudio DM5 monitors.

To profile monitors you need an omnidirectional microphone. I am very impressed with the headphone profiles and the monitor profile.

Sonarworks makes a plugin that you can use for both manual capture with any monitors to make the room flat and tons of presets to use with headphones. I am currently using Senheiser HD600's and Beyerdynamics 990 DT Pro 250's and it works great along with my Dynaudio DM5 monitors.

To profile monitors you need an omnidirectional microphone. I am very impressed with the headphone profiles and the monitor profile.
Forgot I bought this not cheap but very good - subtle but does make a difference - thanks for post

I updated my post with my AITR reverb block if it helps.

Also consider trying out different cabs. They have a huge effect on the sound, and headphones make them more obvious. I'm currently using York Audio Mesa 412 OS 57m-1 + 121-1 with the Petrucci Rig with everything bypassed + my reverb block and it is great.

Last edited:
I play mostly metal and enjoy the sound that comes out of my HS8's. I can't seem to dial in a similar tone on my DT 1990's. I've played around with Proximity, Spacing, Gain Enhancer in Amp Block, Output EQ, etc. I can't seem to get that gratifying sustain and chug when I try to convert my HS8 presets to a headphone preset. I've messed around with the AutoEQ stuff but didn't care for it. I also notice a drastic difference in default volumes between amps / cabs. This is a side note but figured I would mention here too. Thanks in advance for your help!
Here you go....try this patch through your headphones. It't bundled with the cabs. Hope you like.

Attachments

• ArchonAtomica.zip
    15.9 KB · Views: 27
I dont understand this at all, I play metal and The Adam x7's sound great just like the HD650 Sennheisers do, Ive changed nothing.

I sent back my DT 1990's as soon as I could, not for me at all. The Focal Celestees sound even better; Trade out those DT's

I dont understand this at all, I play metal and The Adam x7's sound great just like the HD650 Sennheisers do, Ive changed nothing.

I sent back my DT 1990's as soon as I could, not for me at all. The Focal Celestees sound even better; Trade out those DT's
Ok and do you listen at high volumes? I play louder than I probably should through monitors and headphones.

Couple questions:
  • Does the Axe drive the 300ohms sufficiently?
  • What is the difference between the 650 and 600s?
Anyone else have the same experience as @Jumpback? I trust your judgment but want to be sure before I spend another $350 on headphones.

Yes but it's giving me a file called "ArchonAtomica.fasBundle". What type of file(s) are you seeing within the zip on your side?
In Axe Edit, go to an empty preset, click on the preset menu and choose import, select the bundle and follow the onscreen prompts.

Yes, clicked Preset > Import Preset, but the downloaded file is greyed out. I tried both the unzipped file (what I would expect) and also the zip file (just in case). Both are greyed out. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom