Headphone Ohm rating

Karinger

I may have overlooked this spec somewhere, but what is the best rating for headphones to use with the Axe-FX III?

I see Beyer has some that are 250 Ohms...

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M30x headphones, and they are too bright with the AXE-FX III. 47 ohms. I either need to find something else or try running it thru a different interface that is kinder to the A-Ts.

For headphones, I personally find that a lower ohm rating is better if you want it to feel more like an aml in your headphones. The signal seems to pass through easier with less resistance from your Axe-Fx. Mr Dr 880s are 32 ohm and loud enough. I have Blue Lolas too.

I am using beyer 990s with 250 ohms. Since I have not found any other to compare I can not say which is better. But 250 ohms are being driven quite well without any problem.

I find headphones for some reason seem to make my tone sound digital. Through my monitors/cabs etc it sounds awesome but headphones or mine for that matter are really crappy sounding.

I find headphones for some reason seem to make my tone sound digital. Through my monitors/cabs etc it sounds awesome but headphones or mine for that matter are really crappy sounding.

I don't know how "digital" sounds like. But if you are so demanding, perhaps that happens because you haven't tried the Audeze LCD-2 ;)

Even the Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x sound colored when compared side by side

Audeze-LCD-2-Vs-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x.jpg

Last edited:
No way will I try a pair of $980 headphones - WAY out of my budget! I can reasonably shoot for something in the $200 neighborhood. It’s strange tho, my ATH-M30x headphones sound fine with a Hotone Ampero.

Here the same, i have Senheiser HD 600 headphones and compared to my clr's it is very digital.

For me, frequency response trumped other specs. I splurged on a pair of ATH-R70x and love them!

Sent them of to Sonarworks to be profiled. Said profile paired with the Sonarworks software during tracking and mixing has been really great. My mixes have improved significantly since. The software with profile seem to tame a bass and high freq bump cause by my particular pair.

the bonus is I can wear the R70x’s all day and be comfortable. Not so much with the M30’s.

here’s a song I just tracked and mixed using Axe 3 as interface and the above set up for monitoring. I have little ones so, I don’t even own a set of monitors any more, lol!

Song: Ashley By: JPetty

Last edited:
For me, frequency response trumped other specs. I splurged on a pair of ATH-R70x and love them!

Sent them of to Sonarworks to be profiled. Said profile paired with the Sonarworks software during tracking and mixing has been really great. My mixes have improved significantly since. The software with profile seem to tame a bass and high freq bump cause by my particular pair.

the bonus is I can wear the R70x’s all day and be comfortable. Not so much with the M30’s.
How do the R70xs sound when plugged into the AF3 directly?

Sorry I should clarify. It adds this fizz to the sound. I should buy better headphones
Headphones won't add fizz to the sound unless they're being overdriven hard enough that they're distorting. What 'phones are you using?

If you use headphones often I would recommend getting a Neve RNHP headphone amp for the AxeFx III. They'll make a cheaper pair of cans sound like a much higher quality pair. To me the amp is more important than the headphones themselves.

I've found the Focal Listen Professional headphones are great with the standard AxeFx III headphone output too.

My Beyer DT1990 pair absolutely needs an amp to get their full potential. I couldn't tell they weren't at their full potential until I put them through the amp. After that they opened up and become "3D/Buzzword." They are 250ohm but I wouldn't trust the ohm rating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom