Headphone/monitors for rich sound

Hi all, folks with better ears and/or more experience.
I’m using the FX 3 with Audio-Technica ATH-M20 headhones and JBL LSR 305 studio monitors.
My sound is never really rich or close to my real amps. It’s kinda dead. Good, but something is missing. OFC as bedroom player, I cannot really use my Morgan or Fuchs at home :(
When I was at a friends, he had Adam monitors (and Line 6) which sounded alive.
I heard many good things about Adam, I might give them a try (please let me know your experiences if you have!).
But I’m not sure what headhone I should try.
I’m not using it for studio work, only for practicing/noodling at home so maybe I shouldn’t look for something flat response, but something else.

It might sound lame, but maybe some of you still have suggestions?

Laszlo

Ask your friend if you can borrow his monitors...or take your AXE over there.
My FX 3 sounds fantastic via studio monitors...so should yours...I have 8"woofers.

Ask your friend if you can borrow his monitors...or take your AXE over there.
My FX 3 sounds fantastic via studio monitors...so should yours...I have 8"woofers.
Thanks, good idea . I would, but he lives 1500 kms from me 😀.
I know it should sound great. It kinda is, but I’m missing something. I wish I could speak in frequencies!

(I'm assuming you're comparing your real amp through a cab to a mic'd up cab guitar tone coming through your monitors which isn't a fair comparison)

I've got the same speakers as you and they sound great

few things to try to improve

room acoustics
higher volume level
proper speaker placement and alignment
room eq correction
these should help make it your speakers sound optimal

(I'm assuming you're comparing your real amp through a cab to a mic'd up cab guitar tone coming through your monitors which isn't a fair comparison)

I've got the same speakers as you and they sound great

few things to try to improve

room acoustics
higher volume level
proper speaker placement and alignment
room eq correction
these should help make it your speakers sound optimal
It’s not really about comparing. I’m trying to find a more pleasing experience, especially via headphones. Thinking about trying openbacks or something that has more bass/middle than mine. But not really shure what I shoulg go for.

It’s not really about comparing. I’m trying to find a more pleasing experience, especially via headphones. Thinking about trying openbacks or something that has more bass/middle than mine. But not really shure what I shoulg go for.
A good pair of openbacks will help in that regard; maybe start from here https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/gear-reviews, look to see if you can grab one of the pairs with a higher default rating (they're pretty close in how they're rated) and also explore doing some sort of corrective EQ https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq. A good quality pair of headphones will give you good dynamics / transients and soundstage while the corrective EQ will help you dial in tones that translate well to other systems.

A good pair of openbacks will help in that regard; maybe start from here https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/gear-reviews, look to see if you can grab one of the pairs with a higher default rating (they're pretty close in how they're rated) and also explore doing some sort of corrective EQ https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq. A good quality pair of headphones will give you good dynamics / transients and soundstage while the corrective EQ will help you dial in tones that translate well to other systems.
Wow, this Github repo is a treasure mine! I’ll test the recommended eq for my current headphones.
I’m checking the link, too🤘

Watch this video with the sound going thru your monitors.
Does it sound good? If it does there is nothing wrong with your monitors.
My AXE FX 3 sounds exactly like that thru my monitors using the Dirty Shirley amp and yours should too.

My advise for listening through phones is turning down the High Cut in the Cab block. Start all the way down and work up till it sounds best to you.

electronic music edm GIF by Tiësto

More pyro … bigger drivers …

Party Dj GIF by SonnenBrand Festival

FutureSonics MG5HX IEMs for me. Awesome sound, and they never fall off (out). No “corrective” EQ required.

I use Yamaha HS8's...and when I travel I use the JBL 305. I've taken my HS8 pair off the stands and replaced them with the JBL 305's to test, and there's very little difference between the two. They sound pretty darn close. not sure why you're having such bad luck with studio monitors but I've been using studio monitors for years with my FX3's, and they sound incredible

I like the Adams, and have the A7X. If you can, spring for the 8". You know you like them already so it's a no-brainer IMO.

Back
Top Bottom