Headphone Listening Comparison - Audeze, Sony, Blue, Oppo

Here are my thoughts on some popular $500-$1,000 headphones.

I first purchased a pair of Sony MDR V6 to play late at night with my AX8 and Digitech Jamman Stereo about 1 year ago. Upgrading to these Sony studio headphones from Apple earbuds was a true audio revelation to me. So now I thought if I increased my headphone budget by 10x I could experience another 'wow' moment. This was not the case. After sampling a number of more expensive headphones recently, I did not discover any truly breathtaking, amazing upgrade. Of course, listening to many nice headphones every day for two weeks has spoiled me to the point I can never go back, but what I want to communicate is that Sony MDRV6 hold their own with much more expensive headphones. The major difference between the Sony MDR-V6 and the more expensive models was really the high end. When I listen to the V6 now, they sound shrill and narrow with piercing highs. The Audeze EL-8 also suffer from uncomfortable highs at times, in my opinion. But everyone's ears are different and the forward highs on these pairs could be interpreted as 'clarity' or 'definition.' I was used to the crisp highs from the V6 and that was the reason I could not love the Blue Ella. The Blue headphones seemed like the treble frequencies had been rolled off in a strange way. Really digging into the strings playing some bluesy jazz runs on the neck pickup of a Strat was not as satisfying on the Ella headphones whether or not its built-in amp was on. On the other headphones you could really hear the detail of picking heavily and other little things like hearing a string grind on the fret when you're vibrato-ing a note to keep it alive after it's died out.

In the end, I chose to buy the Sony MDR Z7. The power chords were too epic. Yes I wish I had a bit more clarity and definition when using the clean, Super Reverb type tones, but these were the pair that consistently made me smile and nod my head while listening to both the AX8 and MP3s. You could use these headphones for mixing, they are very detailed, but just be aware that the bass frequencies will be exaggerated. The Z7 typically retail for $700 but it isn't too hard to find them for around $500 new, online.

Listening Notes

Blue Ella - Super detailed, super defined. You will hear parts of songs you never have before and each individual layer of a song is more pronounced. Instruments will sound like they are being played live. But despite the fact you can hear every detail of the music, the high end seems rolled off somehow. Clean sounds from the AX8 can sound a bit dull because of this effect. They are bulky, and felt heavy on my head. I wore these to my office job and got a lot of unwanted attention. There is an amp/bass booster switch that works pretty well, but it introduces a boominess to many MP3s.

Sony MDR Z7 - more full, lush sound than the other headphones which often sounded 'clinical'. drop tuned power chords are epic. Fuller, better more musical sounding bass compared to the planar magnetic headphones. boomy sounding at times. Tied for most comfortable with EL-8.

Audeze EL8 - (closed back) extremely detailed. hard to say if more definition than blue ella. More bass than Sine. Bright, sometimes harsh. Audio sounds further away than on the Z7. The high end exhibits the exact opposite problem of Blue Ella, some of its highs can be sharp and piercing. With most songs/AX8 patches I would call these headphones 'articulate' but occasionally the highs were too forward and sharp for me.

Oppo PM3 - very crisp, well separated layers. Highs can sound shrill. These are another pair where you really hear music differently. Using a saw synth patch I really heard its buzzy texture and clarity which I was totally missing with the MDR v6. 'Congested' sounding at times. 3rd best bass after #1 Z7 and #2 Blue. Bass seems a hair more powerful than EL8 but very similar.

Audeze Sine- almost as detailed as the Blue Ella. very defined bass but more "shallow" overall sound due to a weaker bass that hangs a bit in the background. Power chords aren't super epic sounding, but Super Reverb type tones are epic with so much detail. These are the #2 least 'clinical' sounding and pleasantly musical sounding after Sony z7. The volume on these was super quiet coming out of my JamMan Stereo (50 ohm, 87.5mw per channel) which was a bummer. It was designed for use with smartphones so sounds great on my iPhone SE though. If my late night jam rig could deliver sufficient volume to these I might've gone with them and saved some money over the Sony Z7 instead. Depends what kind of bass you like. Bass sounds on the Sine are defined yet subtle. Bass on the Z7 is in your face and rich. The headphone pads of the Sine press directly on your ears, not surrounding them, so these are the least comfortable pair.

So no single headphone will be perfect for everything, even if your budget is $500-$1,000. The Ella was incredibly detailed, but the treble sounded rolled off to me. Oppo was usually incredibly clear and musical, but sometimes sounded "congested" and made distortion patches sound too buzzy. The Z7 has amazing bass, but that sounded boomy on many songs. Audeze Sine sounded amazing but were uncomfortable and could not achieve sufficient volume using my looper pedal. An audio salesman told me his wealthy customers use different headphones for different musical genres. I would have said that was totally outrageous until I performed this test.

So- my theory is- headphones serve one purpose- for monitoring during tracking when 1- you want to lock in tight or 2- don't want speakers to bleed through...

So- instead of spending $500-1000 on headphones- i've spent thousands on monitors and go with what's comfortable

I've found the BOSE AE2's to be the most comfortable in the world...

I had some decent sennheisers and AKG's but i sold those with the plans of getting BLUE headphones- I did a lot of homework on Blues and decided one the SADIE's

HOWEVER- I really want a pair of Sony MDR7506
I've never come across one used- which must be for a reason- they're good

Between the 7506's and the sony model you mentioned using for a while- a lot of people in the studio and in radio use them- they're cheap- but I've seen people with NO BUDGET would spend anything on anything they wanted or needed- choose the 7506's in the studio- so- i'll probably end up buying a few new and trying those out before the SADIE's

I have a home studio- it's not for rent- just for myself but i work with a lot of people from time to time- so i can't just have one pair- I need 3-5 of headphones so I think the 7506's and one or two Sadie's will be good

I can't fathom spending $500-1000 on something you shouldn't use for reference monitoring- a car is a better studio monitor than headphones

I did compare in person the Ella to the Sadie and preferred the Sadie much more

HOWEVER- I really want a pair of Sony MDR7506
I've never come across one used- which must be for a reason- they're good

I owned the Sony MDR7506 but they weren't even close to matching the quality of Blue Mo-Fi or Sennheiser DT-880.

I owned the Sony MDR7506 but they weren't even close to matching the quality of Blue Mo-Fi or Sennheiser DT-880.

+2. Mofi's are the best IMO. About your description: I think the highs are detailed without being piercing, but different ears...yada.

And in doing research, it is true that there are plenty of people out there that have specific headphones for different genre's of music. I think that's nuts...but they would probably scoff at my passions too.

Thanks for the comparison.

Headphones are a matter of personal taste. I use them for mixing, but only to place tracks in the stereo field. I rely on my reference monitors for the mix, but again, that is just me. I know others that mix using headphones and get excellent results. I use an older version of the Sony Z7 for mixing, and the trusty old MDR's for band practice.

The only sane way to do this test is to use tracks that you know from having listened to them in pro studio tuned "flat" rooms.

Anything else is chasing your tail aurally if you don't know the tracks cold in a tuned room, otherwise all you are doing is basically choosing whether you like more bass or less bass, mid peak or scoop, treble boost or roll off, etc.

I auditioned a lot of headphones back in 2010 using a CD of 10 tracks that I knew from using them as reference over the years when I would mix or track in various studios to judge the acoustic properties of the control room:

• Faith Hill - Breathe
  • King Crimson - Vroom
  • Peter Gabriel - Your Eyes
  • Rush - Spit It Out
  • The Enlightened Ones - Nagasaki Bypass
  • David Benoit - Cast Your Fate to the Wind
  • Faith No More - Digging the Grave or Tool - Aenima (it depends upon mood which one I use)
  • Johnny Cash - Hurt
  • Natalie Imbruglia - Torn
  • Toad the Wet Sprocket - Walk on the Ocean
  • Wilson Phillips - Hold On
Those 10 tracks, if you know them in a tuned room, you will know which tracks should have the SSL spike in the vocals, shallow or deep bass, etc.

I ended up, after listening to a bunch of headphones, picking ATH-M50's. Price versus performance, they reproduced everything I remembered about the tracks most consistently. I have travelled the world several times over with them for 7 years. The only thing I had to do was replace the ear vinyl last year and they still sound good when I put them up against other headphones using the same tracks now.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your reviews and comparisons.

There are so many threads about headphones that I have decided to hijack this one, instead of opening another one :rolleyes:

I have been using the expensive Audeze LDC-2 for several years.

The ear-pads are completely rotten, for a second time. Replacements are very expensive, so I prefer to invest in new headphones instead of expensive ear-pads. Closed or semi-closed, and easier to wear than the massive LCD-2.

I have narrowed down my search to two:

- Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (I've read at head-fi that it is more neutral/accurate/detailed than DT770 or DT990)
- Audio Technica ATH-m50

Anyone has compared these two?

I have the ATH-M50s now, and was thinking of getting the DT880s to try out.

I will say the ATH-M50s were not real comfortable for me for extended periods when I got them. The ear pads would compress until there was pressure on my ears, and then I was done. I bought some replacement velour pads for some different headphones, and they've been pretty good since. They aren't as comfortable as new though, so might be time for new pads again. I've had these for some time. In fact, I don't really know, does the sound fall off on these things over time? I've never managed to keep a pair this long. Usually the cord gets destroyed long before anything else wears.

Thus far, the best headphones I have used were Sennheiser HD600. They aren’t really suitable for studio work I feel (they sound way better than just about any other headphone, and for mixing you don’t necessarily want that — your mix will probably not sound the way you like if the listener has anything less). They sound so good for listening to music, though, I have two pairs.

For studio work I’m a big fan of AKG 271 mk2, not the least because they’re closed back, and yet still have great highs (but not “too great” like Sennheisers).

+2. Mofi's are the best IMO. About your description: I think the highs are detailed without being piercing, but different ears...yada.

And in doing research, it is true that there are plenty of people out there that have specific headphones for different genre's of music. I think that's nuts...but they would probably scoff at my passions too.

Thanks for the comparison.

Do you always use the 'power' with your Mo-Fi's?
I often use without turning them on, because the signal is hot enough coming from my headphone jack.
Just curious if I am mixing out on some secret sauce..?

I often use without turning them on, because the signal is hot enough coming from my headphone jack.
I use the built-in amp when I’m listening to a source that needs the boost. Otherwise, I leave it off. The “secret sauce” is more volume.

Last edited:
I've already had the HD600. I liked them to listen music , until I got the Audeze LCD-2. I didn't like the HD600 for music production.

Last edited:

Not always on. If I was you I'd mix without power enabled, then listen through a draft with the power on to see that needs to be 'trimmed/accented/etc'. Find a mix that works well with both settings.

IMO.

Back
Top Bottom