Headphone correction EQ curves

The IR Player is for those times when all you have to do is run a single IR, and you don't want to spend the extra CPU that the Cab block uses to do all that it can do.
I know that but what I'm saying is there might be internal coding in the cab block that affects the sound

Nope. Not unless you dial in the Cab block to affect the sound. The Cab block is just an IR player with more features.
I see , thanks for your input but is there anyway to prove that ? Just playing the Devil's advocate here
other than to listen , of course

I'm gonna try it tomorrow , thanks again

I see , thanks for your input but is there anyway to prove that ? Just playing the Devil's advocate here
other than to listen , of course
You answered your own question. ;)

If you have a spectrum analyzer, you could feed each block white noise, and see what comes out. For that matter, you could use the Axe III's built-in spectrum analyzer.

I tried a speaker left and right test and the IR block keeps "Mono'ing" the stereo playback unfortunately

I have an input block > IR player 1 > Out 1
IR player 2 > Out 1

I have IR Play 1 to input mode to Left and vice versa to IR play 2
Does this apply to headphones as well? At the moment I’m just running the “left”-file in my IR-player and leaving the “right”-file unused in my IR list. Seems to work well but I might miss something...?

Thank you for this. Im definitely going to try this out. I wish we had correction eq's for popular PA speakers and FRFRs too. I think this is very under explored.

When it comes to speakers, it’s more about the room they are placed in. There for there is room correction eq software out there like sonarworks reference 4 or some speakers have onboard DSP solutions which again measure the room with a calibrated mic and apply a correction EQ. (like neumann or jbl speakers). And this only fixes the frequency response and upto a certain point the phase but can’t do anything about the decay times which can only be addressed by acoustic treatment.

Does this apply to headphones as well? At the moment I’m just running the “left”-file in my IR-player and leaving the “right”-file unused in my IR list. Seems to work well but I might miss something...?

I looked at the spectrum of the left and right for my headphones and there seems to be no difference in teh eq curve

Put the wav files through Cab-Lite From fractal and you can see for yourself

You would need a separate R/L headphone correction if placed after stereo effects but only one IRP if placed before all stereo effects -- assuming actual L/R differences are small or 0.

Global EQ is stereo so no issues there.

You would need a separate R/L headphone correction if placed after stereo effects but only one IRP if placed before all stereo effects -- assuming actual L/R differences are small or 0.

Global EQ is stereo so no issues there.
Yeah, I got one IR player before my delays and it seems to work fine.

Any EQ block would be used for tone shaping however you like. The correction EQ settings go on the global EQ to make your headphones/monitoring more neutral.
I found the page for the beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohms which I use and it gives a chart of Parametric EQ and Fixed Band EQ. Which one is the Global EQ? Also, how do you know which Fc, Q, and Gain correspond to what in the global EQ?

Are these corrections for just making your presets sound better in headphones or to make the sounds in your headphones be more representative of what your FOH sound will be? Or both?

Are these corrections for just making your presets sound better in headphones or to make the sounds in your headphones be more representative of what your FOH sound will be? Or both?
They are to get a flat response from your headphones. If your FRFR or front of house isn’t flat response then it won’t make the sounds between headphones and FOH identical (and there will always be a difference due to volume), but it will remove any effect of headphones colouring how you setup your presets (ie bass heavy headphones make you dial in less low end in the preset)

sounds pretty interesting... the only thing that really looks odd to me and that I dont understand: for some modells there are a 4-5 different suggestions for the eq that differ drastically... sometimes minus 6db for 16 or 8 khz while the other sugestion says boosting the frequency by 2 db... makes me wonder what to do.
see superlux 681 models

... maybe a a dedicated headphone-out global eq page, and adding the 10-band parametric eq option there.

I created a GEQ block that contains adjustments for both of my sets of headphones using the channels, and stored it in my library. When I want to check a preset’s EQ I drop the block right after the Out block, add a shunt between them, then reverse their order, so the final output is adjusted for my headphones. After tweaking I reverse their order and delete the GEQ block and save the preset again.

I trust that the AF3 will hold my desired EQ when I connect it to my computer or cabinets so I don’t need the block in the preset any more, and I can copy that block to my FM3 and use it there if necessary.

I created a GEQ block that contains adjustments for both of my sets of headphones using the channels, and stored it in my library. When I want to check a preset’s EQ I drop the block right after the Out block, add a shunt between them, then reverse their order, so the final output is adjusted for my headphones. After tweaking I reverse their order and delete the GEQ block and save the preset again.

I trust that the AF3 will hold my desired EQ when I connect it to my computer or cabinets so I don’t need the block in the preset any more, and I can copy that block to my FM3 and use it there if necessary.
Can you post a picture of the block and it’s settings?

Can you post a picture of the block and it’s settings?
I can, but unless you have the exact same headphones as I do, it will hurt your sound when using them, and creating one is so easy that you could have it done in less time than I can post it or type this in.

Just find your headphones in their database, add a GEQ block immediately before your Out1 block, and add the values they show for a graphic equalizer. (Typically the second set of values on the page.) Save the GEQ block to your library for later reuse. Remember to remove or disable the block when you are finished adjusting the preset. Personally, I remove it, because I see no reason to consume memory or CPU needlessly.

Set other channels on the block for other headphones if you check with several others.

I don’t reduce the output level using their value, I keep the output at 100% or 0db.

I can, but unless you have the exact same headphones as I do, it will hurt your sound when using them, and creating one is so easy that you could have it done in less time than I can post it or type this in.

Just find your headphones in their database, add a GEQ block immediately before your Out1 block, and add the values they show for a graphic equalizer. (Typically the second set of values on the page.) Save the GEQ block to your library for later reuse. Remember to remove or disable the block when you are finished adjusting the preset. Personally, I remove it, because I see no reason to consume memory or CPU needlessly.

Set other channels on the block for other headphones if you check with several others.

I don’t reduce the output level using their value, I keep the output at 100% or 0db.
Ok cool I’ll try this

Back
Top Bottom