Headphone advice...

paulbag

Inspired
I know this has been covered but my searches come up empty...
What are you guys using for headphones with the Axe? I've got an old pair of mf40's I bought with my xt live about 10 years ago and was thinking about updating.
Who offers the most bang for the buck these days?
Thanks!

I would recommend Grado Labs. I have the SR-60 and the PS-500. They both work great for the Axe, I run them through a Little Dot DAC II headphone amplifier/DAC from the digital output of the Axe FX II. I can work my presets at home on these, and I get consistent tone on my CLRs when cranked.

For best value, I think the SR-60s are hard to beat. I recently tested a lot of high-end headphones (Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic etc) before settling for the PS-500. A/B-ing them with my old SR-60s (they are on their 3rd pair of ear cushions) - I have to admit that the difference is not very noticeable, and really not worth the price difference. But they do look good :)

I recently picked up a pair of AKG K240's to replace my horrible $20 Sennheiser's that I had forever. I really wanted to grab a pair of the Audio Technica M50's, but my local store was out of stock and they were blowing the AKG's out for $50 off. So far I'm very happy, but I don't have something better to compare them to. I'm still breaking them in so we'll see how they pan out.

Beyerdynamic DT880s 250ohm version. An industry standard. They are rock solid.

Yeah I have the Pro version of those and I don't trust anything I hear until I hear it through these headphones. And they're not even that expensive considering how good they sound. They're like the SM57 for guitar cabs. The one and only. :) Whatever you do don't buy those subwoofer headphones like f.ex. Dr.Dre Beats (I have those also) they're just not good for mixing and especially not good for guitar tones.

Yeah I have the Pro version of those and I don't trust anything I hear until I hear it through these headphones. And they're not even that expensive considering how good they sound. They're like the SM57 for guitar cabs. The one and only. :) Whatever you do don't buy those subwoofer headphones like f.ex. Dr.Dre Beats (I have those also) they're just not good for mixing and especially not good for guitar tones.

Oh yeah, I meant the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro as well :)

This topic has been beat to death numerous times... so I'll try to summarize:

• Which headphones is much like tone, VERY subjective and there is NO BEST set (personal preference, so check out head-fi dot org for reviews on all brands/types/prices)
  • What's your budget? (All else will be tied to your answer)
  • Buy the best that you can afford, then....
  • What do you plan to use them for - setting up presets for gig levels, or just listening to your playing?
  • What's your experience level with phones?
  • If setting up presets, and little exposure to "pro" headphone use, see "buy the best" comment above.
  • If you have used phones before (pro level) then it should not be too difficult to map gig level presets (adjusting for FM effect) to what you hear in your current phones (assuming slightly better than those mentioned in next bullet)
  • If playing at home and listening to your own playing - the world is your oyster.. anything from $9.99 Wally World JVC specials, to top-of-the-line, expensive, noise-cancelling, on-ear or circumaural or... you get the picture.
  • finally.. everyone has an opinion on what's best.. injest, breath, relax, research, decide.

Suggestions:

• Senn HD280
  • Sony MDR 7506
  • AKG 240M
  • BEyer DT880

I got the Beyerdynamc DT990 Pro open-backs 250 Ohm. Especially great when you don't want isolation and these are very comfortable.

I would also recommend sticking with open backs in general unless isolation is a requirement. Closed back headphones are in typically less natural and accurate sounding

Sure everyone has their own preference but with Axe-Fx and all the FRFR and super flat frequency response we keep talking about 90% of the time there's no headphone as flat as the DT880 Pro or Sennheiser HD800 which is about five times as expensive. It's an industry stardard design that has been proven as a working headphone for over three decades.

Sennheiser HD650s.

I'm right and everyone else is wrong. ;) :p :D:D:D

Carry on!!! :D

Edit: Ok, on the serious side, take s0c9's advice. Beyerdynamic DT990s, and the Grado labs stuff both get the thumbs up from the majority of members.

Personally, I have Sennheiser HD650s. I love them.

Also, if you're getting a set, make sure to burn them in before you do any serious work on them. IOW, play music at a loud listening volume through them for at least a couple of hours. Brown noise will also work. I played Strapping Young Lad for 24 hours through mine.

Last edited:
I like the DT770 Pro. Needed the isolation and I like the slightly stronger bass and slight mid scoop it has compared to the 880, which costs considerably more. Compared the 770 directly to the 880 the differences really aren't that great! I tried the comparably priced selection of whole wall full of 'Phones and this was easily and by far the most transparent and pleasing of the bunch. I even ordered three cans online because those other two weren't on the wall (M-50 and Ultrasones) and returned the other two.

HD650 is also very nice, but twice the cost.

Still! Try them all yourself! What works for some doesn't work for all.

Another vote for the Grado SR-60 here. Great bang for the buck and sounds great with the Axe.

I definitely recommend an open-ear design unless you absolutely need complete isolation. Sounds much more natural and gives a bit more of the "in the room" feeling.

No pair of headphones is perfectly flat. The most important thing is that you get to know your headphones and how they compare to other systems. My studio monitors are "flatter" than my headphones and I know that when I put my headphones on the bass and low mids will seem slightly boosted. I just have to remind myself not to start cutting too much out because even though it sounds hyped with the headphones it probably sounds just fine on other systems.

I like the DT770 Pro. Needed the isolation and I like the slightly stronger bass and slight mid scoop it has compared to the 880, which costs considerably more. Compared the 770 directly to the 880 the differences really aren't that great! I tried the comparably priced selection of whole wall full of 'Phones and this was easily and by far the most transparent and pleasing of the bunch. I even ordered three cans online because those other two weren't on the wall (M-50 and Ultrasones) and returned the other two.

HD650 is also very nice, but twice the cost.

Still! Try them all yourself! What works for some doesn't work for all.

Hi Dutch, firstly, sorry about kick starting up an old thread. I have a pair of 770s (Pro 250 ohm) and have been wondering if it was worthwhile upgrading to Blue Mo-Fis. Have you (or anyone else) ever A/B'd your 770s against the Blue Mo-Fis? Would be interested in hearing opinions on how the 770s compare please.

Back
Top Bottom