Heading to the Amp show.

Scott: did you go hear the Helix at all?

Yes sir I did.
i listened intently listening for something better or different, unfortunately for me I didn't hear enough of a difference to really have that cool vibe, that I had hoped would have been there. It does look pretty.

you and I know, that thing is going to sell well, but for me at my stage of playing(been playing since I was 10) I want tone, I want feel. I get a great rep within the church community for my tone, that to me besides playing the song with passion and confidence, is extremely important to me. I just think the Axe-8 has that holy crap thing going on. Feel and tone for days. Your opinion might be different, I would just say to anyone. Try both before you decide. I had the luxury of going a floor below to check it out. That helped my decision.

Yes sir I did.
i listened intently listening for something better or different, unfortunately for me I didn't hear enough of a difference to really have that cool vibe, that I had hoped would have been there. It does look pretty.

you and I know, that thing is going to sell well, but for me at my stage of playing(been playing since I was 10) I want tone, I want feel. I get a great rep within the church community for my tone, that to me besides playing the song with passion and confidence, is extremely important to me. I just think the Axe-8 has that holy crap thing going on. Feel and tone for days. Your opinion might be different, I would just say to anyone. Try both before you decide. I had the luxury of going a floor below to check it out. That helped my decision.

Something better or different compared to what? The AX8 or HD500X? Did it sound similar to AX8? How much might the $10,000 monitors hooked to the AX8 make a difference?

Yes sir I did.

I think the take away so far is that the Helix sounds pretty darn good, and nobody is going to make fun of Line6 like they have in the past. They are going to have a huge user base for this thing with many talented players sharing tips/presets etc..., so you know we will hear some tones that will blow people away. It will happen.....especially because no one expects it from Line6.

The amp tones that are maybe close enough, good effects, intuitive UI, the sleek modern looks, big LCD, scribble strips, 8x8 USB, dual amps, mic/vocal options, etc...etc.....will make this a sure winner. There is no unit out there(even Axe2/KPA) that will have more pro options built in.

The constant discount coupons that the online retailers offer, plus the no interest payment plans will also definitely not hurt the sales of this thing......$1250-$1350 will be what most folks pay for a new Helix. Full retail($1499) if going with a no interest payment plan.

The AX8 I fully believe will sound better, but will it be by enough to make most guitarists ignore all the other factors?

Cliff himself has said that IRs are by far the most important part.......

Price for the AX8 is going to be interesting......

Something better or different compared to what? The AX8 or HD500X? Did it sound similar to AX8? How much might the $10,000 monitors hooked to the AX8 make a difference?

I didn't understand it either, guess he liked the AX8 better than the helix.
Exactly the opposite opinion can be found on the helix TGP thread. Tells me not to rely too much on someone else's opinion and rather rather have these in my own hands, side by side. Hell, sometimes I don't even trust my own opinion :))....

I didn't understand it either, guess he liked the AX8 better than the helix. Exactly the opposite opinion can be found on the helix TGP thread. Tells me not to rely too much on someone else's opinion and rather rather have these in my own hands, side by side. Hell, sometimes I don't even trust my own opinion :))....

After years of reading The Gear Page I have more or less totally abandoned that site. Way too many fan-boys of all products and almost no constructive/productive discussion. The only opinion I trust is my own hands-on experience.

Since you have been all over the threads here and at TGP I would think you would know that the Matrix booth has both the AX8 and Helix side by side going into their line of monitor products.

I just love how guys ask someone for their opinion then question the replies with speculation. :roll

You really should've went to the Amp Show. You keep asking the same questions over and over on several different forums.

You aren't going to get black and white answers. It's all subjective. "Did it sound similar to the AX8"...no offense, but what kind of a response are you looking for?

I didn't understand it either, guess he liked the AX8 better than the helix.
Exactly the opposite opinion can be found on the helix TGP thread. Tells me not to rely too much on someone else's opinion and rather rather have these in my own hands, side by side. Hell, sometimes I don't even trust my own opinion :))....

What I'm saying, is that from what I heard with my own ears, it wasn't even close to the Axe-8, it just wasn't. Please make your own mind up as you don't know me from Adam. YouTube is not going to do what you want, as its kind of 2d, if you know what I mean.

I mean no disrespect to the Helix it will sell to people who don't have an axe-8 to compare it to.

If you love your Axe-fx, you know how that sounds. it's a different processor true, but the same sound quality, with hi end everything else. They did not skimp.

You can't play an interface. I'm not sure about you, but I'm not changing anything that I haven't programmed to do so when I'm in front of my church congregation, besides Axe8 edit looks great, if you want a pretty interface.

I'm typing this as my wife is driving 70 mph back to Phoenix.

Please do the due diligence and check out both before you decide is all I ask. You will not be disappointed with an honest comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I'm saying, is that from what I heard with my own ears, it wasn't even close to the Axe-8, it just wasn't. Please make your own mind up as you don't know me from Adam. YouTube is not going to do what you want, as its kind of 2d, if you know what I mean.

I mean no disrespect to the Helix it will sell to people who don't have an axe-8 to compare it to.

If you love your Axe-fx, you know how that sounds. it's a different processor true, but the same sound quality, with hi end everything else. They did not skimp.

You can't play an interface. I'm not sure about you, but I'm not changing anything that I haven't programmed to do so when I'm in front of my church congregation, besides Axe8 edit looks great, if you want a pretty interface.

I'm typing this as my wife is driving 70 mph back to Phoenix.

Please do the due diligence and check out both before you decide is all I ask. You will not be disappointed with an honest comparison.

Hey Scott, thanks for all the info and great pix/videos. Really appreciate your efforts keeping us homebodies up-to-date.

Have a safe trip home!

Hey Scott, thanks for all the info and great pix/videos. Really appreciate your efforts keeping us homebodies up-to-date.

Have a safe trip home!

Thanks
I'm about 133 miles from my house as I type.

What an awesome end to a great weekend.

I saw the price and flipped. Aggressive is right.

We never got to the beach it was raining. We ended up going to the house that I lived in when I was 4, living in San Bernardino. The house was not in good shape. It's crazy how I remember the street being so long when I was 4. In reality it was the third
House
From the corner.

829478bb57d2d1756a1f33f672167213.jpg

That's my friend 'August Zadra' (from The Dennis Deyoung band) taking the AX8 for a spin. He was begging them to let him buy one today..........Matt told him.....Soon

Another side note, He was really digging the auto-engage feature on the Wah. And then later he held a note and it went into an endless harmonic feedback at a volume that we were talking over.............You should have seen his face:encouragement:

(HBE model)

Hey Scott, great stuff. I should've said hi, I wasn't keeping track of this TGP post. I was standing in front of you during Javier's set.

Have a safe trip back to AZ!

Back
Top Bottom