Heading to New york city next week. Where should I go?

scottburrow

Fractal Fanatic
Where are the cool places to go see and hear music in New York City?. My wifes busy monday night and Tuesday night, so I'm left to my own devices, and I'm not staying in the hotel, when there is music to be listened to. Musically I listen to everything and I'm not afraid of the sub way so what say you?

If there are things not musical, I'm interested in those too.

Luke, Thanks a lot, I just bought a ticket. I was going to see him and Michael Landau when they came through Phoenix awhile ago, but they sold out right when I got there. This should be awesome. Thanks again.

Not really a night-time event, but maybe check out the guitar stores on 48th Street, Sam Ash and Rudy's. I think they close at 8pm or so, lots of cool stuff there.

Yeah, that was definitely my plan, thats weird that they are all on the same street. But I guess that's how they do it New York city.

From a Chicagoan's perspective... If you can afford to, I'd advise to stay in Manhatton. That is where everything is.

I went there twice and caught a Yankee's game both times. I stayed in Queens. I don't advise that. I spent some time in the Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn. Manhattan is alive ALL THE TIME!!! I was on Broadway at midnight on a Wednesday and there was at least a half millions people just walking around. Crazy!!!

I'm staying at the Mariot Marquis. The company that my wife and I work for is paying for the suite. I figured I would figure out all logistics when we get to the hotel Sunday afternoon. She has to work and I took the week off, so I'm going to go wherever I can. My wife was talking about some Red bus thing, that takes you to all the sites. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it worth it?

If you're flying in I'd recommend the first place you should try to go to is any airport in NYC .... there are 3 good ones I think. Just let the pilot know that any of them will do and try and avoid the spaces between them. :razz

Never been to NYC which is a complete shame but I'm afraid of being indecently assaulted ..... not by muggers but the airport international arrivals security officials! :shock

Hope you have a great time anyway.

If you're flying in I'd recommend the first place you should try to go to is any airport in NYC .... there are 3 good ones I think. Just let the pilot know that any of them will do and try and avoid the spaces between them. :razz

Never been to NYC which is a complete shame but I'm afraid of being indecently assaulted ..... not by muggers but the airport international arrivals security officials! :shock

Hope you have a great time anyway.

Thanks man, I have never been there either, so I hope to have a great time. Coming from Arizona, I just have no reference for this, it's overwhelming, and extremely exciting at the same time. I heard about some bar called the Bowery today, so I might try that as well. I really haven't been that productive at work today, because I keep looking for things to do there.

You're going to be on Time Square. You should go to the theater. It's an experience in itself and if you've never done that, it's very much worth it.
I don't know what's on right now, but I would highly recommend it. I was definitely not raised a "Broadway" guy. But if you want to see and hear some professional musicians and singers at their best, you've got to check it out. Last time I was there I went to see Wicked. Amazing!

You're going to be on Time Square. You should go to the theater. It's an experience in itself and if you've never done that, it's very much worth it.
I don't know what's on right now, but I would highly recommend it. I was definitely not raised a "Broadway" guy. But if you want to see and hear some professional musicians and singers at their best, you've got to check it out. Last time I was there I went to see Wicked. Amazing!

Yeah I definitely want to see some shows while I'm there. We were hoping late wednesday or thursday night, that we can find something. we were going to see the tree lighting at rockefeller plaza on Wednesday, but was hoping that we could check something out after that.

My wife and I have never really had a honey moon, so this is it. When I got remarried she had two 9yr old twins and I had a 6yr old. So after we got married, we went to disneyland with the brood. We figured were a family now, so I guess it's time to start being a family. Well Dec 6 that makes 11 yrs, so I wanted to plan something really cool for her, such as one of those horse buggy rides around central park enjoying the night, smelling Horse farts.;)

I'm staying at the Mariot Marquis. The company that my wife and I work for is paying for the suite. I figured I would figure out all logistics when we get to the hotel Sunday afternoon. She has to work and I took the week off, so I'm going to go wherever I can. My wife was talking about some Red bus thing, that takes you to all the sites. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it worth it?

Scott you will love NYC, it's like one big movie set. The red bus thing you mention is a really good way to see the city and you can hop on/off wherever you like. You can get a 2 day pass and a choice of routes. Personally I'd recommend having a drink in the lobby bar at Grand Central Station and just watch the world go by. Also visit the viewing deck at the Rockefeller Centre and St Patricks Cathedral which is nearby. Music shops on 48th are good but watch out for the guys on streetcorners trying to hustle you, just ignore them and don't let them engage you in conversation or you'll never get away! Finally, when you've had enough of the hustle and bustle go visit the New York Highline (google it for more info) which is a city park on an old section of elevated railway. Man there is just so much to see and do, just have a good time and do as much as you can!

Scott you will love NYC, it's like one big movie set. The red bus thing you mention is a really good way to see the city and you can hop on/off wherever you like. You can get a 2 day pass and a choice of routes. Personally I'd recommend having a drink in the lobby bar at Grand Central Station and just watch the world go by. Also visit the viewing deck at the Rockefeller Centre and St Patricks Cathedral which is nearby. Music shops on 48th are good but watch out for the guys on streetcorners trying to hustle you, just ignore them and don't let them engage you in conversation or you'll never get away! Finally, when you've had enough of the hustle and bustle go visit the New York Highline (google it for more info) which is a city park on an old section of elevated railway. Man there is just so much to see and do, just have a good time and do as much as you can!

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. You are the second person to recommend the new york highline. He said if I don't go there he would shoot me when I get back...Nice friend. Thanks again,I'm going to try all of that, after all its a city that never sleeps right...

This going to be so cool.

On Wednesdays you can go to Time Square around noon and purchase half price Broadway show tickets for that evening.

That hope on, hope off bus tour is ok. I believe the Statue of Liberty is still closed, but Ellis Island is very informative.

I'd definitely hit the Village, on the east side I'd hit Trash and Vaudville, you'll likely run into a few rockstars shopping there. There is a fantastic vegetarian restaurant on the corner of 7th and W. 4th St.

If you need shoes, west 8th St. When you are close by, have lunch at Jekyll and Hyde, it's touristy but fun none the less.

The only guitar store worth talking about is Rudy's on 48th St, and he's a class a prick.

If you are into jazz, you can go to
'Smalls'. It's really really small cafe but musicians that come by there are superb :).
Iridium sounds great!
Broadway shows are definitely nice.
Fat Cat NYC : live jazz : bar : pool : ping pong : your local West Village hangout (not sure if you want to go there while touring NYC but a place to chill playing board games, drinking and listen to live music

NON MUSIC:

CITY:
Near midtown: Macy's christmas decoration is definitely a good NYC attraction, 30th Street Guitars. (I love the guys there and they have quite the collection of guitars and amps)

DOWNTOWN:
Go to Highline. Nice chillax walk.
Go to Chelsea seafood market. Great food and just to walk around
SOHO for great food and shopping (if you are into that.. lol)
Battery park near freedom towers (It's been flooded by Sandy so I'm not too sure of its state but it's a beautiful walk by the river and you can see statue of liberty and NJ by the waters. Great when the sun is setting)
Lombardi's pizza (spring & mott st. I believe)
Free Staten Island Ferry.

Brooklyn:
Brooklyn Bridge Park. (Great view of the city from there)

Plenty of other music scene but haven't looked at them much these days so I forgot many of great places. I'm sure you'll find PLENTY to do there :)

have a great time! Happy Thanksgiving :)

Back
Top Bottom