HBE sounds different after FW8

I have used the hbe into my asm12 loved it on fw7. Used it everyday. Then upgraded to fw8 and it just sounds alittle different on the same asm12. It's not bad sounding I still love it but it does sound different. Idk. Maybe it's me. Lol.

Well, new firmware means new amp modelling, so it would be weird, if it sounded exactly the same.

I gotta be honest. Before I got the AX8 I was extremely envious of all the updates fractal users got. Now having the unit and going through a handful of updates, IMHO most of them are very subtle in nature for the amps that I typically use. I definitely don't log as many hours playing like I used to so maybe I'm just less discerning or maybe my ears aren't as sharp as some. All that said, still a fantastic box which was well worth the expense.

It sounds totally different to me. I've been using the preamp only into the power section of my 5150 III 50w. All of them sound drastically different now. They are all super bright. The HBE v1 used to be very dark and have lots of saturation. I'm not getting that at all anymore. I had to turn up my input trim to like 1.6 to get the same amount of gain as before. And its still very bright. Yes, I even tried making a brand new patch. Yes, the power amp sims are off and supply sag set to 0.

Yes, I found the amps were brighter in Q8 compared to Q7. I've either used the BE/HBE models which are based on older darker sounding versions or using more high-end roll off in the cab block.

FWIW, I'm liking some of the brighter characteristics of the amp models. I was finding myself having to dial out what seemed like muted, dark tones before.

I prefer the v8 BE and HBE, they feel less over exaggerated in the low-end, they were always a bit boom for me. Maybe try increasing the bass, depth, MV and/or turn on the fat switch.

Back
Top Bottom