Having unpredictable latency issue with Logic, Apogee Duet, and AXE USB - any ideas?

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi,

using an IMac with Apogee Duet, Logic 9.0, and AXE II. Normally I just use the Apogee Duet, going out from AXE II XLR's into Apogee Duet, which then feeds into Logic and produces sound from studio monitors. Today I also discovered I should set Apogee Duet inputs to +4 rather than -10...

Anyway, in Logic, I set up Preferences to use the AXEFX II for input via USB, and the Duet for output. I think the audio buffer in Logic is set to 256 by default... Set front AXE II panel output all the way to get to unity gain. I also take just - 1db off global outputs just to be safe.

This worked mostly very well, BUT from time to time I'll suddenly unexpectedly get a whole lot of latency/delay from playing to playback. Only way to stop it is to switch AXE II off and back on again. Any idea on what causes this?

Mainly worried this might happen when recording something great/inspired...any ideas on how to solve it? Be good to answer here in case others have similar issues/problems.

Check out this thread.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-suspected-logic-pro-9-issue-anyone-else.html

Make sure you set the transfer rate to 48 kHz in Logic as this is what the Axe Fx II is set to operate at. I was having a similar issue and rather than turn off the Axe and then turn it back on, I would just reset the sample rate in Logic Audio Preferences. But I didn't have to do that after changing the transfer rate. I also discovered that it may have something to do with changing presets or tweaking settings using the Value knob. I have Axe Edit up and did all my editing via my iMac and had no issue. When I went for the knob I noticed the latency coming back.

KH2203, that is VERY helpful. Will reset Logic 9 to 48k as you suggest, think you are right, I usually use Axe Edit but I did some front panel knob twisting, that may have been the culprit (or not) but will keep in mind.

If all this works, will post back on that success -- thanks again!

I get these degenerative delays constantly when using USB AXE II in. They come at the same time as the snap crack pop and then degenerate to horrible noise, two second delay and then no sound...restart time. I think mine is the same driver problem that many Mac users are having.

Last edited:
Whenever I start having weird latency problems with Logic and the Axe-II, I simply change the buffer settings from 32 to 64 and then back, and hit "save changes". It works every time (the exception being when I had the Adlimit running in my output channel. Whoopsy Daisies.) and is a lot faster than restarting the Axe. Anyway, just my way of dealing with it. I don't even know how I stumbled across the fix. Good luck gents!

Yes, toggling the buffer settings or the DAW interface selection can, best case, fix these weird sounds with certain setup permutations, and worst case, "fix" the AXE II noise problems for 30 seconds or so.

Back
Top Bottom