Having troubles keeping sustain

Tanax

Inspired
Hello!

I'm curious if I have some settings incorrectly set as I can only keep around 10 seconds of sustain before it - rather quickly - dies out on me.
I recently(like yesterday) replaced the battery in my guitar so it's not that.

My input level for INSTR IN is set to 20.8% to avoid clipping.
I'm using a EBMM JP6 with the stock pickups so it should be good to go for some serious high-gain stuff but even with the 5153 with drive set to 7+, it still only keeps the sustain for 10 seconds.

I tried searching for this issue on the forums before posting but couldn't find anything relevant.
If you know where I might find the answer, please point me to the correct thread :)

Thank you,
Marcus

Oh and noise gate is set to..

Thresh hold: -70 dB
Ratio: 1.42
Attack: 10 ms
Release: 100 ms
.. I haven't touched anything else on it.

Try the settings attack 1 millisecond. Release 100ms. Ratio 4:1 and then threshold to taste.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Oh right..!

Okay, I tried it with these settings:

Ratio: 4.10
Threshold: -81
Attack: 1 ms
Release: 100 ms
Input Z: Auto

It does sustain for longer now. But even now, after 10 seconds it dies to no sound at all within 2 seconds(like really fast) on single-notes. Is it supposed to behave like that?

A few things to try:

Plug into the bottom jack of the JP6 to make sure you are running the mag pickups passively.

Turn Threshold fully counterclockwise to completely disable the Noise Gate.

4.00 is the ratio.

Yes, it is a fast gate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

Ah, I see.
Is there any settings that will allow me to have a slow gate in that case? I'm looking for maximum sustain and right now I can only achieve 10 seconds of sustain before my tone completely dies, clearly something must be wrong with my settings as I've heard recordings of the Axe2 being able to sustain for much longer? :)

A few things to try:

Plug into the bottom jack of the JP6 to make sure you are running the mag pickups passively.

Turn Threshold fully counterclockwise to completely disable the Noise Gate.

That did make it A LOT better. It still dies out rather quickly, especially on single notes.
Quick question, could this be a string-issue? I haven't replaced my strings in a while..

How loud and what type of monitoring system are you using? You can get sustain for days with the noise gate off, but you might still need a little speaker/guitar interaction.

How loud and what type of monitoring system are you using? You can get sustain for days with the noise gate off, but you might still need a little speaker/guitar interaction.

Yes. Loiud speakers moving lots air to move those strings. And lots of gain and a compressor and finger vibrato will help too.

Dead strings and fret buzz can impact sustain. Try a different guitar. Or maybe an e-bow. :)

Yes. Loiud speakers moving lots air to move those strings. And lots of gain and a compressor and finger vibrato will help too.

Dead strings and fret buzz can impact sustain. Try a different guitar. Or maybe an e-bow. :)

You can't get infinite sustain with headphones. You need acoustic feedback into the guitar.

Ah, I see! I didn't know this :)
Unfortunately I don't have another guitar I can try with, but I will definitely try changing the strings and see if that makes it a little better - I've been meaning to change them anyway.

Also, I am planning on getting studiomonitors, active ones, which I believe is FRFR?

I'd turn your input way up as well. I use a JP6 and my input is at 48%.

Oh wow, really? Don't you get clipping then?

In the past, every time I started thinking my tone blew, it turned out my strings were old. Though not as much with the Axe, it still has an impact.

Ten seconds is a long time, actually. Regardless, input level is important. I have a somewhat hot, modern-style humbucking pick-up, and have had my input level at 32%. I just now turned it up to 72%, no clipping in sight...and damn, it sounds so much better. With lower preamp gain than I've been using. Simple things.

Actually, 100% input level still doesn't show a red blip - but I seem to hear just a slight unnatural presence - so 80% seems just right. I wonder whether some people's problems with tone are a result of improper input level.....

Last edited:
In the past, every time I started thinking my tone blew, it turned out my strings were old. Though not as much with the Axe, it still has an impact.

Ten seconds is a long time, actually. Regardless, input level is important. I have a somewhat hot, modern-style humbucking pick-up, and have had my input level at 32%. I just now turned it up to 72%, no clipping in sight...and damn, it sounds so much better. With lower preamp gain than I've been using. Simple things.

Actually, 100% input level still doesn't show a red blip - but I seem to hear just a slight unnatural presence - so 80% seems just right. I wonder whether some people's problems with tone are a result of improper input level.....

I just tried turning the input level up to 48% as previous suggested in the thread. Now the input bar gets up to orange on a much more frequent basis, still no clipping though and it is much better.
I'm just going to have to try changing strings + getting studiomonitors and see if all that makes it better =3

Cheers for all the help guys!

With most of my guitars 28% is the limit. Goes to red after that.... EBMM Luke III is very hot with the boost engaged.

Im totally into sustain, but 10 seconds really, one one thousand 2 one thousand 3 one thousand, Im bored of typing this already, Ive never heard a 10 second sustained pause on any album in my life?

Back
Top Bottom