Having trouble with a latching footswitch

is9582

Power User
Hello-
I seemed to be having exactly the same problem as Gibson335 (I am even using some of my old Boogie MkIIc footswitches for this purpose) was initially describing in his topic. I set mine up to toggle the Global Bypass, but nothing seemed to be working when clicked. After beating my head against the wall, I finally decided to change what the footswitch controls. I set it to toggle to the tuner, as that would be extremely obvious whether it worked or not. When I clicked the footswitch, it immediately changed to the tuner. Now that I know my footswitch and cable works, I guess I'm wondering how to accomplish my original intent. I'm still really new to the Axe-FX Ultra, so is there anyway to handle toggling off/on a group of blocks (or features) with this latching switch? I've got some patches that at least seem to have multiple blocks bypassed, so .... HELP!!

I appreciate everyone's assistance,

Lee

Were any blocks stored as bypassed in the presets you were testing? Those are what get controlled as a group by the global bypass function. If everything's stored as active the switch would have nothing to do for that preset.

Bakerman-
Thanks for the reply. I went back to the patches I was working with, to verify in fact there were blocks stored in the bypass mode. There are and from what I can see, they should be obvious in the mix (both flanger and phaser are stored bypassed.

Since I am fairly new to this system, can a block be stored in bypass, that don't fall under the "Global Bypass" function? Let's say I store a block in bypass, and only want it triggered by a IA or CC signal (I hope I'm making at least a little sense, and not sounding totally stupid). Is this a possibility? Just trying to make some sense of this, since I'd verified the physical footswitch was working properly when set to trigger the tuner.

Thank you again for the expertise.

Lee

Yes, almost every block has a bypass item in the I/O menu. A switch/CC can also be set as an external (8 available in I/O menu) to allow different functions in different presets.

I'm not sure what else would prevent the global bypass from working normally. Is the pedal type set to "latching"? Also beware that if it's in the on position when you switch to a new preset, the next press would be a redundant off, then the next should engage the bypassed blocks.

Affirmative as to whether the footswitch is set to latching. As to whether the switch is starting in the on position, that makes complete sense. I have gone back to the Axe and tried multiple "stomps" with the same unfortunate negative results. :? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

One thing that would exclude a block from the global bypass group is a bypass modifier. If one's assigned there will be a line through the icon below its byp. mode knob.

Is that describing what I'll see from the front of the Axe, or from Axe-Edit? I sure wish Axe-Edit was completely fleshed out so there might be a hard-copy manual available. I seem to do better with a paper manual. Guess I'm probably showing my age. ;)

That's for the front panel; in Axe-Edit it's right click. If you've had Axe-Edit running the entire time it's probably a good idea to test global bypass again without it.

I've only had Axe-Edit connected a time or two, basically just testing the waters. I wanted to make sure I could upload patches from others, so I could potentially learn from those who have a lot more time under their belt making it sound great. When I was testing the switch controlling the Global Bypass, the Axe was in stand-alone mode.
If I was viewing a patch on Axe-Edit, how would a block look different if bypassed individually vs bypassed globally? And maybe the same question at the front panel of the Axe? Perhaps this will help with my self diagnosis?? :idea:
Thanks for the continued assistance.

Lee

In Axe-Edit the modifier icon is the same shape (located between the selection arrows for bypass mode) and turns yellow when there's an assignment.

Back
Top Bottom