Having trouble parting with a high-end twelve-string Taylor

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Not sure if I have a question, or am looking for guidance, or just saying things out loud to help myself out if hesitation... but here we go.

Years ago, when I had a lot of disposable income, I bought a Taylor 855. This particular one has the most incredible action I've ever seen on any acoustic at all, let alone on a 12-string. Being a jumbo, it resonates like no other, looks stunning, sounds and plays fantastic. The problem must be me, I just don't play it. At all. Ever.

Lately, I'm downsizing in all kinds of areas, and music gear is part of it. Sure, I could use the money, but I don't urgently or desperately need it right now. I'm thinning out for the sake of thinning out.

But that guitar, as unused as it is, is causing me anguish. I know darn well that once I sell it, I'll never ever ever have such a guitar again. I'm no longer in that income bracket. So that's probably one of the reasons I'm having such a hard time deciding to list it on Reverb.

Still, why am I struggling so hard? I don't play 12-string, period. I may never be able to get such a guitar again, but I really don't need to, do I?!?

Anyone else out there with "separation anxiety" related to great instruments? Any advice?

I force myself to play the instruments. If they aren't played, and if they are re-sellable, I just give it one last play and let it go. I don't miss that SG w/p90s that made me feel like Sean and Leeds. I don't really miss that Gretsch Falcon that was too big but was full of mojo. I had a 12 string - loved it for about 3 songs and about 3 years and let it go.

Stuff weighs you down. Part of it for my situation is we move every 2-3 years...so I force myself to reevalutate gear all the time. The Axe-FX got me from 9 amps to 3. :)

Play it, record it, and let it go to be musical elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

I have a Rickenbacker 325 C64, a 325 C58, and a Gretsch County Gentleman that I can't bring myself to sell even though I'll never play them. Like you, I bought them when I was in a much better financial situation. I'll sell them if I ever really need the money. Until then, I'll enjoy looking at them and strumming them on occasion. Aside from nostalgic and aesthetic value, they are of no use to me.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with a 2009 Ibanez Jem 7VWH. Great guitar, no complaints. But I play it so little that it still looks showroom new. Just never bonded with it I guess. But I still feel weird about potentially selling it. Maybe we should both bite the bullet...Jem for your Taylor, whaddaya say? (I’m only 20% joking.) Seriously, hit me up if you‘re interested. Lol

Guitars and amps are tools. If you’re not using them for a specific job or purpose and they’re sitting idle for a long time, let them go to someone who needs them. If you need that tool again, go out and find yourself one that fills your needs. That’s part of the the fun of being a guitarist.

Reactions: ESW
You bought it for a reason. I've got too many instances of "wish I had that back." If I like it enough to buy it, I'm keeping it even if for no other reason than it being passed along in great condition after I am gone!!!!

YMMV

I would say if it's not a tool you're using, and there's no significant sentimental value, then offload it and be done. For me, having too many just makes me feel like I have to force a use for it so that I don't feel like it's wasted which creates stress, and stifles my creativity. I do struggle with this, significantly, but when I go over the pros and cons, I often end up finding that selling is the "obvious" choice. All that said, I'm in a position where I can buy another one if I need to; I might feel different if I couldn't.

Anyway, tough call, but to me sell seems like the right move. I find that getting myself to list it for sale is the hard part; once it's listed, then it becomes more of a practical problem and the emotion subsides.

Now, to go take my own advice...

I don’t know??

If you must take the time to post on a forum if you should sell or not. You really do not want to.

The comparison is often made to tools. I don’t turn around and sell a socket set just because it has not been used in a few months. Maybe a bad example, a 12 string is a more of a specialized “tool”, like a soldering iron station is to me, but I had it a few weeks ago when I wanted to re-wire a Strat. Before that had not used the soldering station in maybe 6 months or so.

Also I have a few friends that through the years sell things only to buy back basically the same thing within months, sometimes within days. (We all have these friends) I also have a friend who is 56 like myself and I don’t believe has ever owned a guitar for more than 3-4 years. But I always hear “should of kept that one”

Also don’t like comparing guitars to tool’s although it is somewhat accurate. Reason being: any ½ inch open end wrench will do the trick, any Axe Fx III will sound the same (when loaded with the same firmware) but that Taylor my sound or feel a little extra special and not able to get that again. Again though the years: “should of kept that one” a phrase I hear allot.

If you must sell to meet bill’s, of course.

Had a beautiful Peerless jazz guitar, Bartolucci PU, sounded good; the one I always had dreamt of. After playing it for 3 months it remained 8 years on a stand without ever playing it. Just standing there. Selling it was horrible, but I finally never really missed it. But maybe 2020 is not the best year for selling gear..

Sell it - you may be providing an instrument to someone who is going to use it for it's intended purpose - to create things and bring more music into the world. Sounds corny - but - I actually had that thought when selling some gear before and it helped with the feeling that I needed to keep everything I ever bought, ever. lol Once I got that into my mind, I've never had trouble selling anything especially if it was just sitting here collecting dust.

Back
Top Bottom