Having Trouble Letting Go

Phostenix

Power User
A big part of the appeal to me of going to digital gear was the idea of simplifying. The idea of having one rack and one footcontroller that could do everything was the ultimate goal. (I also wanted to get down to 2 guitars, but that isn't working out....) The only additional gear I have now is a guitar synth.

I think it's been 3 years since I bought a Boss GT-Pro and an FC-200 to start towards the goal. When I got the GT-Pro, I sold off all (both) of my amps & all of my pedals except a handful of basics "just in case" that I put into a cabinet. I kept a Korg G4 Leslie sim with the GT-Pro because it was so much better than the GT's rotary. I got the Axe in March of this year & the Korg is about to go on ebay.

In the last 3 years, I have never once pulled out any of the pedals from the cabinet & used them, but I still don't want to sell them off yet. I'm sure part of it is nostalgia, but I really can't come up with a reason to keep them. I don't really form emotional attachments to gear, I don't name my guitars, I see these things as tools.

Maybe when I decide that I really need an MFC, I'll sell them.

Pedals? Pfft, I wish.

I've got a room full of amps (ENGL, Fender, Marshall, Roland JC, Orange, etc) that I never use, which are all losing value daily yet I can't bring myself to sell them. I tell myself, "maybe a studio client will want to use one of them" but that almost never happens (they either have their own amp, or they end up using the Axe FX).

A big part of the appeal to me of going to digital gear was the idea of simplifying. The idea of having one rack and one footcontroller that could do everything was the ultimate goal. (I also wanted to get down to 2 guitars, but that isn't working out....) The only additional gear I have now is a guitar synth.

I think it's been 3 years since I bought a Boss GT-Pro and an FC-200 to start towards the goal. When I got the GT-Pro, I sold off all (both) of my amps & all of my pedals except a handful of basics "just in case" that I put into a cabinet. I kept a Korg G4 Leslie sim with the GT-Pro because it was so much better than the GT's rotary. I got the Axe in March of this year & the Korg is about to go on ebay.

In the last 3 years, I have never once pulled out any of the pedals from the cabinet & used them, but I still don't want to sell them off yet. I'm sure part of it is nostalgia, but I really can't come up with a reason to keep them. I don't really form emotional attachments to gear, I don't name my guitars, I see these things as tools.

I have a blues jr III and a small pedal board. The pedal board is sitting under my desk for some reason, i need to put it away, but it just sits there. I haven't used it in a real long time. A cool story about the blues jr was that my son is going to NAU in flagstaff AZ, and we went up there for two days because he works at a hotel up there and he got us a room for the weekend. On one of the days, I don't remember which, we went to a little mom and pop music store after dinner. Now I love mom and pop music stores I want to own one some day, anyway I go in and see this blues jr with this country western tolex cover, really neat looking. The guy says that fender only distributes these to mom and pop shops, so I play it and it sounds great, I had just bought my Axe II a few months prior, and had just sold my Ultra, so I had a lot of cash in my wallet, so long story long I buy it and had my son carry it 10 blocks back to my car. It was a great memory, because the sun was just going down, when we left the store, and if you have ever been to Arizona, you know what I'm talking about, you get the coolest sunsets because of all the dust and dirt in the air. So now I just keep it because it created an awesome memory with my wife and son. M@ was talking about this kind of last weekend, you keep using or not selling stuff, because of some memory or attachment that you have to it. I still have an old Morley wah, because a buddy had one in the 70's, and I promised myself that I would have one some day, so I do. It sits on my shelf all dusty.

Tell me about it. But mine isn't regulated just to guitar stuff. If I could sell all the stuff, or even half of the valuable stuff, I could justify buying a stereo powered monitor set up. I'm in a similar situation with my Metric Halo gear. I have some mic pres I haven't used in years but can't bring myself to sell.

As people, we all have this desire to accumulate & collect things. Everybody seems to do it at some level with something. After both of my parents died, we (the kids) had to clean out the house that they had been in for over 40 years (the house I grew up in) so that we could sell the house. It was an eye opening experience for me. I was stunned at just how much stuff my parents accumulated over their lifetimes. Tons of stuff in the basement that no one was using. Tons of stuff that was meaningful to them, but not really to anyone else. Closets & drawers & cabinets filled with stuff.

It made me want to reduce everything I have to digital copies on a memory stick that could be thrown away after I'm gone. :)

Some of the guitar stuff I have has some meaning to it, but I don't know that I need to hold it in my hand to re-live the memories. A nice digital photo of it would probably suffice. :)

There certainly are times when I finally get rid of something & then unexpectedly need it a month later, but I have to think 3 years is a good statute of limitations for guitar gear. The way Cliff is going with this box, it's hard to say that there's anything in my "collection" that can't be recreated with the Axe. If Fractal ever makes a guitar modelling & synth box that I can connect to my 13-Pin connector and integrate with the Axe, I can get down to 2 guitars, too. Gotta have a backup, right? :lol

I sold my Boss GT-PRO, Roland FC-300 and SWR SM-500. I still have my Marshall Shred Master, Korg AX300G and AX300B, ART Pro Gate and Mesa Boogie TriAxis and Simul Class 2:Ninety. I'm trying to sell the Shred Master and Pro Gate but I'm not sure if I'll be able to part ways w/ my TriAxis or 2:90 bc I wanted that rack combo for so long. I want to get a light weight solid state amp to replace my 2:90, so my Axe-Fx rack will be lighter. Once I decide on a SS amp I will probably put my TriAxis and 2:90 in their own rack and play it for the memories and some inspiration. I may keep my Pro Gate and put my TriAxis thru it if I can't sell it for a decent price.

Oh I forgot to mention I have over 20 guitars and basses. I need to reduce my collection bc its just collecting dust and rusty strings

I have a blues jr III and a small pedal board. The pedal board is sitting under my desk for some reason, i need to put it away, but it just sits there. I haven't used it in a real long time. A cool story about the blues jr was that my son is going to NAU in flagstaff AZ, and we went up there for two days because he works at a hotel up there and he got us a room for the weekend. On one of the days, I don't remember which, we went to a little mom and pop music store after dinner. Now I love mom and pop music stores I want to own one some day, anyway I go in and see this blues jr with this country western tolex cover, really neat looking. The guy says that fender only distributes these to mom and pop shops, so I play it and it sounds great, I had just bought my Axe II a few months prior, and had just sold my Ultra, so I had a lot of cash in my wallet, so long story long I buy it and had my son carry it 10 blocks back to my car. It was a great memory, because the sun was just going down, when we left the store, and if you have ever been to Arizona, you know what I'm talking about, you get the coolest sunsets because of all the dust and dirt in the air. So now I just keep it because it created an awesome memory with my wife and son. M@ was talking about this kind of last weekend, you keep using or not selling stuff, because of some memory or attachment that you have to it. I still have an old Morley wah, because a buddy had one in the 70's, and I promised myself that I would have one some day, so I do. It sits on my shelf all dusty.

I'm glad I don't have those kind of quality memories associated with any of my gear. :)

I have a friend with a Blues Jr. I was surprised at how much I liked it. I did give some thought to having a small amp like that, but I got over it. :)

A keyboard player i work with has every synth ever built at his house!!!! it's crazy probably close to 100 k in old analog synths... he can't sell them, :) He has like 2 or 3 of each, he's completely out of control.. and still buying, right now he's having them shipped to my house, so his wife doesn't kill him.. :) It's a desease that needs to be controlled, I'm totally the opposite, as soon as i have something that doesn't get used it goes to ebay right away..

If you're not itching to part with something, and you have the room to spare and it can sit a while, keep it.

I think I had 5 amps and 4 guitars at one time some expensive some not and all I could think about is look at all that money just sitting their. I guess I move through gear enjoy it wile it's there and move on the the next. For now I'm good with the gear I have and it does what I need it to do. I keep pic's of the gear I use to have and live vicariously through that. I would like to get another good amp as a backup to the Axe but with out weekly giging it's just not a priority.

Never had a problem unloading gear when it's clearly dead weight and not being used for anything. Hopefully someone else will then get better use from it than I did. That's not to say that certain pieces don't have their own aesthetic value.

Back
Top Bottom