Having trouble getting a good AC/DC tone

Chiguete

Experienced
Im having a real pain in the ass time trying to get a close AC/DC tone!

Any tips? I was trying to do it without a drive pedal and either I don't get the gain that I want or it has too much ice pick highs (JCM800 #34)... thats why I can't wait for Fractal to incluye the JMP 2003 :)

Anyway what tips do you guys have? Thanks.

Hells Glockenspiel’s is a pretty spot on ac/dc tone to me, thus a clever name for “hells bells”

Ac/dc didn’t use a lot of gain really, I’d try one of the Plexi amps

I think there is a ML cab with the speakers ac/dc used as well

Hells Glockenspiel’s is a pretty spot on ac/dc tone to me, thus a clever name for “hells bells”

Agree there is less gain than you would think.

Ohh to be honest I rarely check out the stock presets... so I will try it today and give feedback :)

Yeha they didn't but I wasn't finding a good match of gain vs punch so far, either it had too much gain or was too ice picky.

Witch IR is that one???

Plexi 100 Treble, low gain, Own hammer G12-65, and the dual expander trick. Puts it right in there for me for the older stuff.

Plexi 100 Treble, low gain, Own hammer G12-65, and the dual expander trick. Puts it right in there for me for the older stuff.

I think you need two compressor blocks to do the Solo Dallas wireless trick and the ax8 can only do one block. Might be able to duplicate it another way, probably some previous thread about it.

I think you need two compressor blocks to do the Solo Dallas wireless trick and the ax8 can only do one block. Might be able to duplicate it another way, probably some previous thread about it.
Yes usin one Comp in front and then on the Dynamics page in the Amp Block :)

I have this one you can try! My only suggestion is to turn it up when you play it :D

Attachments

• AC-DC.syx
    12.7 KB · Views: 39
Yes usin one Comp in front and then on the Dynamics page in the Amp Block :)

I guess that would somewhat achieve the effect, though perhaps its a bit different with two comp blocks in front of the amp block, to really get that compander/expander thing the old wireless units did. Guess it depends where in the amp block that dynamics makes it affect, on the output or before the preamp etc...

Kind of an academic question though as its likely the best and only option and surely better than nothing.

Not to rub it in, but the latest "Hell's Glockenspiels" factory patch on the III comes with two comp blocks set up doing the Solo Dallas thing as is.... cool little touch of authenticity you don't see in most brands factory presets!

Check out the AC/DC rig rundown. They go into great detail on how Angus' amp is set up including line voltages and bias. They even show very clearly where they set the knobs on the amp.

Back
Top Bottom