Having to really crank my gt1000fx and axe to get any volume...:/

bgrizzmayne

Inspired
Hey guys-

I've gigged my axe a fair bit, but am running a gt1000fx into a matrix nl212. Getting enough stage volume had been a problem in certain rooms. I'm talking cranking the matrix to almost 2 or 3 o'clock (only goes to about 5 o clock)

Ditto for the axe. I don't think I was hitting any clipping, but I'm running the matrix in the parallel mono mode. Just doesn't seem very loud. Any thoughts? I'm not sure if my input was tickling the red, but still...

Ben

Hey guys-

I've gigged my axe a fair bit, but am running a gt1000fx into a matrix nl212. Getting enough stage volume had been a problem in certain rooms. I'm talking cranking the matrix to almost 2 or 3 o'clock (only goes to about 5 o clock)

Ditto for the axe. I don't think I was hitting any clipping, but I'm running the matrix in the parallel mono mode. Just doesn't seem very loud. Any thoughts? I'm not sure if my input was tickling the red, but still...

Ben

Were the signal lights on the Matrix amp (next to the volumes) flickering or lighting up at all? If not then the amount of power the amp was kicking out was small. The lights should give a good indication of how many watts you are kicking out. For the NL212 in 8 ohms mono, when the lights start flickering on the GT1000 you'll be providing the cab around 40w. The lights will start to stay on at -6db which is 80w.
Are you running the cab in mono? If the cab is in stereo mode (ie a mono signal going to each speaker) then the impedance will change to 16ohms a side and the wattage will drop to 20w when the lights start flickering (-9db).

I'll have to check- I actually don't think the lights are going off. I'm running the poweramp in parallel mode, and my NL212 in mono. Coming out via a speakon cable. The knob on the matrix just isn't very smooth for volume output- maybe this is by design but I get like nothing from 0-5 in terms of volume. Cranked my axe as well- wonder if something is wrong with my GT1000fx.

Are you sure you have put the switch (near the inputs) on the Matrix to "parallel" and are you sure you are using the X output?

Are you sure you have put the switch (near the inputs) on the Matrix to "parallel" and are you sure you are using the X output?

X output is for bridged mode only. You'll get an out of phase signal if you are using that in any other mode except bridged. Best and simplest to just switch to stereo mode on the back of the amp and take the corresponding channel to the cab in mono mode. If the signal lights are not flickering, then although the amp is receiving a signal it could do with being a little hotter. If you have the Axe's output knob cranked as well and still aren't clipping the unit, you could increase the Global EQ level for the corresponding output you are using. Just keep it flat and boost by +3db at a time. Also check that the signal you are feeding the Axe is sufficient. Check the input levels. Sometimes a parameter reset is necessary after an update as there may be something turned down somewhere.

I'll have to check- I actually don't think the lights are going off. I'm running the poweramp in parallel mode, and my NL212 in mono. Coming out via a speakon cable. The knob on the matrix just isn't very smooth for volume output- maybe this is by design but I get like nothing from 0-5 in terms of volume. Cranked my axe as well- wonder if something is wrong with my GT1000fx.

It's an audio taper pot so the effect should be somewhat linear rather than on a valve amp where you go from off to on and then a small margin to calling the cops! Don't be afraid to crank to full if needs be (if the lights aren't flickering). There's a chart here which explains the signal lights and what they mean in terms of power outputted Technical & Product Guides - FAQ. For every +3db increase in volume, you have to double the power. At -9db the amp is only putting out 12.5% of it's rated power, at -6db, 25%, -3db 50% and 0db will get full power if needs (and another visit from the cops!)

Back
Top Bottom