Having Sustain Issues

That's the unit I have but that's a really shitty demo IMHO, my brother is borrowing mine or I'd post a clip ASAP. This thing is fucking amazing (that's right I said it) because it enables you to select they type of feedback you want:
1. note sustain only - no harmonics just fundamental note
2. note which blooms into octave harmonics and
3. you can control the intensity AND the speed of the tranistion

I may go over to his house and steal it back. You can have headphones on, record in total silence and have walls of screaming controlled feedback going on. It's perfect for getting that gigantic, "the cops are on their way cuz it's 3:15 AM" tone without the visit from local authorities.

If any of you guys are seriously interested, I'll go over, grab it and post some sound clips.

-Greg

That's the unit I have but that's a really shitty demo IMHO, my brother is borrowing mine or I'd post a clip ASAP. This thing is fucking amazing (that's right I said it) because it enables you to select they type of feedback you want:
1. note sustain only - no harmonics just fundamental note
2. note which blooms into octave harmonics and
3. you can control the intensity AND the speed of the tranistion

I may go over to his house and steal it back. You can have headphones on, record in total silence and have walls of screaming controlled feedback going on. It's perfect for getting that gigantic, "the cops are on their way cuz it's 3:15 AM" tone without the visit from local authorities.

If any of you guys are seriously interested, I'll go over, grab it and post some sound clips.

-Greg

Sure, go for it, if it's not too much trouble! I'll definitely listen :)

That's pretty much exactly the idea I had except I envisioned the input as a line-level input from the Axe-Fx.

That sounds like a future product Cliff. By the way, thank you for V13.02 and the hi-res IR's. Absolutely incredible. I continue to get blown away by the constant progress and evolution of the AxeFx. You sir are the epitome of the ultimate in customer service.

OK, so here's the deal, recorded using a Mathias Jabs MasterCaster into a Sustainiac model "C", output into the AxeFxII, Bogfish Brown with the new hi-res OH_212_BOG-SH_FN-42_Studio-Mode cab. NO MONITORS, USED HEADPHONES ONLY!!!! Yes I know, too much gain and clams but you get the point.
https://soundcloud.com/gcenker/sustainiac-test

Attachments

• Sustainiac Patch.jpg
    Sustainiac Patch.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 47
You're welcome. The feedback is truly amazing. Because it uses a mounted transducer, the guitar truly feels "alive" - it will produce those overtone harmonics and feedback without being plugged into an amp. Quite the smokin' studio tool if volume is an issue.

From Bob Ross article here: - Electric Electric Guitar : Recording Magazine -

Take (amplified Axe-Fx output) and connect it to any reasonably heavy-duty full range driver, 5" or smaller. Now affix that speaker directly to the body of your electric guitar! Depending on the size of the driver, this could be on the lower bout, or down below the tailpiece, or even up on the headstock.

Obviously, if you’re playing a valuable pristine ax, you’ll want to put some careful thought into exactly how you attach this hardware. I’ve used duct tape, C-clamps, and reusable weather stripping, all with adequate results; admittedly, though, the best results I got were when I decided “to hell with cosmetics” and used wood screws to bolt the speaker onto the body of a cheap Japanese Les Paul copy.

The point of this exercise is that by re-energizing the guitar body with its own amplified output, you’ve effectively harnessed infinite sustain and controllable feedback. (Astute readers may recognize this as the theory behind products such as the Sustainiac, but I must tip my hat to Steve Holland and Seth Gussow for introducing me to this technique a decade before those commercial devices were available.) If you have a spare amp head that you can dedicate to this feedback circuit, you can also experiment with an equalizer in the signal path; this offers more control over which frequencies will feed back, allowing you to even out the response over the range of the guitar.

I'm gonna try this sometime.. I've got ch2 of my Matrix gt1000 right there, and pretty sure I can find an old car speaker out in the garage :)

That's good information but sounds like a PITA, just buy a Sustainiac model C and call it a day. It's there when you want it, no muss no fuss and it won't FUBAR your axe.

OK, so here's the deal, recorded using a Mathias Jabs MasterCaster into a Sustainiac model "C", output into the AxeFxII, Bogfish Brown with the new hi-res OH_212_BOG-SH_FN-42_Studio-Mode cab. NO MONITORS, USED HEADPHONES ONLY!!!! Yes I know, too much gain and clams but you get the point.
https://soundcloud.com/gcenker/sustainiac-test

Thanks for the sound clip, stink.

However, the pictures show a horrendous setup with a wire from your headstock routed along your strap... is that *really* how this thing has to be used? If so, I can see it for bedroom playing, but certainly not on stage...

Or am I confusing models etc.?

That's how this particular model is used. Wires and all. However, it should be noted this is primarily for studio recording. They DO make a stealth version where the transducer is integrated into the neck pup. Back in the late '80's I had a Kramer that had this built into the guitar. I wish I still had it.

Last edited:
I'm just surprised that this thread went so long without recommending kegel exercises...

The Sustaniac looks interesting but at $350 and a whole lot of extra wires blobbing all over me, I think I will continue to look into other options. Maybe one of those women's electric razors ala Adam Jones or something. If FAS comes out with a feedback system like what Cliff is talking about, I'm on it like marines on sand bags, for sure.

Well if I was going to do something like this as a DIY project I'd get one of these and attach it to the back of my guitar: Dayton Audio DAEX25 Sound Exciter Pair | 300-375

Then I'd get a small amp of some kind; they sell all kinds of little project amps.

Then I'd put a filter block after the cab and then send it's output to the FX loop. Ideally I'd have the filter frequency controlled by a foot controller so I could sweep the peak of the frequencies I want for my "feedback". I'd then send the 2nd output of the AxeFXII (FX out) to the amp.

Ohhh my if Cliff makes a update with natural sounding feedback and sustain at any volume level...... That'll be the cat's meow :)

Back
Top Bottom