Having Sustain Issues

This is an interesting thread. I am assuming all of the comments on this thread about lack of feedback are referring to a 'silent stage' or highly reduced stage volumes situation?
I imagine any FRFR on stage would provide just as much musical feedback as any stack, and possibly in a more predictable manner. Is this not true?

I imagine any FRFR on stage would provide just as much musical feedback as any stack, and possibly in a more predictable manner. Is this not true?

Not at all from my experience so far with 12.02. I am playing through a pair of JBL PRX 612Ms and playing really loud (hurt you loud). The JBLs sound great but, I can't get them to do musical feedback hardly at all in the way I can always easily do when playing through my Plexi stack. I have to get literally right up next to the speaker (almost touching the cabinet) to get it to even start to feedback. I was wondering if the JBLs might have some kind of built in feedback suppressor.

I have not played with the band yet using 13.02.

Now... I've had this idea on paper for a few years for a device that attaches to your guitar that simulates the positive feedback. I just haven't had the time to build one.

hi Cliff,

once you make it I'll buy it immedialtly as a large percentage of Axfxers guys ! :mrgreen

Bruno

This is the nature of the no-stage-volume beast. Sustain occurs because the sound waves from the speaker reinforce the vibrations in the guitar. It's a positive feedback loop. Without that positive feedback the sound simply dies out quicker. It also substantially changes the tone. I've measured several dB of low mid boost due this reinforcement.

You can compensate to some degree by using a compressor and EQ but it won't be exactly the same. There is no substitute for volume.

Now... I've had this idea on paper for a few years for a device that attaches to your guitar that simulates the positive feedback. I just haven't had the time to build one.
I'll buy one of them too, that would be the only thing I need to improve is the feedback reaction. That sounds like a great idea you wouldn't have to stand in the sweet spot all the time. Would it be wireless? Or can it be wireless. Thanks

This is the nature of the no-stage-volume beast. Sustain occurs because the sound waves from the speaker reinforce the vibrations in the guitar. It's a positive feedback loop. Without that positive feedback the sound simply dies out quicker. It also substantially changes the tone. I've measured several dB of low mid boost due this reinforcement.

You can compensate to some degree by using a compressor and EQ but it won't be exactly the same. There is no substitute for volume.

If you build it...they will Buy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I just tape a headphone speaker to the body. It works, but looks ridiculous, so I'll never do it where people could see me.

This is an interesting thread. I am assuming all of the comments on this thread about lack of feedback are referring to a 'silent stage' or highly reduced stage volumes situation?

Yes, silent stage typically using IEMs. An FRFR will provide feedback and sustain but it is not exactly the same as a traditional guitar cab due to the different dispersion pattern and far-field response. It is certainly musical though. I get feedback just using my near-fields if I turn them up loud enough and it's not terribly loud.

I get feedback just using my near-fields if I turn them up loud enough and it's not terribly loud.

Same here - I was able to have FBs back in 2009 with the 1Gen AxeFx Std. at bedroom volume -> http://www.pacocasanovas.ch/Pacolation.mp3 (1Gen Fw 7.04 Baby, yeah!:mrgreen)

...but I'll buy a Vibesware Guitar Resonator soon.....this works at any volume and even with clean sounds (which is great fun btw..)

I actually have one of these, crazy sustain and feedback even when NOT plugged into an amp.

SUSTAINIAC MODEL C
This is the one I would suggest because it can be added to any guitar, used in any pickup position and doesn't require you to sit in a specific location (like the Vibesware does). For on stage, use a Sustainer or Sustainiac Stealth Pro.

I have a Sustainer and it sounds great. Fun little toy.

Back
Top Bottom