Having Sustain Issues

JazzMac251

Inspired
Ever since I've started using the AxeFX2 as my main rig for gigs that require no stage volume, I've had problems with sustain. I use the Plexi, Matchless, Trainwreck, and Friedman BE sims most often. It seems like no matter how much gain I throw at some of those amps (esp Plexi), I just can't get hardly any sustain. I'll play a huge chord and grab my bar hoping it'll resonate into some feedback, but it ends up fading away very quickly. Bent lead notes up high on the neck degenerate into gainy-buzz disappointingly fast, and if I back off on the gain I then sustain drops even more. No matter what guitar I'm playing or what patch I'm using, sustain is always an issue.

I'm wondering if this is just the nature of how your guitar responds when there isn't an amp blasting sound back at it for it to interact with, or if I just don't have something set up properly. I've seen Mark Day demo some crazy AxeFX sustain on YouTube, but, IIRC, he has cab blasting him in the face. I'm also looking into whether my input gate settings could be the culprit. Any suggestions you guys have on any of this stuff would be great. Thanks!

Ever since I've started using the AxeFX2 as my main rig for gigs that require no stage volume, I've had problems with sustain. I use the Plexi, Matchless, Trainwreck, and Friedman BE sims most often. It seems like no matter how much gain I throw at some of those amps (esp Plexi), I just can't get hardly any sustain. I'll play a huge chord and grab my bar hoping it'll resonate into some feedback, but it ends up fading away very quickly. Bent lead notes up high on the neck degenerate into gainy-buzz disappointingly fast, and if I back off on the gain I then sustain drops even more. No matter what guitar I'm playing or what patch I'm using, sustain is always an issue.

I'm wondering if this is just the nature of how your guitar responds when there isn't an amp blasting sound back at it for it to interact with, or if I just don't have something set up properly. I've seen Mark Day demo some crazy AxeFX sustain on YouTube, but, IIRC, he has cab blasting him in the face. I'm also looking into whether my input gate settings could be the culprit. Any suggestions you guys have on any of this stuff would be great. Thanks!

This is the nature of the no-stage-volume beast. Sustain occurs because the sound waves from the speaker reinforce the vibrations in the guitar. It's a positive feedback loop. Without that positive feedback the sound simply dies out quicker. It also substantially changes the tone. I've measured several dB of low mid boost due this reinforcement.

You can compensate to some degree by using a compressor and EQ but it won't be exactly the same. There is no substitute for volume.

Now... I've had this idea on paper for a few years for a device that attaches to your guitar that simulates the positive feedback. I just haven't had the time to build one.

You build it I will buy it:)

This is the nature of the no-stage-volume beast. Sustain occurs because the sound waves from the speaker reinforce the vibrations in the guitar. It's a positive feedback loop. Without that positive feedback the sound simply dies out quicker. It also substantially changes the tone. I've measured several dB of low mid boost due this reinforcement.

You can compensate to some degree by using a compressor and EQ but it won't be exactly the same. There is no substitute for volume.

Now... I've had this idea on paper for a few years for a device that attaches to your guitar that simulates the positive feedback. I just haven't had the time to build one.

I have this same issue with a lot of my patches....and I have also attached it to the effect of no stage volume and running direct. even with running direct, I still prefer a small wedge next to me with my guitar on it sidewashed on the stage so that I can get that 'feel'.

Try this. FractalCompression - YouTube I always do this on my lead patches and it's great.

+1

Tried this recently on a preset with the same issue as you described. Previously I used a delay block controlled by an expression pedal to simulate the required sustain. No need for that now, after putting in a compressor block as demonstrated in Danny´s youtube video. And it´s both educational and entertaining to watch as well :)

I've temporarily put one of those bass shakers on a guitar to try it. It was too aggressive. Kind of turned the whole guitar body into a vibrator :)

I had a sustaniac and didn't really take to it - not the same as real feedback.

That would be so cool. I've had ideas about this as well: - i.e. something like an e-bow but you would not handle it directly. It would attach to a mic stand at pickup height and be styled something like an old ribbon mic When you would play close to it, you'd get the effect of the electromagnetic field moving the strings. Much cooler than an ebow cuz you'd be able to do cool poses in front of it instead of holding a silly thingy. The electromagnetic field would need to be stronger than an ebow since the strings would be farther away. Not sure if it would be feasible.

One technique that works sometimes for low volume is to touch the headstock gently to a guitar cab. The vibes will generate sustain on some guitars.

That would be so cool. I've had ideas about this as well: - i.e. something like an e-bow but you would not handle it directly. It would attach to a mic stand at pickup height and be styled something like an old ribbon mic When you would play close to it, you'd get the effect of the electromagnetic field moving the strings. Much cooler than an ebow cuz you'd be able to do cool poses in front of it instead of holding a silly thingy. The electromagnetic field would need to be stronger than an ebow since the strings would be farther away. Not sure if it would be feasible.
You basically described this product :D

It's not the same as real feedback either :p
Yep. It's even better, far more controllable :D
But yeah, it's no substitute for loud monitoring if you want to liven up your sound without having to stand in front of a device the whole time.

+1

This is a really cool look at some not so obvious (to me at least) compression settings for sustain FractalCompression - YouTube
That was a great video, thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom