Having problems with FW1.12

All these recommendations to reinstall the firmware are simply bad. Firmware does not get corrupted. There are multiple integrity checks.

Now with that said the reason the OP is having problems is because he's using PC mapping. Ignore Redundant PC does exactly what the name implies. If the current preset # is the same as the received PC nothing happens. It won't change scenes either. The logic is simple: if(patchnumber == current_patchnumber) return; The entire preset load is aborted.

I can change this but I'll have to think about the ramifications first.

The powerup thing sounds like a bug.
Each button sends a different PC. If I dont have the mapping on then the button that selects scene2 will now select preset1 and the button that selects scene3 will select preset2.

All these recommendations to reinstall the firmware are simply bad. Firmware does not get corrupted. There are multiple integrity checks.

Now with that said the reason the OP is having problems is because he's using PC mapping. Ignore Redundant PC does exactly what the name implies. If the current preset # is the same as the received PC nothing happens. It won't change scenes either. The logic is simple: if(patchnumber == current_patchnumber) return; The entire preset load is aborted.

Or are you looking at the mapped PC value to do the comparison?

Here is what is going on. I am upgrading from FW1.10. I have the USB FW1.06.

I installed FW1.12 using fractalbot. When I power on the AXE3 I get the following screen.

View attachment 47901
I cannot get any sound with this preset

If I increment the preset using the right arrow button and then go back I now get the correct preset which looks like this
View attachment 47902
Now I get sound, but I cannot change scenes from my RJM Mastermind LT.

I had this same issue. Turned it off and Turned it on and it seemed to be OK but I then noticed my expression pedals were reacting very slowly. Though now this issue seems to have resolved itself. I'll keep checking but seems ok for now.

MM

meh, ... Remapping is cool, if you have a MIDI controller with just PC# to remap PC# to certain Scene. That`s the "workaround" tool. If you have controllers like the MFC, RjM Masterminds and all the others, you can program CC#`s, scene changes and PC# changes should be programmed `clean` within the MIDI controller, instead of this "remapping workaround".
The whole reason that I do it this way is for the following. I want to have 4 scenes per bank/preset. I also want to take advantage of a feature on the LT called second press. This feature allows me to hit any button a second time to switch to a predetermined LT preset. With this I can toggle between any scene and my lead scene. I tried setting it up without the mapping using IA, but I don't think this feature will work in this mode (not on the LT anyway). Or at least I haven't gotten it to work in the time I spent with it. I don't think the FC controllers will give me this option either (not certain this will not be on the FC's, but this feature was not on the AX8).

I don't think the FC controllers will give me this option either (not certain this will not be on the FC's, but this feature was not on the AX8).
I would`nt do assumptions regarding feature sets of future products. The MFC-101 has the double press feature (globally and/or per preset)...

There is no need to use Mapping with the RJM.
All you need can be done with the RJM. Including double press.
Don`t have the RJM, but if the RJM can handle Presets with PC#=OFF (no PC# is send) and also can send CC# per Preset, than you should be able doing all your needs from your description w/o remapping any PC# on the Axe III.

I`ve made it for the MFC-101 as generic MIDI controller and because the RJM (and any other) is also used as generic MIDI controller, you should be able to transmit the content and the thoughts behind to other controllers as well ...

https://www.cabir.eu/_external_cont...utorial_Fractalaudio_MFC-101+Axe-FXIII_EN.pdf
One of the best things I like about the RJM is that you can save the configuration to a file. This means that you can try new things without fear of ever getting back to your previously working setup.

I couldn't find it in the Axe Fx III manual, but the II manual says:
The Axe-Fx II MIDI Program Change Map (See the Axe-Fx II Owner’s Manual, Section 9.3) has been updated so that SCENE as well as PRESET can be mapped for each incoming program change message. Ignore Redundant PC (under I/O: MIDI) must be ON for seamless scene changes via PC.

I know the Axe Fx III is not the II, but this is different behavior than on the II and (as quoted above) the manual for the II explicitly says to turn it ON.

The name of the setting seems very misleading if it ignores CCs, too...

But for now, enjoy your lake time :)

Edit:

I'm dumb, behavior appears to be consistent but my brain, not so much... Carry on! :)

Edit 2:

Ignore my previous edit... Seems my brain was correct as confirmed below by @Morphosis!

Last edited:
There is no need to use Mapping with the RJM.
All you need can be done with the RJM. Including double press.
Maybe you can explain or share a link relative to switch "grouping"? However it's termed to make a set of CCs be mutually exclusive.

Nope, it`s the same.
Two different incoming PCs# may be mapped to the same Preset, but different scenes. But you won`t repeat the same incoming PC# to map to two different scenes!

After the bug fix fo "Ignore redundant PC" in FW1.12 the unit reacts exactly like it should.
I understand the purpose, which is why I'm concerned ;)

Did you read Cliff's post? He said "it won't change scenes either"...

Actually, I just reread his post and I think maybe Cliff is confused on this one. I think the OP is doing things correctly.

Edit: sorry for the confusing post... I think I'm still not awake.

Actually, I just reread his post and I think maybe Cliff is confused on this one. I think the OP is doing things correctly.

I am no expert on MIDI by any stretch. It depends on whether the comparison is made on the incoming PC which is different or the mapped value which would be the same as the previous.

I am no expert on MIDI by any stretch. It depends on whether the comparison is made on the incoming PC which is different or the mapped value which would be the same as the previous.
It's the incoming PC...

Edit:

Wrong! It should be the target PC.

Last edited:

My fault, you`re right: Checked it:

PC#18 -> 18 / SC2
PC#19 -> 18/ SC3

If using remapping for such a case = ON, you have to set "Ignore redundant PC#" to OFF. Than it works

My fault, you`re right: Checked it:

PC#18 -> 18 / SC2
PC#19 -> 18/ SC3

If using remapping for such a case = ON, you have to set "Ignore redundant PC#" to OFF. Than it works

Ah... Ok, yes. Now I'm back to my original thinking.

This is not the same behavior as the II... And would mean seamless scene changes on the Axe Fx III are not possible with PC Mapping.

Back
Top Bottom