Having more sustain...

Clive

Experienced
... but without inscreasing gain controls or using compression.

Do you know how to do this with the Axe FX only ?

I guess if you do not want to use more gain or compression you would have to extend it with delay or reverb, use the hold pedal, sustain for ever!

I'm looking for any technique that could help me (studio tricks that can be reproduced with the Axe...) but I found nothing.

Some kind of reverse envelope or time based (lfo, adsr) control of volume such that the preset level is increased as the notes die off.

Also get the pickups as close to a speaker as a you can without ill side effects.

Even though it's not in the AxeFX itself, new strings and making sure your pickups aren't too close to your strings. Again, just trying to help your overall sustain issue. Cheers.

Some kind of reverse envelope or time based (lfo, adsr) control of volume such that the preset level is increased as the notes die off.

I am absolutely not an expert in using this kind of settings but this seems to me very interesting. Could you please barhrecords post a preset to illustrate this ?

Thanks.

This is the very definition of a compressor. Sense the signal level and attempt to ratio it at the output by modulating gain ( or more typically by modulating attenuation).

In all honesty I have noticed FW18 seems to provide a LOT more "singing" sustain than what I remember FW17.x as having.

Good times.

IMHO if you're having sustain issues with the Axe Fx II. Most likely it's your guitar not your setting or the Axe. But you could double check your Gate Settings to make sure. But yeah the guitar is key, it's not about woods so much as it is about the bridge and the Nut. Meaning if the bridge is made out of material that doesn't allow the string to sustain or i fthe bridge is not setup correctly, same with the nut, you will lose sustain like crazy. Other things could be pickup height, maybe to close to strings or old strings.

So to improve sustain, find out which part of the guitar is holding you back and replace it. Also you could install a Sustainiac PIckup, or use an EBOW "I have an Ebow myself"

yeah, you're sort of asking to not use the very tools you need to make it happen...outside of the ebow or an infinite verb type thing....

yeah, you're sort of asking to not use the very tools you need to make it happen...outside of the ebow or an infinite verb type thing....

Yes, or else it woud be too easy 8)

I wondered if I could find a parameter in the amp block to help to do that. Obviously, there is not.

I know direct recording with the Axe is all the rage, (and it's very convenient) but there's nothing like the interaction of a loud amp and speakers with the guitar for pushing out the sustain in a natural way.

another point is to work to get a killer vibrato with your fingers - it'll make the tone sustain quiet long...

This is the very definition of a compressor.

Yeah, but doesn't a compressor sense when the signal crosses a threshold and REDUCES the gain by a certain ratio per dB above the threshold?

I initially thought compressor too, but what he said here was INCREASING the patch volume as the signal decreases. Obviously, you'd only want to do that to a certain point.

Yeah, but doesn't a compressor sense when the signal crosses a threshold and REDUCES the gain by a certain ratio per dB above the threshold?

I initially thought compressor too, but what he said here was INCREASING the patch volume as the signal decreases. Obviously, you'd only want to do that to a certain point.

Yup thats how it works. You compress the loud parts of the signals so that you can turn everything up a little bit. By turning it up, it doesnt sound any louder, but things ring out longer.

Back
Top Bottom